BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #89
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
That's what I'm saying... then my wife gives me the whole... our daughter's been looking forward to this for months!

I reply with, I've been looking forward to this car for over a year! Somehow that doesn't get me any sympathy points.
I've made it very clear with my wife that I don't want to bring my kiddos to disney world....ever. We made a compromise back in 2019 and took them to the Aulani Disney resort on Oahu. It was a great blend of the disney experience but with the relaxing vibe of Hawaii. Amazing service and property. That's really the only disney thing I would ever do.
wtwo317971.00
      01-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #90
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I could of told you that! I lived in Miami Beach for a few years and was born and spent most of my life in Miami. What a horrible shithole. I honestly can't wrap my brain around why people like it. Now given I don't like most cities, but Miami IMO has none of the benefits of big cities but all of the downside and more. Plus sooo many of the people are just fake garbage people. Unfortunately my mom still lives in Miami Beach (its own type of hell) so I'm forced to go down there sometimes. However if/when she moves. I will never go back!
Miami. We used to go and it wasn’t as bad years ago (maybe 2009/10ish). I think 2017 was the last time I went back. I felt like I was on Beachfront Bourbon St. No desire to go back unless someone advises me it’s changed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #91
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
Oh Damn!! ^
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #92
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Pffft its a horrible drive. At least the last time I was down there yeaaaars ago. One lane, slow ass fuck speed limit. I remember the last time I went down there. Me and the gf just decided fuck it lets go to the keys (we lived in Miami at the time). Packed some stuff and just started driving. I remember it was night time on the way down and there was no one on the road. Some asshole cop stopped me and gave me a speeding ticket. I say asshole because I clearly remember the guy trying to argue with me saying I had an attitude or something. Anyone who knows me would know that's total bs. I never said a word to this guy other than maybe answering anything he may of asked. Attitude? No way. Anyways was a pita to deal with since none of the ticket lawyers wanted to deal with in a ticket in that county. (don't remember what ended up happening).

We then get to the keys and could not find a single fucking hotel with availability. We then remember it was some kind of holiday. Long story short, drove all the way to the keys and back home that same night and got a ticket for my troubles. Don't think I've ever been back.

I could of told you that! I lived in Miami Beach for a few years and was born and spent most of my life in Miami. What a horrible shithole. I honestly can't wrap my brain around why people like it. Now given I don't like most cities, but Miami IMO has none of the benefits of big cities but all of the downside and more. Plus sooo many of the people are just fake garbage people. Unfortunately my mom still lives in Miami Beach (its own type of hell) so I'm forced to go down there sometimes. However if/when she moves. I will never go back!
I lived in Brickell for 7 years... I have a very rounded opinion of Miami.

First off... Miami has every advantage of a large city... it has music, art, culture, partying and entertainment of just about all types. It's effectively a Latin NYC that just happens to be by the coast and in FL. It has an airport that has the 3rd most international connections in the USA and virtually all types of businesses are there.

What Miami doesn't have and absolutely ruins it- any class nor common sense nor education. It takes 20 minutes of walking around to figure out that it is a city filled with dumbasses, people that only care about how you look and is a completely corrupt and paid off city. The city is run by crooks, scammers and general degenerates. This is not a city to build a career, marry someone or live a normal life. If you are a normal person living west of i95, get out of this city asap... its too expensive for you.

The way I see it, is if you plan on living there... make at least 200K and enjoy the fun, going out type of lifestyle... if that isn't for you, then don't live there... run and don't look back.

BTW - that picture above is Ocean Drive... no locals go there and only the most ratchet tourists visit that area.

The places to go for locals and tourists that want to see nicer things are-

Brickell, Wynwood, Design District, Miami Beach (north of 17th st - this is key), Coral Gables, Aventura and if you want a nicer quiter vibe take a ride up to Delray Beach... stay away from all else.
      01-04-2023, 05:09 PM   #93
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Miami. We used to go and it wasn’t as bad years ago (maybe 2009/10ish). I think 2017 was the last time I went back. I felt like I was on Beachfront Bourbon St. No desire to go back unless someone advises me it’s changed.
It's still shit. Actually IMO the only time I liked it was when I was a kid and my grandfather use to come down from NJ and rent a room at any of the hotels there in south beach for like $300/month. Now they were shit hotels and everything was dead back then, but I prefer that to what it is now.

Actually you should totally hit up south beach on memorial weekend... that's the best time of the year to go for suuuureee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I lived in Brickell for 7 years... I have a very rounded opinion of Miami.

