BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-04-2024, 12:15 PM   #23
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

A 200-cell HFC may not significantly reduce the smell (as smell is always subjective). The most commonly used HFC is the GESI GPower non-EPA. Most people used the 300-cell variant, which is relatively hard to find now as it has been discontinued.

Stating that the CAT104R2 is cheap and of low quality doesn't say much when the GESI HFC 300CELL NON_EPA is $200 each directly. So, there isn't really much of a price difference, mainly $30 more due to the extra 100 cells for filtering.

Sure, the OEM secondaries are 200-cell, but that's comparing an OEM product designed to comply with regulations worldwide against a product made to reduce smell while allowing for performance efficiency.

In my opinion, I don't think Evolve did anything wrong. I just believe your expectations were different, possibly influenced by information found on m3post compared to what you're currently experiencing.

Also, if you reused your old exhaust gaskets, that's a big no-no, as they won't seal properly anymore. Always replace them whenever the x-pipe comes off.

Note: Supersprint, who manufactures for Evolve, uses HJS 100-cell cats for their own x-pipe.

Last edited by omgzirra_exe; 01-04-2024 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
CamasM3e933165.50
Hivand_M138.00
JobanM73.50
      01-04-2024, 12:34 PM   #24
Hivand_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
A 200-cell HFC may not significantly reduce the smell (as smell is always subjective). The most commonly used HFC is the GESI GPower non-EPA. Most people used the 300-cell variant, which is relatively hard to find now as it has been discontinued.

Stating that the CAT104R2 is cheap and of low quality doesn't say much when the GESI HFC 300CELL NON_EPA is $200 each directly. So, there isn't really much of a price difference, mainly $30 more due to the extra 100 cells for filtering.

Sure, the OEM secondaries are 200-cell, but that's comparing an OEM product designed to comply with regulations worldwide against a product made to reduce smell while allowing for performance efficiency.

In my opinion, I don't think Evolve did anything wrong. I just believe your expectations were different, possibly influenced by information found on m3post compared to what you're currently experiencing.

Also, if you reused your old exhaust gaskets, that's a big no-no, as they won't seal properly anymore. Always replace them whenever the x-pipe comes off.

Note: Supersprint, who manufactures for Evolve, uses HJS 100-cell cats for their own x-pipe.
I appreciate the post. No offense taken but I don't think my expectations were different, they even have it falsely advertised on their website. The old gaskets were not used, the ones supplied by Evolve were used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:52 PM   #25
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivand_M View Post
I appreciate the post. No offense taken but I don't think my expectations were different, they even have it falsely advertised on their website. The old gaskets were not used, the ones supplied by Evolve were used.
Yeah, but my original response to the cheap still stands on my end. What makes it low quality? The price? Lol, because I used the at-the-time commonly used GESi 300-cell as a comparison (which is referred to as a high-quality product by some). Quite honestly, that 104R doesn't even look poorly made, especially for a product made in Finland (maybe?) that is also E-Approved for the Australian market, which has WAY worse regulations than we do in California and Europe.

Side note: I don't buy anything from Evolve anyway. I don't even have an interest in an Eventuri plenum (Evolve). I also think their x-pipe is expensive for what it is.

Also, I'm just killing time at work and enjoying the conversation. Product development is part of my job, so I like these types of discussions, lol.

Last edited by omgzirra_exe; 01-04-2024 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
S65Hunter1187.50
chenium31.00
      01-05-2024, 08:18 PM   #26
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
But that's not Evolve's reputation, which is why it's a genuine shocker, as it would be with Dinan or other reputable after market vendors.
I know exactly what Evolve’s rep is. But like many industries there are TONS of re-sellers mascarading around as manufacturers. They all contract with the same few “producers” and slap their name on it. They plow more into marketing and sales then R&D. If they claim they don’t but if it takes BMW BILLIONS to from concept to execution on parts theee third parties are spending a FRACTION of that yet their parts are not priced proportionately less money.

It’s incredible to me how people just skip over these facts in their mind. What has Evolved done to build this rep? Manufacture engines for race teams like Steve Dinan and maybe you will earn my respect beyond a shop with the same or less talent than my local stealership that’s very good at certain mods because they focus on that and install that.

