BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #639
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

i wonder how much people are gonna start bitching when the next gen M3 goes turbo 6 cylinder with a smaller displacement, even though I'm sure it'll kick the V8 M3's ass.

the key here is weight reduction, and I'm glad that BMW is finally realizing that.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #640
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Why havent the 17 threads on the M3 GTS been merged? or at least the two big ones?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #641
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
At first, nothing excited me about the M3 GTS. But after reading this, I changed my mind. To me, this looks awesome. This information came by way of the AutoWeek article linked above.
Other changes include a larger carbon-fiber intake manifold, reworked throttle-body butterflies, a stiffer crankcase and revisions to the sump to provide more reliable oil scavenging at high cornering speeds. No specific output was revealed, but peak power is claimed to have increased by about 30 hp over the standard M3, taking it up to 450 hp and providing the M3 GTS with a power-to-weight ratio of 300 hp per ton.

The increased power is channeled through a beefed-up version of the M Division's seven-speed, dual-clutch Drivelogic transmission with remote shift paddles similar to those found on the standard M3. The Getrag-engineered unit is modified with ratios unique to the GTS, more resilient clutch plates and altered software mapping--all aimed at reducing shift times and providing even more aggressive action in manual mode.

The M3's electronic differential has been tweaked for greater lockup on overrun, while the dynamic stability control receives revised software mapping designed specifically for competition use.

Jealous?
      11-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #642
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
At first, nothing excited me about the M3 GTS. But after reading this, I changed my mind. To me, this looks awesome. This information came by way of the AutoWeek article linked above.
Other changes include a larger carbon-fiber intake manifold, reworked throttle-body butterflies, a stiffer crankcase and revisions to the sump to provide more reliable oil scavenging at high cornering speeds. No specific output was revealed, but peak power is claimed to have increased by about 30 hp over the standard M3, taking it up to 450 hp and providing the M3 GTS with a power-to-weight ratio of 300 hp per ton.

The increased power is channeled through a beefed-up version of the M Division's seven-speed, dual-clutch Drivelogic transmission with remote shift paddles similar to those found on the standard M3. The Getrag-engineered unit is modified with ratios unique to the GTS, more resilient clutch plates and altered software mapping--all aimed at reducing shift times and providing even more aggressive action in manual mode.

The M3's electronic differential has been tweaked for greater lockup on overrun, while the dynamic stability control receives revised software mapping designed specifically for competition use.

I was excited before reading this,now I am just nuts about this car!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #643
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

I am hoping that BMW start a GTS racing series for these cars in the US. Like the Patron GT3 Challenge that Porsche does. I will be on the phone immediately with my sponsor contacts to try to secure a car
      11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #644
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure. If it comes to the US...now I want one.
Unfortunately, it's not.

Too many hurdles to overcome, combined with the extremely low production numbers, simply won't justify all the costs involved in bringing it to the United States.

Just spoke to a trusted contact at BMW North America, and it's just not gonna happen. (in it's current form)

A "Competition Package" style optional upgrade (with a few elements of this model) will be considered for the 2011 model year from what I'm told.
      11-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #645
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
I am hoping that BMW start a GTS racing series for these cars in the US. Like the Patron GT3 Challenge that Porsche does. I will be on the phone immediately with my sponsor contacts to try to secure a car
They already have one...it's called the Koni Challenge series.
      11-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #646
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:

BTW PencilGeek,

I told South I had heard that the DSC would be tuned of track use but didn't see it in the first info that was released. Made me think that info I got was wrong but it appeared that it was correct after all.

I did read all the other stuff in the press release but it appears the early estimates on the weight was wrong. It was 1490kg but that was DIN and not with the additional 75kg BMW usually factor in.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #647
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How does the M3 have an electronic differential? I thought we had a mechanical LSD?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #648
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Sure. If it comes to the US...now I want one.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Jealous?
Quote:
Yeah, that was the type of stuff I was looking for...something that appeals to the motor-head in me. The initial announcement didn't include these types of details. To me, it makes all the difference in the world. If the GTS were simply a weight-reduced stroker...well, we already have that. But with revised gear ratios, different clutch, sump, plenum, throttle bodies...now we're talking about something really cool.
I think this may be the point...it's got the hardcore fans excited again (or "jealous" as Lemans put it). Bummer it will not be coming here, but on the other hand, I think it does do something for the M brand.

After the recent mess a lot of folks were unhappy about (turbo, "M" SUVS, no CSL, increasing weight) this goes a long way to repair some of that "damage" IMO. Folks are excited, it's true "M" heritage, etc. That's really good for the brand.