First off... Miami has every advantage of a large city... it has music, art, culture, partying and entertainment of just about all types. It's effectively a Latin NYC that just happens to be by the coast and in FL. It has an airport that has the 3rd most international connections in the USA and virtually all types of businesses are there.

What Miami doesn't have and absolutely ruins it- any class nor common sense nor education. It takes 20 minutes of walking around to figure out that it is a city filled with dumbasses, people that only care about how you look and is a completely corrupt and paid off city. The city is run by crooks, scammers and general degenerates. This is not a city to build a career, marry someone or live a normal life. If you are a normal person living west of i95, get out of this city asap... its too expensive for you.

The way I see it, is if you plan on living there... make at least 200K and enjoy the fun, going out type of lifestyle... if that isn't for you, then don't live there... run and don't look back.

BTW - that picture above is Ocean Drive... no locals go there and only the most ratchet tourists visit that area.

The places to go for locals and tourists that want to see nicer things are-

Brickell, Wynwood, Design District, Miami Beach (north of 17th st - this is key), Coral Gables, Aventura and if you want a nicer quiter vibe take a ride up to Delray Beach... stay away from all else.

I'm not a city fan in general. I guess having lived most my life in cities or big suburbs I just didn't know anything else. Once we started traveling I was like the hell with this shit, I just want to be up on a mountain somewhere and not see anyone around me.

Still... I have been to many cities and I just don't get the same vibe I get from say NY or Boston or Madrid from Miami. MAYBE the Brickell, Wynwood area, I honestly never go there so dunno. Maybe it has changed but downtown Miami use to be a pretty bad area. Honestly the ONLY way I would live there was if I was like star island rich and had chauffeurs to drive me around. Even then I would only live there if I was forced to. I like the Cuban food... that's about it. Even the beach in Miami Beach is a shitty ass beach. They have to keep putting sand because it keep eroding. Half the time it has the nasty smelling seaweed.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10162.50
      01-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #94
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

rebekahb your take is perfect. My wife and I met 2004 and we went a handful of times. Once we moved to Florida I thought we would be going for dinner, stay overnight and then head home in the morning. We went one time in 2016 and was like when did this place become so ghetto. Expensive ghetto….with no taste.

We used to enjoy the cool hotels, the beautiful people, the fine dining and now it’s actually quite an ugly scene.

Someone told me North Miami has some great beachfront but we have never been there or Fort Lauderdale
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50
      01-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #95
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I've only read two of the five pages of replies and find myself agreeing with several:
1. Cruise - I went on 2, both times with family as a kid (second one I was 16 and pretty much given freedom to roam about on my own). I didn't have a bad experience overall, but there was just nothing about it that makes me want to go again. The idea of being trapped on a floating petri-dish and having a norovirus break out is too big a risk to take for something that was only "ok."

2. Disney - Went on a school trip as a senior in high school. It was hot, lines were long, and it wasn't all that great. Now that I have kids, it will still be hot, lines will be longer and it would cost way too much. Luckily the wife and I completely agree that the money would be far better spent traveling internationally.

3. Camping in a tent. I'm all for camping in a cabin. That's fun. But a tent? Why?? I did that once with a friend and his dad, and actually had a great time... but that was when I didn't have money. Now that I have money to do essentially the same thing minus the sleeping outside part, I'm going to choose the cabin option 10 out of 10 times.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:37 PM   #96
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

[QUOTE=ASAP;29701174]

The city is run by crooks, scammers and general degenerates.

Sounds like New Orleans

It was. We had not been in that area in a while and our friends wanted to go. We had a drink and didn’t stay long. It did make for some great people watching. It’s just not my scene or where I want to hang.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4493.50
ASAP10162.50
      01-04-2023, 11:42 PM   #97
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Strip Joints
Love me ladies like any red blooded fella but could this be any less exciting? They're all so fucking sad. Hookers are legal back home so you get harassed a lot for a good time but it's just kinda...i dunno...........a wet t-shirt competition is more fun so to speak.

Mercedes
Just never seemed aspirational to me like it seems to be to so many people. Each to his own but i could pass on all of them tbh.
I've been to strip joints exactly twice in my life. Both were incredibly depressing and I felt like such a sleaze. Hell I haven't even been to a Hooter's/Twin Peaks type restaurant since 2009 when I had my E30 with a BMW group....even in my late 20s it felt skeevy.