This is what makes Auto Couture Motoring a solid shop with great rep. They don’t pretend to be what they are not, focus on being a great shop, well priced, focus on installing parts made by solid companies. Period.

So to me Evolve rep is as much hype as anything and the moment they started selling “branded parts” I knew where it was going.

For example, I wonder how many people know Burger Motorsport tuner and how he started and what his units are——crazy what people pay for it if they only knew……

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-06-2024, 10:10 AM   #27
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I know exactly what Evolve’s rep is. But like many industries there are TONS of re-sellers mascarading around as manufacturers. They all contract with the same few “producers” and slap their name on it. They plow more into marketing and sales then R&D. If they claim they don’t but if it takes BMW BILLIONS to from concept to execution on parts theee third parties are spending a FRACTION of that yet their parts are not priced proportionately less money.

It’s incredible to me how people just skip over these facts in their mind. What has Evolved done to build this rep? Manufacture engines for race teams like Steve Dinan and maybe you will earn my respect beyond a shop with the same or less talent than my local stealership that’s very good at certain mods because they focus on that and install that.

This is what makes Auto Couture Motoring a solid shop with great rep. They don’t pretend to be what they are not, focus on being a great shop, well priced, focus on installing parts made by solid companies. Period.

So to me Evolve rep is as much hype as anything and the moment they started selling “branded parts” I knew where it was going.

For example, I wonder how many people know Burger Motorsport tuner and how he started and what his units are——crazy what people pay for it if they only knew……

Cheers,
e46e92
Not at all convinced. Evolve has its reputation because it has many satisfied customers. You don't get that long-term through mere "hype". Who knows what the story is in this particular case? It could be a manufacturing defect, exhaust leak or some other issue, including a poor choice of CAT by Evolve. But most/all after-market vendors make mistakes and issue dud products at some point, even your vaunted Dinan. And you seem very quick to condemn Evolve with an absurd n=1 example.

But thank God we're in the presence of someone who is so GD smart and intelligent to help all the rest of us rubes along
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 11:23 AM   #28
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

The "nobody has ever complained before" is a terrible sign of customer service. They're just blowing you off. Unacceptable.

Recently purchased the aFe X-Pipe which uses GESi 50032 EPA Compliant 300 cell cats that they guarantee don't throw a CEL. They are located in the primary location though. They're around $600 a pop.

Purchased it when it was on sale for $1680 but looks like back to regular pricing. If you want to go that route I'd reach out and see if they'll still honor that price. Their customer service has been excellent.
Appreciate 2
GeorgeA758.00
Hivand_M138.00
      01-06-2024, 12:08 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
The "nobody has ever complained before" is a terrible sign of customer service. They're just blowing you off. Unacceptable.

Recently purchased the aFe X-Pipe which uses GESi 50032 EPA Compliant 300 cell cats that they guarantee don't throw a CEL. They are located in the primary location though. They're around $600 a pop.

Purchased it when it was on sale for $1680 but looks like back to regular pricing. If you want to go that route I'd reach out and see if they'll still honor that price. Their customer service has been excellent.
It’s currently on sale for $2086 which is still a decent price for an x-pipe with dual GESI cats. Their design is almost identical to AA’s x-pipe with HJS cats. I had rubbing/contact issues on the cats over speed bumps and “thumps” by the driver’s foot (it was the HFC because it went away when I switched to an Akra x-pipe) - any rubbing/contact issues with the aFe x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:13 PM   #30
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
It’s currently on sale for $2086 which is still a decent price for an x-pipe with dual GESI cats. Their design is almost identical to AA’s x-pipe with HJS cats. I had rubbing/contact issues on the cats over speed bumps and “thumps” by the driver’s foot (it was the HFC because it went away when I switched to an Akra x-pipe) - any rubbing/contact issues with the aFe x-pipe?
Yes similar to the AA design but are you sure they use HJS cats? I thought they were GESi too.

There's a wait time on it and it's expected to be delivered at the end of January. So not on the car yet. I have the same concern regarding clearance and vibration being transmitted into the cabin. In which case it'll be coming off. Given my experience with aFe so far I'd think they'd take it back or at least try to address it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:22 PM   #31
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes similar to the AA design but are you sure they use HJS cats? I thought they were GESi too.

