BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

European Delivery Folks

Given the uncertain nature of the Icelandic Volcano, be advised that direct shipment to the US will be an option if the situation does not improve. Discuss with the EU delivery office. You get to keep your savings, but given that I would have already lost about $1K to prepayment of a variety of costs it is a small consolation. Although I am very disappointed in the prospect of canceling my trip, I do feel for the folks stuck in the airports.

And please know that this only applies to those who are schedule for delivery over the next 2 weeks.

04-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glad to hear BMW is trying to help out as best as they could.

Hotels and airlines arent willing to change dates so you can go at a later time?
      04-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
mrdenis
mcopb8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Given the uncertain nature of the Icelandic Volcano, be advised that direct shipment to the US will be an option if the situation does not improve. Discuss with the EU delivery office. You get to keep your savings, but given that I would have already lost about $1K to prepayment of a variety of costs it is a small consolation. Although I am very disappointed in the prospect of canceling my trip, I do feel for the folks stuck in the airports.

And please know that this only applies to those who are schedule for delivery over the next 2 weeks.

That is a truly sad prospect. Could you postpone delivery?
2006 BMW M3 coupe - sold
1999 BMW 540i touring - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Glad to hear BMW is trying to help out as best as they could.

Hotels and airlines arent willing to change dates so you can go at a later time?
I prepaid for some hotels knowing I couldn't cancel, so I don't blame the hotels. Airfare shouldn't be an issue for a refund. Delaying the trip is difficult with my work schedule but we will see how things transpire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdenis View Post
That is a truly sad prospect. Could you postpone delivery?
Maybe but no one really knows when things will be back to "normal" I fear an indefinite postponement cycle. I'm not sure if/how long BMW could hold the car there given limited "just-in-time" storage space.
      04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Is PCD in SC an option? I hear it's very nice. Perhaps the next best thing to ED.
      04-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Is PCD in SC an option? I hear it's very nice. Perhaps the next best thing to ED.

Funny you should mention PCD, I was planning on doing PCD after my European Delivery.
      04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Did you book your hotels through priceline? I have read that some reps are willing to refund. I am on 5/7 for pick up, hopefully I can still go.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
Did you book your hotels through priceline? I have read that some reps are willing to refund. I am on 5/7 for pick up, hopefully I can still go.

No, some with Bookings.com which wouldn't amount to much of a refund. I'm not going to sweat it, either way I'll have a great new car.
      04-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Thank you for the information. I am scheduled to fly out tomorrow morning. The flight has not been canceled yet. ED is supposed to be April 21st. We will see.......
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Thank you for the information. I am scheduled to fly out tomorrow morning. The flight has not been canceled yet. ED is supposed to be April 21st. We will see.......
Best of luck to you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
      04-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Slpnbyu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Good Luck!

Hopefully you have internet connectivity while you are there so you can keep us updated.
/// '04 E46 M3 : Mystic Blue/Black /// SOLD
/// '00 E46 323Ci : Titanium Silver/Grey /// SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post

Besides yours, look for a interlagos E92 M3 with ZCP when you're on the delivery floor that day.

What is your pick-up time? mine is 2 pm.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
I've been stuck in NJ since the 15th waiting to get back to Frankfurt, I just checked on my re-booked flight for tomorrow and it got cancelled. Next available is the 29th so I got 9 more days

I'm flying Continental
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by han405 View Post
Besides yours, look for a interlagos E92 M3 with ZCP when you're on the delivery floor that day.

What is your pick-up time? mine is 2 pm.
Nice! I am at 7:30. It's going to be a loong day for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
I've been stuck in NJ since the 15th waiting to get back to Frankfurt, I just checked on my re-booked flight for tomorrow and it got cancelled. Next available is the 29th so I got 9 more days

I'm flying Continental
Good luck. Hope it works out.
      04-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Hey everyone, been posting some updates over at Bimmerfest in their dedicated E.D. section, here's the latest from Germany (yesterday) after I wrote them about my concerns. It brightened my day....a little. Time will tell:

"Hi Mark,

We are doing excellent. Thank you for asking but there is no need of worries.

The ash fallout is not even visible. Actually, the sun is shining and we are not affected (no smell or ash falling from the sky or similar)– except for the flight business. This is due to the concern that the grain and ash of the volcano could function as sandpaper and destroy the windshield of the aircraft. This is not proven, though. Several test flights are scheduled to measure the actual danger. So far, all statements were based on computer calculations.

UK is surely affected but we are quite far away with some hills and mountains in between.

I fully understand your concerns, especially because the car I brand new and very special. From my side, I can tell you that we are not affected “on the soil”. We did not even see dark clouds or anything similar.
However, from your perspective, I would wait another week before considering cancelling the trip. As I said, there is no negative consequences by now. No dust, no nothing. Just precautions with regards to flights.
Let’s see what the forecast says. There is no need to be disappointed – not yet.

By the way, the car is being produced at the factory and shall arrive at our M manufacture by the end of this week. Unfortunately, I will/shall be on a business trip as of Thursday, but Michael will have a look at your car while being finished and “supervise” the assembly.

Let’s hope that everything turns out fine and you can make your dream come true!

Best regards....."

Otherwise, fingers are crossed. Personally I'm giving it another week or so before I make a final decision.

On another happy note, BBC.com reports that a wind shift is expected about mid-week, supposedly moving the ash cloud out of Europe and over to......CANADA!! Go figure
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

The skies were opened up today. I haven't been up around Welt but we haven't seen ANY of the ash at Ramstein.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I was able to do a routine wash of my M3 tonight (not because of ash), about 2 hours northwest of Munich in low sixties degree sunny weather.

I am not aware of any "fallout" in Germany...just the upper atmosphere stuff that is limiting air travel. A number of my co-workers are stranded in various parts of Europe and the States.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0