If some of this can make it's way into a US spec car, or a larger production run "special edition" who isn't going to be jealous and want one? I want one, and I expect a lot of us do. And I just bought an 09 E92 to replace my E93! Will I be annoyed if a good chunk of this gets into an US spec car? Hell yes. Will I still want one? Hell yes on that too!

Even if none of this shows up here it's still damn exciting and does something positive for the brand.

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-05-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #649
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Motortrend:

"It's always difficult translating prices from Europe to the U.S. Nevertheless, the M3 GTS will sell for 115,000 Euros including a 19% VAT, or the equivalent of about $171,000. A more apt price comparison -- assuming the M3 GTS makes it to the U.S. at all -- would be using the assumption that the car might sell for the same proportion above the regular M3 Coupe as it will in Germany. That would place the M3 GTS' price at about $98,000."
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #650
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Quote:

Then there are the idiots on here, who think they can out engineer BMW in their own garage buying aftermaket parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #651
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
They already have one...it's called the Koni Challenge series.
Haha tru...except I'd like to see an M3 GTS only series. Amateurs only......no hiring a pro to do 2/3 of the race and win it for you.
      11-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #652
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Be careful because comments like that can be pretty inflamatory.

There are some very legitimate uses for aftermarket tuning -- namely to take performance to the edge of what BMW would never do. It doesn't mean anybody is outengineering BMW, but instead means they are taking advantage of the performance that BMW left on the table. After all, there is plenty of performance left on the table by BMW (and others) because they need to meet certain liability, stability, and longevity requirements. Aftermarket tuners are not encumbered by such limitations and therefore create a market by taking advantage of more aggressive performance tuning than BMW ever would.

Then you get things like the stroker motors and supercharger kits. It would be very hard to argue that both don't contain considerable amount of engineering efforts.
Amen brother.
      11-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #653
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Be careful because comments like that can be pretty inflamatory.

There are some very legitimate uses for aftermarket tuning -- namely to take performance to the edge of what BMW would never do. It doesn't mean anybody is outengineering BMW, but instead means they are taking advantage of the performance that BMW left on the table. After all, there is plenty of performance left on the table by BMW (and others) because they need to meet certain liability, stability, and longevity requirements. Aftermarket tuners are not encumbered by such limitations and therefore create a market by taking advantage of more aggressive performance tuning than BMW ever would.

Then you get things like the stroker motors and supercharger kits. It would be very hard to argue that both don't contain considerable amount of engineering efforts.
I can see the argument from both sides. However, while aftermarket tuners do in fact provide some great products (not all are engineered as well as others), I would find it hard to believe that any aftermarket parts manufacturer can compete with the amount of engineering resources, REAL testing and research & development efforts put forth by a company like BMW.

Honestly, with the exception of a few, most of the parts we see from day to day on this forum are really BS; while they may provide a small performance advantage, I think they are mostly for show.

Think about the scoops that everyone is buying up (questionable performance there).

How about all the pulleys and ECU flashes. They may provide up front performance but what happens when you hurt something? They haven't been fully tested or performed real scientific analysis.

Even the SC kits. We have heard of engines blowing.

Essentially, BMW will offer a product that is meant to be used; bulletproof if you will. In the case of a malfunction, BMW is there to fix the problem.

What I am trying to say is that it pays to be careful. Even when buying a set of aftermarket wheels. Have you seen the thread on the 18lb flow-formed wheel? Simple engineering analysis will tell you that those wheels can be dangerous.

Very few aftermarket companies have anything to lose. Most of them will just close up shop and resurface under a different name (i.e. 360 forged). That is why they sometimes sell parts regardless of the truth behind them.

...reminds me. Have you seen that AFE intake? C'mon, gimme a freakin break. Performance my a$$. Anyone can tweak their Dyno to reflect inaccurate values.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #654
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Haha tru...except I'd like to see an M3 GTS only series. Amateurs only......no hiring a pro to do 2/3 of the race and win it for you.

Now wheres the fun in that?

But yes that would be cool!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #655
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

No 6MT? That's a bummer
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #656
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
my only concern is does this car have an oil dipstick or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #657
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
I have heard its a $10,000 option BMW looked to Porsche and realized they needed something to be a ridiculously priced option.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #658
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
No 6MT? That's a bummer
+1 Maybe after the initial offering and once its made more available they will offer 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #659
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
lol...

nope.
      11-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #660
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
+1 Maybe after the initial offering and once its made more available they will offer 6MT
Nope. DCT only project.