BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
2fast0
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 x5m

Do I really need the premium pkg and the Tech Pkg???

I ordered a 09 M3 coup without the premium and tech pkg. Do you guys think that's a smart idea?

The reason I did that, besides the money factor is that I think nav and BMW assist are useless nowadays with the advent of GPS/Navigation capable cell phones. few years ago, yeah, these would have been hot items in a car. they would speak luxury and stand out from the rest of the cars out there. but i think times have changed........ Idk, maybe i'm missing something here.......

And I was wondering what is the exact difference btw the standard leather and the premium pkg leather besides the color. anyone know??

The only useful thing to me is the garage door opener and the comfort access. But unfortunately they are not standalone options for the M3. I can hardly justify paying $5000 just for those two options. lol Anyone know if there's a way for me to get those as stand alone options somehow?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast0 View Post
I ordered a 09 M3 coup without the premium and tech pkg. Do you guys think that's a smart idea?

The reason I did that, besides the money factor is that I think nav and BMW assist are useless nowadays with the advent of GPS/Navigation capable cell phones. few years ago, yeah, these would have been hot items in a car. they would speak luxury and stand out from the rest of the cars out there. but i think times have changed........ Idk, maybe i'm missing something here.......

And I was wondering what is the exact difference btw the standard leather and the premium pkg leather besides the color. anyone know??

The only useful thing to me is the garage door opener and the comfort access. But unfortunately they are not standalone options for the M3. I can hardly justify paying $5000 just for those two options. lol Anyone know if there's a way for me to get those as stand alone options somehow?
In the absolute sense of the economic times that we are living right now, ordering an M3 alone is not an smart idea.

But we don't get an M3 because it is the smart thing to do, we get it because we want it and can afford it. So, enjoy your M3 in whatever configuration that you like, nobody but you can decide what you like/want.

The Homelink mirror can be retrofitted... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=homelink but not the Comfort Access (so far).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

I would say Tech is a MUST just for EDC and MDM. The 08 I found had Premium but I don't think that's a necessity at all. Get TECH trust me!
      12-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

w/o tech package you shouldve just gotten a 08 model for dirt cheap !. and for premium, i think thats a must imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

if you order an M3, it goes like this:

1) color?
2) rims?
3) DCT or 6MT?
4) sunroof or cf?
5) select all other options

if the total price seems too high, you can't afford an M3 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

I didn't get either Premium or Tech. There is no standard leather. You have the option of getting leather included in the Premium package or paying for it standalone if say you didn't want the homelink and different trim that come with the premium package. There is no difference in the leather whether you order it in the Premium package or as a seperate option, but ordering it as a seperate option doesn't make sense to me unless you want the standard interior trim. The standard interior is Speed Cloth which I have and the seats do have the same leather on them as the premium package black leather. The difference between the premium package leather and the speed cloth interior are the armrest is not wrapped in leather, the middle of the seat has cloth instead of leather and the door panels have a cloth section instead of leather. That is it really, and I like the cloth and the variations in shades of gray/black in the interior.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

I say Tech YES, Preimum - if you can afford it. Since the Nav is no big deal to you why get an '09 if $$'s are tight? See the recent thread where a dealer is taking $3K BELOW invoice on both a new '08 sedan and vert...there are other great new '08's out there to be had as well. That way you can save some serious $$'s AND have a fully loaded M3...I tend to forget the purchase price over time - but appreciate the nice options, etc., every time I get in the car.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I have premium only and have no regrets. I wanted leather and home link.

I don't care for EDC, or nav. Like you, I would have like Comfort Access as a stand alone like on the regular E9x. And I HATE the double hump.

