BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sluggish back-axle

I ve been driving home, a hour ago now, when i got this kind of... you need to race a bit now... do it!...

conditions: wet, 3c°, dark ... i were carefully! Just tried some kickdowns in the middlelane(6lane-street) and noticed that my rear-wheels just spinned off everytime (there was nearly no traction at all...)... everything normal,yet.

after trying this three or four times i drove on the normal way of driving and noticed that the car drove a bit sluggish: i thought my steering-wheel was pushed left and right and left just very slightly.Hard to describe... it was as i had lesser traction on the rearwheels but they never lost grip, just nearly.

This phenomen faded after 2 miles but it was ... strange.

has anyone a reasonable technical explanation?

Edit: i did the kickdowns from 10mph to ~50-60mph then just waited till the car slowed down enaugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

I notice this too sometimes. Not sure. At times I've wondered I'm just noticing the LSD working. In general, this car has it's sluggish days, which I think is due to the ECU restricting fuel at times even if you go WOT.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

I've noticed the DTC is a little sluggish when it is -20C or colder. The car just is a little slower to respond to traction changes until it al warms up.

To be expected when it is this cold.

I suspect that the viscosity of the diff fluid when it is cold plays a big role in how the LSD behaves.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Left the car outside in -20C weather today for 9 hours and started no prob. Stiff suspension though and a little bit of diff howl as I started driving, it went away in 5 mins
Appreciate 0