And BMW has become like Mercedes, the vast majority seemed to be leased by people that couldn't otherwise afford them. Although to be fair, even if our household income was double I'm not sure I'd want to own a modern turbo BMW out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      01-05-2023, 08:19 AM   #98
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Much like the late Charlie Murphy. I had an ‘unfuckit’ list.

https://youtu.be/E5Q2eCUeVGI

Why I wouldn’t do it again? Well let’s just say some people I apologized to didn’t appreciate it one bit. They were royally pissed off with me.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43818.50
      01-05-2023, 09:16 AM   #99
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Although to be fair, even if our household income was double I'm not sure I'd want to own a modern turbo BMW out of warranty.
B58 would like to have a word

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00
hubbahubba8843.50
      01-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #100
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
B58 would like to have a word
Anything past 2015-2016 from a BMW 4 and 6 cylinder engine perspective is almost bulletproof.

B58, B48, S55, S58... whatever.... I've owned every modern BMW turbo 4 and 6 except the S58 and those have been great.

Just stay miles away from the N54, N55, N26, N63 and you'll be fine.
hubbahubba8843.50
      01-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #101
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anything past 2015-2016 from a BMW 4 and 6 cylinder engine perspective is almost bulletproof.

B58, B48, S55, S58... whatever.... I've owned every modern BMW turbo 4 and 6 except the S58 and those have been great.

Yup... and for me, just the fact that Toyota was comfortable using a B58 in the Supra is all the reassurance I need.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
ASAP10162.50
hubbahubba8843.50
      01-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #102
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Yup... and for me, just the fact that Toyota was comfortable using a B58 in the Supra is all the reassurance I need.
I'm in an on going campaign trying to convince my wife to sign off on an M340i as the next vehicle for that reason as well. Since she thinks engines are magic I'm having to be creative to justify the extra $10k.
      01-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #103
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I was so up for this adventure. Practiced stretching, made sure my glasses fit right. Should have headed the warning signs when I took off on my motorcycle for the drop zone about 2 hours away. After about 45 minutes I was holed up in a gas station drinking coffee, hands numb and body shaking from the cold.

Strip clubs. I went with a couple bachelor parties, and both times ended up just sitting alone in the van we had rented. It was so depressing to see all these men, with multiple untouched glasses of beer in front of them, gawking at some chick in a bikini.
      01-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #104
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:

My N55's have been pretty bulletproof; one had over 90K when we traded it in (was a 2012 535i) and we have ~77K on our 2014. The only repair was a VCG on the 2012.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #105
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I was so up for this adventure. Practiced stretching, made sure my glasses fit right. Should have headed the warning signs when I took off on my motorcycle for the drop zone about 2 hours away. After about 45 minutes I was holed up in a gas station drinking coffee, hands numb and body shaking from the cold.

Strip clubs. I went with a couple bachelor parties, and both times ended up just sitting alone in the van we had rented. It was so depressing to see all these men, with multiple untouched glasses of beer in front of them, gawking at some chick in a bikini.
Yeah, somehow neither one of those things seems appealing to me. Maybe when I was a teenager.
      01-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #106
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I'm in an on going campaign trying to convince my wife to sign off on an M340i as the next vehicle for that reason as well. Since she thinks engines are magic I'm having to be creative to justify the extra $10k.
Best of luck - the m340i is an absolute gem of a daily driver. I'll miss mine when I turn it in later this month after a solid 3+ years.

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8843.50
      01-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #107
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Yeah, somehow neither one of those things seems appealing to me. Maybe when I was a teenager.
For the jump, I even had my music all picked out (Forever Young - Alphaville)

Funny, you couldn't hear most of the music over the 14,000' of screaming.
      01-05-2023, 01:44 PM   #108
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

I really, really wanted to go skydiving when I was younger.

Wrecking my sport bike at the track, ending up with a slight limp I still 15+ years later, a concussion and post-concussion syndrome pretty much killed that.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #109
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

Yeah no... I don't even like the feeling when the elevator goes a little too fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #110
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My N55's have been pretty bulletproof; one had over 90K when we traded it in (was a 2012 535i) and we have ~77K on our 2014. The only repair was a VCG on the 2012.
it's still a gen 1 BMW turbo motor and nothing I would mess with today... it still had Vanos issues and my 2k mile N55 had its HPFP fail lol

if the choice exists for a slightly more expensive B58... it's not something I would even think twice about... better reliability, fuel efficiency and far better tunability (if that's your thing)

the crazy thing is that I don't think BMW will have another I6 motor that's non hybrid... so B58 may be it