The only thing I'm unclear on is, if you don't have tech, do you lose the M-mode on the traction control, where it allows some slip before intervening? Not that it's that big a deal since I'm still running with traction control on at the track (still a newb).
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
2fast0
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The standard interior is Speed Cloth which I have and the seats do have the same leather on them as the premium package black leather. The difference between the premium package leather and the speed cloth interior are the armrest is not wrapped in leather, the middle of the seat has cloth instead of leather and the door panels have a cloth section instead of leather. That is it really, and I like the cloth and the variations in shades of gray/black in the interior.
Can you post some links to the pics if u have them uploaded somehwere already?? that would be great.
Every time I hear cloth, i get nervous. I dont want my bmw to be wrapped in cloth. lol I'm having a hard time imagining seat thats part cloth and part leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
2fast0
Private
Rep

I dont understand why ppl are saying get an 08 for dirt cheap if I dont want the nav. There aren't any 08's without nav/tech pkg out there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
I dont understand why ppl are saying get an 08 for dirt cheap if I dont want the nav. There aren't any 08's without nav/tech pkg out there anymore.
I believe they are referring to the upgraded BMW nav system for '09. That's the major diff between the '08 and '09.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I have premium only and have no regrets. I wanted leather and home link.

I don't care for EDC, or nav. Like you, I would have like Comfort Access as a stand alone like on the regular E9x. And I HATE the double hump.

The only thing I'm unclear on is, if you don't have tech, do you lose the M-mode on the traction control, where it allows some slip before intervening? Not that it's that big a deal since I'm still running with traction control on at the track (still a newb).
No Tech package, no M-Drive, no M Dynamic Mode, no Sport Plus throttle, no Sport steering settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Only if you don't need all the things those option packages give you. Just make sure you do your research understand everything you won't have ahead of time. I have a non-ZTP car and don't miss any of the ZTP features (except CA occassionally). I do have ZPP but only because I bought the car off the lot and that's how it was spec'd. I don't use any ZPP features besides BMW Assist.

Quote:
One thing you are likely missing is that the BMW Assist includes bluetooth, and without that you won't be able to integrate your smartphone with the car's audio system and microphone. That said, it is available as a stand-alone options, so at least consider getting that.

There are two other options, not part of ZTP or ZPP but are worth mentioning. The 6FL option adds a USB port in the center console and allows better control over iPods/MP3 players. And option 6NF (new for 2009) allows you to use 6FL features while the phone is docked in a cradle in the center console.

Quote:
It's the same leather whether you order it stand alone or with the package. If you plan to order both leather and BMW Assist, you might want to just go ahead and get ZPP since its costing you almost that much anyway.

Quote:
Anyone know if there's a way for me to get those as stand alone options somehow?
You can retrofit the smart mirror, but CA is sadly unavailable aside from ordering ZTP.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

TECH PKG IS A MUST!!!

I didnt see a need for the premium PKG ($2000)..
I ordered seperately
CF trim ($500)
Black Leather ($950)

So I saved $550 for not getting:
-Garage Door Opener (woulda been nice but no big deal)
-Digital Compass (why? if you have navi)
-BMW Assist (eh.. i never pressed it b4)
-Power Folding Mirrors (i'll never use 'em)

seemed worth it..

i also ordered heated seats ($500 compared to COLD WEATHER PKG for $750 just cuz i hate how the front windsheild washers (and also PDC for that matter) chop up an otherwise flat area)

and SPEED CLOTH... i feel like i wouldnt want the cloth insert its semi-cheap looking, go see it in person.. an upside would be it wont stretch as most leather seat bottoms will..
      12-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's too bad, since the 0.9% financing on '08s can save you a lot (thousands) vs. the 3.9% for '09s. If you are financing, that is.

