BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #89
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I have a three week old 2010 M3 with the automatic start/stop function. The default is that it is always on.

Most annoying.

Anybody know how to permanently turn it off?

Thanks.
On my 2011 I just push the button and it stays off. Only the light stays on. It is there for me should I be stuck in heavy traffic or healed up due to construction or an accident ahead. I don't use it day to day only as mentioned before.

Why does it not work for you in the same way?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #90
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

You should use the auto start/stop feature. When u r stopped why let the engine idle? It wastes gas and is pure pollution. Yes, I'm a tree hugger that drives an m3 as responsible as I can.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #91
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
You should use the auto start/stop feature. When u r stopped why let the engine idle? It wastes gas and is pure pollution. Yes, I'm a tree hugger that drives an m3 as responsible as I can.
It's impossible to be both a tree hugger and an M3 owner. Don't kid yourself you're saving the planet with that 1% greater efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #92
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero
Quote:
It's impossible to be both a tree hugger and an M3 owner. Don't kid yourself you're saving the planet with that 1% greater efficiency.
Yes, you are correct. Notice I said as responsible as I can be.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #93
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, you are correct. Notice I said as responsible as I can be.
Where's the fun in that?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #94
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

I have driven a loaner with this, I cannot push the clutch,put it in 1st then start to go fast enough before engine start. In any case I dont notice any lag. the big thing I like is that when at a light, it shuts off its quiet inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #95
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

you probly can code it out with software coding..

|ESS VT1-550 510whp|MRF MID|AKRA REAR|CKS COILS|FORGESTAR|CSL TRUNK|GT4 Lip|3D-DESIGN
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #96
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM3 View Post
Forgot to respond to the durability part. As an engineer, 'you' can pretty much design a vehicle to satisfy increased duty cycling for restarts for its designed lifespan. This would tend to place greater demands on engine components such as starter motor and battery (especially so because many electrical functions remain in limited operation (cabin fan) during Auto Stop. Both starter motor and battery are heavier duty design. Although the literature states that Auto Stop will not occur when cold I believe this is relative as mine will stop at only 50 degrees C oil temperature and fundamentally do not like the idea of this in way of durability; guess it works when it's snowing though that doesn't occur in most of Australia. Although the engine is designed to use the feature over its lifetime with minimal failures, I'm placing bets that my engine componentry will last longer not using the feature. The best way to accelerate life test most electro-mechanical devices is to cycle them on and off. I'd take some convincing to disprove the theory... the choice is still yours...
Well, lots of parts that move with the engine running are not moving when it shuts off. I would argue its going to save wear and tear on those parts. So, it all balances out.

Let's face it, this feature is not about saving the individual motorist a bit of gas; it's about saving all of humanity a lot of gas in totality. A couple of liters per driver and you're talking real money.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #97
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OerdingE93 View Post
you probly can code it out with software coding..
you are correct about that.

On US cars it defaults to off but in some other countries they have to turn it off every time! That would drive me crazy..

I'm retrofitting my car with it for fun..

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #98
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
No it's not. I care about wasting gas, so I bought my WIFE a hybrid.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #99
Adobong_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP MW; 2008 545; X5d

I have the 2012 e92 M3 and the Auto Start-Stop default setting is OFF (which means the OFF is lit all the time) BUT earlier this evening coming out of a drive thru while stopped, the engine stopped and the Auto-Start-Stop symbol showed up on the display cluster DESPITE the "OFF" sign was lit up. I freaking panicked because there were cars behind me and it wouldn't restart I had to push the ENGINE START Button to restart! (panicked not because of the car malfunction but because it would be embarrassing to step out of a stalled e92 M3) LOL

Last edited by Adobong_M; 09-09-2012 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #100
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM3 View Post
Forgot to respond to the durability part. As an engineer, 'you' can pretty much design a vehicle to satisfy increased duty cycling for restarts for its designed lifespan. This would tend to place greater demands on engine components such as starter motor and battery (especially so because many electrical functions remain in limited operation (cabin fan) during Auto Stop. Both starter motor and battery are heavier duty design. Although the literature states that Auto Stop will not occur when cold I believe this is relative as mine will stop at only 50 degrees C oil temperature and fundamentally do not like the idea of this in way of durability; guess it works when it's snowing though that doesn't occur in most of Australia. Although the engine is designed to use the feature over its lifetime with minimal failures, I'm placing bets that my engine componentry will last longer not using the feature. The best way to accelerate life test most electro-mechanical devices is to cycle them on and off. I'd take some convincing to disprove the theory... the choice is still yours...
I'm going to hope the starter and battery are uprated, and count myself a winner, since I don't use the auto-stop feature, but maybe they will last longer. I tend to keep fast BMWs forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #101
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
I belong to this camp. IMHO, the car should remember the setting in the key along with the EDC and other settings. So people can have it their way. It is likely that this feature is programmable. We just need to figure out how.

I also would like to understand how this puts more wear on the motor as the motor is NOT running??? I presume the battery and starter are designed for the extra load.
My wife's 2008 Highlander Hybrid has this feature. She is on 120k miles and going with no sign of battery or starter issues. That thing turns the egine off for just about ANYTHING. It even shuts the engine off while driving if the computer thinks that the electric drive will be enough for the time being.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wear and tear. These systems have been pretty well researched for the hybrids. It really comes down to personal choice. I chose to leave it off, but not over worry about the starter. I also agree that there should be a setting in Mdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #102
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exclamation

In a hybrid there is a large electric motor and battery as integral part of the drivetrain. Not even a comparison, the bloody thing takes off on the electric motor alone!

I am betting people are concerned of the additional use on the starter and ringgear.
Appreciate 0