BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

How much will you lose in handling with these tires?
Granted im not tracking the car at all. I know they say all-season tires dont handle as well as summer tires. Currently im on OEM 19' Continental ZCP equipped. It would be nice to get a wider tire that also can run through some light snow. I assume they will fit with no rubbing or spacers. I dont like spacers and i would never use them.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
I can tell you when I get them, but probably NOTHING. But I'll gain a significantly quieter ride, significantly longer tire life, and better performance in cool and cold weather, which is when I prefer to drive my M3 (no bugs ).

Ignorant folks think we're talking about the same tires in a Civic, but these are 'ultra high performance all-seasons', which are the highest performance category within all-season, and only a few notches below max summer, which is the 2nd highest category of all (just behind extreme summer). We're talking about a tire with significant performance bias, but still capable of handling winter conditions, which most of us face. This is the ticket for the majority of folks not living in the snow belt, and who don't track their cars. By the way, they have the same 'Y' (186 mph) speed rating as PS2s, which is still overkill on a car limited to 160 or so (167 indicated), just in case folks still don't think they're performance oriented .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #25
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
All modern cars get it from the tranny; that's why changing tire diameter increases or decreases speedometer error. I'm not sure how the ECU interprets wheel speed sensor input for DSC/TC purposes, but it only needs relative differences.. along with input from the yaw sensor, obviously.

As far as odometer accuracy, most cars are pretty accurate. But for some weird reason, most cars are WAY more optimistic with the speedometer than they need to be to cover their butts for understating speed lawsuits. I've used 3 different cars to the same destination, and all 3 recorded between 400.0 and 400.1 miles. And yes, the worst speedo error was the M3, according to the same police radar unit entering one of the towns, so apples with apples.
Thanks for the speedo sensor location info. I routinely use the speed reading on my Garmin GPS (no OEM GPS) rather than either of our cars' speedometers.
      03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Granted im not tracking the car at all. I know they say all-season tires dont handle as well as summer tires.
Check out the videos in my previous post here and you can decide for yourself http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...99&postcount=7

Quote:
Currently im on OEM 19' Continental ZCP equipped. It would be nice to get a wider tire that also can run through some light snow. I assume they will fit with no rubbing or spacers.
The tires are indeed slightly larger than the original, but the difference is just 1% so definitely no rubbing. I'm on stock suspension mind you. In fact if I'm running 9x19 / 10x19 ZCP wheels, I'd probably ditch the 245/265 width tires and go with these sizes anyway.

Quote:
I can tell you when I get them, but probably NOTHING. But I'll gain a significantly quieter ride, significantly longer tire life, and better performance in cool and cold weather, which is when I prefer to drive my M3 (no bugs ).
Well, I changed out my PS2s at 20k miles.... Continental WARRANTIES the DWSs for 50k miles, provided that you're able to rotate them. Maybe that means they handle like crap? Well, here's another video clip, some on-ramps off-ramps in 50F weather today, you decide:

Quote:
By the way, they have the same 'Y' (186 mph) speed rating as PS2s, which is still overkill on a car limited to 160 or so (167 indicated), just in case folks still don't think they're performance oriented .
These DWSs are Y-rated, so up to 186mph / 300km/h, so definitely more than 20mph of what a stock E9x M3 can possibly do, so the safety margin is there. Though, keep in mind that the PS2s that came with these cars are (Y)-rated, which means MORE THAN 186mph. So, don't put these onto an ESS VT-625 car :P
Appreciate 0