Do the math - it might be cheaper for you to take an '08 with ZTP (and ZPP) that an '09 without. That is, if you don't mind the extra stuff and the double hump (I can understand if you do mind it - it would bug me).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i have premium but no tech
and thats how i wanted it
i hate the looks of the double hump (extra hump for idrive screen)
nav is useless on 08s at least, my $200 garmin is much easier to use and much cheaper to upgrade(over the internet as opposed to buying CDs)
premium makes sense because if you are getting carbon leather and leather and bluetooth
then you are almost paying the same as premium which includes all those features

i didn;t want tech because i know i was going to continously be messing around with all the settings and eventually have an accident
i love my M3
i did test drive one with tech
and honestly
i don't think i missed out on anything
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
2fast0
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
One thing you are likely missing is that the BMW Assist includes bluetooth, and without that you won't be able to integrate your smartphone with the car's audio system and microphone. That said, it is available as a stand-alone options, so at least consider getting that.

It's the same leather whether you order it stand alone or with the package. If you plan to order both leather and BMW Assist, you might want to just go ahead and get ZPP since its costing you almost that much anyway.
Actually, there is a way to integrate the car's audio system to ur cell phone with a base car. There is a Aux port that comes standard on every M3. connect one end of the headsfree set that came with your cell phone to that aux port and the other into ur cellphone like u normally would. What you end up with is that you would be able to get audio out of ur car speakers (ur personalized ringtone, ppl talking on the other end) and u can talk back handsfree cuz the microphone as part of ur handsfree set.

The only thing is that all the controls for ur phone is not integrated into the car's buttons. U still have to answer and make calls by pressing buttons on ur phone. and that u have to plugin ur phone eachtime u take it out of ur car. but hey, you have to connect ur ipod eachtime u get in the car also. and my phone is basically a mp3 player. I have the Touch by HTC.

and for the leather. I was comparing btw the standard leather vs the $950 optioned leather, which i know is the same as the premium pkg leather. Not standalone $950 leather option vs the premium pkg leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
you mean the extended leather?
i personally think thats a waste of money
very little extra for too much money
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
2fast0
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
you mean the extended leather?
i personally think thats a waste of money
very little extra for too much money
not comparing extended leather. but I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, there is a way to integrate the car's audio system to ur cell phone with a base car. There is a Aux port that comes standard on every M3. connect one end of the headsfree set that came with your cell phone to that aux port and the other into ur cellphone like u normally would. What you end up with is that you would be able to get audio out of ur car speakers (ur personalized ringtone, ppl talking on the other end) and u can talk back handsfree cuz the microphone as part of ur handsfree set.
Sure true, but the drawback there (in addtion to what you say below) is that you then need to switch the audio source yourself if listening to radio or other source besides aux when the phone rings. You also have to have your radio down low enough to where you can hear the phone ring.

Quote:
The only thing is that all the controls for ur phone is not integrated into the car's buttons. U still have to answer and make calls by pressing buttons on ur phone. and that u have to plugin ur phone eachtime u take it out of ur car. but hey, you have to connect ur ipod eachtime u get in the car also. and my phone is basically a mp3 player. I have the Touch by HTC.
Seems like a bit of a hassle, but everyone has their preferences.

Quote:
and for the leather. I was comparing btw the standard leather vs the $950 optioned leather, which i know is the same as the premium pkg leather. Not standalone $950 leather option vs the premium pkg leather.
Well the standard "leather" is actually cloth with leather, so that's why the confusion. But yeah, I love the Speed Cloth personally. If I had ordered a coupe/sedan I would likely have gotten it that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I did not order Prem Pkg. I thought I would miss the garage door opener, but I don't car too much. What I do miss is the folding mirrors....and I thought I could care less. However, my garage is pretty tight AND I have a six year old and a wife that could care less about cars! I find myself always manually folding in my mirrors now! My side so I can have clearance to get by without rubbing the mirror, and the passenger side so the wife and kid don't always bang into it.

I may have to look into retrofitting this option. My guess is a whole new set of mirrors and the switch. I bet all the wiring is there already.....I will look into it someday....
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
What I do miss is the folding mirrors....and I thought I could care less.

I may have to look into retrofitting this option. My guess is a whole new set of mirrors and the switch. I bet all the wiring is there already.....I will look into it someday....
You can have my mirrors if I can have your CA!
Appreciate 0