There's a wait time on it and it's expected to be delivered at the end of January. So not on the car yet. I have the same concern regarding clearance and vibration being transmitted into the cabin. In which case it'll be coming off. Given my experience with aFe so far I'd think they'd take it back or at least try to address it.
I could be wrong about the cat manufacturer. Originally purchased it in 2009 and changed to Akra in 2017. For some reason I recall them being HJS. Either way, it had top quality HFCs.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:26 PM   #32
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I could be wrong about the cat manufacturer. Originally purchased it in 2009 and changed to Akra in 2017. For some reason I recall them being HJS. Either way, it had top quality HFCs.
Oh then it's possible. I think a lot of manufacturers who used high quality HFCs were using HJS but with rising costs switched to GESi.

So your old 2009 design had the cats in the primary location, and it rubbed? The GESi variant they sell currently was some kind of new release. Wondering what the difference is compared to the one you had.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:32 PM   #33
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh then it's possible. I think a lot of manufacturers who used high quality HFCs were using HJS but with rising costs switched to GESi.

So your old 2009 design had the cats in the primary location, and it rubbed? The GESi variant they sell currently was some kind of new release. Wondering what the difference is compared to the one you had.
Yes, rubbing on the heat shields and speed bumps were an issue with the HFCs in the oem location. I actually use an AA x-pipe with stock main cats to pass biannual emissions testing.

GESI cats probably flow just as well as HJS so I’d bet there’s no real difference in flow. Haven’t seen a dyno comparing hp/torque between different HFCs. Akra definitely flows better than a 2009 AA x-pipe with HFCs, except for the torque dip at 2k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:15 PM   #34
TigerM3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

How long ago did you buy it for $1680? Also how is the smell? I was planning to add those cats to my Bomiz x-pipe but I might have to just buy one with cats already in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:23 PM   #35
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerM3 View Post
How long ago did you buy it for $1680? Also how is the smell? I was planning to add those cats to my Bomiz x-pipe but I might have to just buy one with cats already in place.
December 20th '23. It was still on sale into the new Year for a few days. I haven't received it yet. ETA is 29th of this month. Imagine smell will be minimal.

I had considered the same, adding cats to an uncatted pipe but this made so much more sense. Essentially makes the X-Pipe $400-$500.
Appreciate 2
TigerM321.00
derbo3610.00
      01-07-2024, 01:26 PM   #36
TigerM3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Appreciate the quick response!
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      01-07-2024, 02:49 PM   #37
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Not at all convinced. Evolve has its reputation because it has many satisfied customers. You don't get that long-term through mere "hype". Who knows what the story is in this particular case? It could be a manufacturing defect, exhaust leak or some other issue, including a poor choice of CAT by Evolve. But most/all after-market vendors make mistakes and issue dud products at some point, even your vaunted Dinan. And you seem very quick to condemn Evolve with an absurd n=1 example.

But thank God we're in the presence of someone who is so GD smart and intelligent to help all the rest of us rubes along
I didn’t attack you, I have an opinion, one rooted in facts that has been laid out thru many examples with many vendors dating back some 17+ years on these forums——you throwing out hyperbole of “they have lots of satisfied customers” doesn’t change any of the facts I listed—-no where did someone say being a reseller means they cannot have satisfied customers nor does having satisfied customers make them a manufacturer——hence the quality issue.

But individuals like yourself jump on to defend companies you do not know intimately or do know intimately and have something to gain but fail to disclose such relationship—-which is fine. Fine until you begin to attack those you disagree with….who never attacked you. It’s called healthy discourse—-and it’s just that, healthy.

It’s when you begin to attack others who never said a word about you is where your credibility with mature adults begins to wane…adults that are reading simply dismiss your thoughts and opinions. Completely counterproductive to your goals I believe.

Be respectful, or don’t, your choice, the wrong choice simply cots you with no impact on the adults you attack.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-07-2024, 03:04 PM   #38
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I didn’t attack you I have an opinion, one routed in facts——you throwing out hyperbole of “they have lots of satisfied customers” doesn’t change any of the facts I listed—-no where did someone say begging a reseller means they cannot have satisfied customers nor does having satisfied customers make them a manufacturer.
This is nonsensical. Do you know the meaning of "hyperbole"? Saying they have lots of satisfied customers is not hyperbole. It's fact. Indisputable fact. That they have many satisfied customers is evidence of a good reputation. Others in this thread support that view. You're the lone voice that seems to equate Evolve with poor vendors.

