BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-24-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Recommend shops around Los Angeles

Hey y'all I'm new to the S65 world but long-time forum member. I've owned both an N54 and N55, and after a long-awaited opportunity, I took the e92 M3 route.

2009, 94k on the clock, and it needs some repairs. I am starting with the valve cover gaskets and some suspension goodies.

I'm pretty hands-on with cars, but starting out new for me with S65, I wanted to get to a shop with a ton of experience on this platform.

Please share your choices and experiences.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Sanchez14
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Where are you in town? One great thing about SoCal is there are good shops everywhere from South OC to Valencia to Palm Springs.

I live in OC, so places like EAS, SSR, Precision Dynamics, and Euro Performance World are all well regarded shops. They’re in different areas that basically cover everywhere across the county.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
Logitech
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M#

Go to MRF Engineering. Malik is the best. He always takes the time to answer any questions. Even the stupid ones.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez14 View Post
Where are you in town? One great thing about SoCal is there are good shops everywhere from South OC to Valencia to Palm Springs.

I live in OC, so places like EAS, SSR, Precision Dynamics, and Euro Performance World are all well regarded shops. They’re in different areas that basically cover everywhere across the county.
I'm in the west LA area. I've heard of all those shops except Euro Performance. Appreciate it, thanks.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logitech View Post
Go to MRF Engineering. Malik is the best. He always takes the time to answer any questions. Even the stupid ones.
Nice not heard of this one either. Checking it out, thanks.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I'm in Santa Monica and a trip to OC is the way to go for service. I've actually used most of the shops mentioned above for different services.

MRF Engineering -- Hands down the best shop in OC. I had my rod bearings and valve covers done there. +1 on Malek being the most informed individual on the S65 platform and being a hell of a guy, you'll build up a relationship with him.

Precision Dynamics -- Had my TAs swapped out there and also some FRM2 coding. Can't say too much about the shop other than they were responsive and competitive with pricing.

SSR -- Also a great shop. I went to them 3 years ago for a full brake swap (rotors, pads, fluid) and to diagnose a valve cover leak. Their team stayed late to turn my car around in one day. This one will probably be the toughest to get an appointment, but you can't go wrong with them.

ModAuto -- Went to them for a Euro Bumper install (and paint) and an MPorium undertray install. Very good customer service and they even comped me for a new tire when a bolt from the shop caused a flat.

tl;dr -- OC is just the best for shops. Call all of them, EAS, SSR, Precision Dynamics & MRF for your required service, get a quote, and see who you want to go with. Happy to answer any other questions you have Bmwdoubles_
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird.. View Post
I'm in Santa Monica and a trip to OC is the way to go for service. I've actually used most of the shops mentioned above for different services.
Thanks for the input. I'm on Sawtelle, my main shop (was walking distance) retired a couple years ago, and I've had a hard time finding a replacement. I've been using The Haus, service seems ok, but prices are silly and not sure I trust them. Thinking I will start going to OC.

Do you generally schedule service and plan to wait there, or Uber back home and pick it up later?

Last edited by jd501; 04-25-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 01:30 AM   #8
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird.. View Post

MRF Engineering -- Hands down the best shop in OC. I had my rod bearings and valve covers done there. +1 on Malek being the most informed individual on the S65 platform and being a hell of a guy, you'll build up a relationship with him.

Precision Dynamics -- Had my TAs swapped out there and also some FRM2 coding. Can't say too much about the shop other than they were responsive and competitive with pricing.

SSR -- Also a great shop. I went to them 3 years ago for a full brake swap (rotors, pads, fluid) and to diagnose a valve cover leak. Their team stayed late to turn my car around in one day. This one will probably be the toughest to get an appointment, but you can't go wrong with them.

ModAuto -- Went to them for a Euro Bumper install (and paint) and an MPorium undertray install. Very good customer service and they even comped me for a new tire when a bolt from the shop caused a flat.

tl;dr -- OC is just the best for shops. Call all of them, EAS, SSR, Precision Dynamics & MRF for your required service, get a quote, and see who you want to go with. Happy to answer any other questions you have Bmwdoubles_
Super helpful thanks for that. It's funny because all my best shops for N54 and N55 were in Anaheim. I think it's more economical for these tuners to run their businesses out there.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:24 AM   #9
Sanchez14
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

I’m not as familiar with West LA Shops, but we bought a low mileage e70 x5 from the owner of Swiss Auto a couple years ago. It’s been flawless and he obviously did all the maintenance in house. They do more standard maintenance for old rich people in Beverly Hills, but he definitely knows his stuff. Might be worth checking out.

If you want to go to the Valley, a friend has had good experience with Ikonic in North Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
I'm in the west LA area. I've heard of all those shops except Euro Performance. Appreciate it, thanks.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 10:03 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Auto Talent in Carson.
Been going there for more than 10 years now.
They distribute the BE Bearings. Did my DCT bottom pan, side pan, and dropped the DCT for a top gasket that was leaking.
Did my coilover install and arranged for West End to do Alignement and corner balance.
They'll do my Vanos covers and Vanos caps next.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 05:09 PM   #11
86scirocco16v
Private
Rep
Drives: E90M3, Scirocco 16V, MB 300TD

Anyone know what happened to Precision Dynamics? Was thinking of getting some work done by them, but noticed their IG and website are gone... Now they're called Precision Designs. Is it still run by the same people?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 09:35 PM   #12
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

JMP Autowerkz. Home of the fastest track cars.
Appreciate 2
Battle162.50
      03-13-2023, 11:54 PM   #13
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I’ve been going to Stryker Performance in Fullerton. Though I just noticed JMP on Insta.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:59 PM   #14
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

My Dad takes his E93 M3 to Ikonic for most work. MRF did the rod bearings, but that's further than he's willing to go for most work.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 07:57 PM   #15
Melbourn3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP STRIPPER

Pit Stop Motor Tuning in Glendale, Herb knows his sh#t there. He has a track prepped gt3rs and runs a race team as well.
Appreciate 1
Battle162.50
      03-20-2023, 12:51 PM   #16
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
My Dad takes his E93 M3 to Ikonic for most work. MRF did the rod bearings, but that's further than he's willing to go for most work.
Is that in North Hollywood? Hes one of the dads in our kindergarten class lol
Appreciate 0