BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
kpao
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe, '11 E93 M3

Exact height of cargo area in an E93?

Sorry if this is a repost, couldn't find the answer with my first three search terms.

Does anyone know the reasonably-exact (+/- an inch or two) height of the area under the folding-roof shelf in the E93 trunk at its lowest point? I'm flying to MUC tomorrow for ED (if the volcano blesses me) and have to make a luggage decision here.

I know, I know, I should have measured it the last time I saw one...

Last edited by kpao; 04-20-2010 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

No, but I will measure it for you when I get home if no one else posts the info first.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

I can measure for you too, you want to know the deepest part? I think it would be more relevant to know the least deep part because thats what will determine if your luggage will fit or not.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
I can measure for you too, you want to know the deepest part? I think it would be more relevant to know the least deep part because thats what will determine if your luggage will fit or not.
I think he means the deepest part of the shelf, in other words the lowest protrusion into the space by the shelf. The E93 floor is flat as you know.

Edit: I assume you want to do some top down driving so by the lowest point you mean positioned so as to lower the top. Just checked -- walked to the garage at work. You have 7.25" to 7.33". Measured the space with cardboard and then measured the cardboard with a ruler. The front lip would appear to be the lowest part and that you'd have another 3/4" to 1" if the luggage didn't extend to the trunk lid area. That's NOT the case though as you have support spars as low as the lip running about 18 inches apart front to back and about a foot into the trunk there's a metal crossbeam just as low as the lip.
I think you should plan on folding the back seat down to stow some of your luggage.

Last edited by BigHat; 04-20-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think he means the deepest part of the shelf, in other words the lowest protrusion into the space by the shelf. The E93 floor is flat as you know.

Edit: I assume you want to do some top down driving so by the lowest point you mean positioned so as to lower the top. Just checked -- walked to the garage at work. You have 7.25" to 7.33". Measured the space with cardboard and then measured the cardboard with a ruler. The front lip would appear to be the lowest part and that you'd have another 3/4" to 1" if the luggage didn't extend to the trunk lid area. That's NOT the case though as you have support spars as low as the lip running about 18 inches apart front to back and about a foot into the trunk there's a metal crossbeam just as low as the lip.
I think you should plan on folding the back seat down to stow some of your luggage.
With the "thingy" down there is a whole pile of room at the back of the luggage compartment. You can fit quite a large bag in there.

The luggage space is very wedge shaped with the "thingy" down -- I would agree the clearance at the front edge (closest to the bumper) is about 7"
      04-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
With the "thingy" down there is a whole pile of room at the back of the luggage compartment. You can fit quite a large bag in there.

The luggage space is very wedge shaped with the "thingy" down -- I would agree the clearance at the front edge (closest to the bumper) is about 7"
So how do you know it will clear? Sorry, I'll have my 2011 a week as of tomorrow and obviously need to study this issue further. My SA cautioned be that it's quite easy to do thousands of dollars of damage to the roof if you ignore the cautions or try to wedge something where you shouldn't. How do you load that big bag? Any fears it might shift into a bad location or does the "thingy" (LOL) hold it forward and clear of the mechanism?

I knew the truck space was going to blow, but it really is even worse
than I expected (I did play with one beforehand though) and have just decided that items will ride in the folded rear area. I am eager for some workaround you may have discovered. I miss my accessory bag with an air compressor, jumper cables, detailing spray, towels, etc. Love to find a way to stow it out of sight.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
So how do you know it will clear? Sorry, I'll have my 2011 a week as of tomorrow and obviously need to study this issue further. My SA cautioned be that it's quite easy to do thousands of dollars of damage to the roof if you ignore the cautions or try to wedge something where you shouldn't. How do you load that big bag? Any fears it might shift into a bad location or does the "thingy" (LOL) hold it forward and clear of the mechanism?

I knew the truck space was going to blow, but it really is even worse
than I expected (I did play with one beforehand though) and have just decided that items will ride in the folded rear area. I am eager for some workaround you may have discovered. I miss my accessory bag with an air compressor, jumper cables, detailing spray, towels, etc. Love to find a way to stow it out of sight.
You only have to worry about the side areas of the trunk.
The "thingy" has to be down for the top to lower so you don't have to worry about that area.

BMW sells a very nice fitted luggage set that fits in the rear seat area perfectly.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
So how do you know it will clear?
The fold down tray will not lock if you put something underneath it that is too big. Nor will the top lower if the fold down tray is not locked into position.

There are areas on the side of the main trunk area that can also hold things -- but there are big red verboten stickers there -- so only a complete idiot would wreck the mechanism.

My car is in the detailing shop right now or else I would go measure but my guess is one of those BMW bags would easily fit in the cargo area WITH the "thingy" down in the locked position.

I found this on a search:

Went out to the Scottsdale Princess Hotel today to measure the E93's trunk dimensions to know what size luggage to bring (or not bring) on my April ED trip. As you may know from other posts, BMWNA shipped ~50 E93s to Scottsdale by Air (according to the DE BMW rep onsite) for a press release activity over the past 2 weeks that is just ending (rep said the cars are going back by ship). BTW, what a sight to see all these E93s lined-up in a tent prepared to be shipped out.

DE BMW rep gave me a demo of raising/lowering the top with the CA remote, then with the top up we opened the trunk and I pulled some measurements. When one views photos of an open trunk (like from the Detroit Auto Show; sorry I forgot to bring my camera) one thinks the trunk space is large, but it is not. The dimensions are: 29.5" wide, 15.5" high, ~31" long/deep, and some very small space on either side of the rear area behind the tail lights for maybe a camera case or very small parcels. The space available would be a challenge for more than 1 regular or rollerboard suitcase, but a few duffle bags properly stuffed will fit OK.

Last edited by Doctor J; 04-20-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
kpao
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe, '11 E93 M3

Thanks very much for the data everybody. With only 7" I realized that no suitcase I own is going to be useful so I decided to just f--- it and toss it in the back seat.

Writing this post from my Munich hotel after several pints of Hofbrauhaus' finest... Can't wait for tomorrow!
Appreciate 0