BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

E9X coil pack part number change

I have a quick question for someone who knows coil pack parts.
I've changed the plugs on my 09 m3, well this would be the 3rd or 4th plug change at 57K miles. Over the years I've replaced coil packs that have broken the tips off while removing (that stupid plastic always snaps off from heat stressed plastic) with BMW OEM packs. At that time they had "Pulse" stamped on them. On this last plug change I decided to change all 8 packs due to some lag and detonation. They are now sold under a new part number. They are stamped "Eldor". The design is very similar minus a lower rubber boot on the new packs. My main question is the new packs are about 1/4 inch shorter than the old part number. Does anyone have any information as to why the design was changed and if the actual pack still makes the same contact with the plug? It's very hard to determine where the plug connector is inside the boot relating to the two packs with different lengths. With the length being different they obviously do not cover as much of the plug, but I'm hoping the contact point internally is still the same and its not a poorer connection The car does seem to be running better with the entire swap. Throttle response is back without lag and I have yet to hear audible detonation like before.
Cheers
X
      05-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #2
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Eldor (STI) was the OEM supplier for a while, but now on FCP it shows Bosch coils. With the coils you really only gotta cover that metal tip on the top end.
      05-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
dv13
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

Probably makes the back two a bit easier to remove and install with the shorter length.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

what I've noticed is that the porcelain on the plug sticks to the rubber boot making it stick and difficult to remove, the plastic cap ends tends to break because of the heat over time.
Eldor is an OEM supplier for plugs for sometime but BMW tends to switch it around from time to time. Don't worry, as long the plugs are for your car they don't have any issue.

you can avoid the boots sticking to the porcelain on the plugs by applying a thin layer with a q-tip on the inside of the boot.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      05-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I've had bad luck with "OE" Eldor coils before. Perhaps the Bosch ones are better but I only use genuine BMW OEM now.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563685
      05-29-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I've had bad luck with "OE" Eldor coils before. Perhaps the Bosch ones are better but I only use genuine BMW OEM now.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563685
I purchased the new packs from a BMW dealer using the latest part number from the bmw parts database. The parts that arrived were BMW stamped on the caps with Eldor on the printing. When you refer to genuine BMW, that's technically still an Eldor pack, or Pulse, or whomever BMW is using at the time the packs were made. I am surprised you had issue with the "OE" Eldor vs the genuine BMW OEM as Eldor was the manufacturer of the OEM part the last few years. I'm not sure who makes the packs stamped with Pulse. They should be absolutely identical to BMW stock. I did not know Bosch was moved into the OEM part list. I can't find a record of it on the database.

What is stamped in quotes on the genuine BMW OEM coil packs that you have? Is it not Eldor?
      05-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
What is stamped in quotes on the genuine BMW OEM coil packs that you have? Is it not Eldor?
I don't recall seeing Eldor stamped anywhere on the OEM coils. Also not seeing it in the ECS pics.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/12137841754/
      05-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I don't recall seeing Eldor stamped anywhere on the OEM coils. Also not seeing it in the ECS pics.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/12137841754/
It's a little bit hard, well very hard to see in the ECS pictures, but the gold writing on the top of the pack - the very last line starts with "Eldor"

Here's a better picture. The older packs with the lower rubber boot were stamped Pulse. Eldor says Eldor and Bosch packs I have not seen so I don't know what is printed there.