BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #23
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Trois View Post
Paris...you?

Agreed. It's not easy to find insurance here. M3 is rated 33CV by the French system and very few companies will insure cars with high hp ratings. Banks cannot do it and neither can most of the chains. They'll look at you like you're crazy and tell you to go buy a normal car

I spent a few weeks looking and the only offers I could find were from AXA and Allianz. Price was actually reasonable. I was expecting to pay more given how few companies will do it. I have no sense how it compares to the US though...it's been too long.
Also in Paris. When I was in Germany Allianz had some good quotes and they also provided coverage for track use (occassional and as a supplement). I haven't asked them here though. Do you have a white M3 sedan? That is the only other one I have seen in Paris.

Which service center do you take yours in for service? I have not had very good experiences with any of them so far, but the new one outside Paris (Velizy) seems to be better than most.
      04-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
M_Trois
France
Rep
Drives: E90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Also in Paris. When I was in Germany Allianz had some good quotes and they also provided coverage for track use (occassional and as a supplement). I haven't asked them here though. Do you have a white M3 sedan? That is the only other one I have seen in Paris.

Which service center do you take yours in for service? I have not had very good experiences with any of them so far, but the new one outside Paris (Velizy) seems to be better than most.

Nope I am Jerez black. So that means we are at least three sedans in Paris. I've never seen another one.
Anyway I hardly ever take it out in the city as the whole parallel parking by ear thing is absurd.
Which arrondissement? I am 7th/15th.

I have no experience with the Paris service centers yet. They were pretty bad at selling cars in the first place so I can't imagine the service is great, but that's not unusual in France

jblaze I wouldn't lose it by waiting on insurance. It could take a while to get that together. And make sure to check that it's a France origin car. You can ask them to print you out the original specs and it will specify that on there. There are a lot of small shops selling dubious imports from Germany which have different standard equipment and option packages. Given that it has like 300kms it's probably not a concern though.
Oh and one more thing, I am no crazy audiophile but the base stereo in European M3s really sucks. It's actually embarassing that BMW would sell such an expensive car with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #25
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Trois View Post
Nope I am Jerez black. So that means we are at least three sedans in Paris. I've never seen another one.
Anyway I hardly ever take it out in the city as the whole parallel parking by ear thing is absurd.
Which arrondissement? I am 7th/15th.

I have no experience with the Paris service centers yet. They were pretty bad at selling cars in the first place so I can't imagine the service is great, but that's not unusual in France
Oh and one more thing, I am no crazy audiophile but the base stereo in European M3s really sucks. It's actually embarassing that BMW would sell such an expensive car with it.
Am in the the 16th. Wholeheartedly agree on the parking issue. I lived in NYC so had some experience with parking there, but Paris can be worse. I picked up something called a bumper protector before I came here...its a rubber mat piece that you flip out over the back bumper when you have no choice but to park on the street. Mostly though, I drive in/out of Paris since metro/walking is easy enough.

BTW there is a decent place in the 16th for handwash the car (I don't have a place in our garage). Best one I have found so far. They do a decent job on details too.

Have you tracked your car much? A good friend of mine who has raced in the French Caterham series has a good network of folks who run trackdays around Paris.

Do you have navigation on your car? Curious as to how well the traffic info system works for you?

Did you see the story in the papers this morning about the guy who was tagged driving an A8 (rented) at 250-300km/h? Apparently the photo-radar units were not able to get a shot but his passenger had video on board showing the speedo at 260km/h. 500euros fine (seems cheap)...plus losing his license, which he technically had already lost.

Salut!