Quote:
But individuals like yourself you jump on to defend companies you do no know intimately or do know intimately and have something to gain but fail to disclose such relationship—-which is fine.
Ironic since you are jumping in to bash Evolve with your non sequitur n=1 example. I don't need to know Evolve "intimately" -- whatever the hell that means, and no, I have nothing to gain financially or otherwise by fighting back against your inapt arguments. I'm a satisfied customer as are thousands of others. You, without evidence, lump them in with fly-by-night vendors.

Quote:
It’s when you begin to attack others who never said a word about you where your credibility with mature adults begin to wean…adults that are reading simply dismiss your thoughts and opinions the moment you begin attacking others. Completely counterproductive to your goals I believe.
Sorry, dude, but your absurd lecture implying we're all suckers for buying Evolve products is in fact a personal attack. So if you're going to levy that absurdity, which you did in your first post in this thread, get ready to endure someone calling you out.

Quote:
Be respectful, or don’t, your choice, the wrong choice simply cots you with no impact on the adults you attack.
See above. Your arguments suck and you drew first blood with the personal attacks, yet now want to hide behind a fake veneer of civility. Nope.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:15 PM   #39
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
THIS

Still waiting for Evolve Automotive to comment on this matter.

If this particular X-pipe is defective - at least they should refund or give the opportunity to make a return.
Appreciate 2
a5m614.00
Hivand_M138.00
      01-11-2024, 07:01 PM   #40
chenium
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, 2010 E90 M3

Quote:

Curious if you've seen this documented anywhere. I went through their product page for the x-pipe and couldn't find any mention of GESI. I'd be very interested in ordering a set if this is true.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 07:05 PM   #41
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenium View Post
Curious if you've seen this documented anywhere. I went through their product page for the x-pipe and couldn't find any mention of GESI. I'd be very interested in ordering a set if this is true.
Nope. For some bizarre reason they don't mention 'GESi' or EPA Compliance anywhere on the product page. I emailed them so they reached out to me and checked with the engineer to get the info.

They called me actually. Told me it's on sale which I thought was the typical sales pitch. As an excuse I said it depends on what brand the cats are and he came back to me with "GESi 300 cell EPA Compliant cats guaranteed to not throw a CEL". I bought it then followed up via email for the exact model # of the cats and was told 50032.
Appreciate 1
chenium31.00
      01-11-2024, 07:31 PM   #42
chenium
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Nope. For some bizarre reason they don't mention 'GESi' or EPA Compliance anywhere on the product page. I emailed them so they reached out to me and checked with the engineer to get the info.

They called me actually. Told me it's on sale which I thought was the typical sales pitch. As an excuse I said it depends on what brand the cats are and he came back to me with "GESi 300 cell EPA Compliant cats guaranteed to not throw a CEL". I bought it then followed up via email for the exact model # of the cats and was told 50032.
Appreciate the prompt reply. Eagerly waiting for your feedback when you receive your order. Would love an update when you get it to check if there's a part number engraving on it to confirm their assertion.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:03 PM   #43
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenium View Post
Appreciate the prompt reply. Eagerly waiting for your feedback when you receive your order. Would love an update when you get it to check if there's a part number engraving on it to confirm their assertion.
Yup that's the first thing I'll be checking. If their ETA is correct should have it in the next couple weeks or so. Will probably create a new thread instead of continuing to hijack this one. Apologies OP. Was just tryna help.
Appreciate 2
chenium31.00
derbo3610.00
      01-12-2024, 02:52 AM   #44
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
How much of the $1Bs did BMW invest into their exhaust design? I sure hope it was $1Ms at most. A new oem x-pipe msrp is $10k so what should an aftermarket SS or Ti x-pipe with high quality dual HFCs manufactured in the US retail for? Please exclude the Ali x-pipes. A Supersprint X-pipe with cats is $4.1k usd.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 01-12-2024 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0