BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-10-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Car doesn't start. DME Problem. (SOLVED!)

Hi,

Car was in storage for the winter. Start car every couple of weeks and let it fully warm up fully. Do not have it on a battery tender, but the car does have enough battery. When i start car, it prompts me to reset date and clock, so i assume the battery ran flat. (i resetted the time and date). Tried to start the car regardless, the starter will try to fire it up, but the engine just doesn't crank up at all. When i put the key in, everything works, dash, lights, windows, radio, heated seats, rear defogger etc etc. The only thing that doesn't "work" is the engine doesn't fire up.

Tried jumping it with another vehicle and a portable jumper but same thing, car starter will fire up, but engine just won't turn over.

Pre-Storage i do have failing Throttle Body Actuators (both banks) that i am gonna be replacing when the car comes out of hibernation. Maybe they completely died and thats why the car doesnt start? Quite puzzled.

I am currently charging the car on a battery tender that i borrowed from my buddy, gonna leave that on for couple of hours and maybe it IS a flat battery and thats it.

Anyone can chime in will be awesome! Thanks!

Edit* Checked battery voltage - at a very healthy 12.6V... >_<|||

Edit again* Had the charger charged for 3 hours, tried to start again. Same thing, starter starts - but engine doesnt turn over. Weird thing is, the clock resetted again to 0:00. Do you guys think its a good idea to try to push start the car? (its a 6MT). Or should i just get it towed to the shop to check out? any idea whats wrong? Thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon

Last edited by kaede; 05-07-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Hi,

Car was in storage for the winter. Start car every couple of weeks and let it fully warm up fully. Do not have it on a battery tender, but the car does have enough battery. When i start car, it prompts me to reset date and clock, so i assume the battery ran flat. (i resetted the time and date). Tried to start the car regardless, the starter will try to fire it up, but the engine just doesn't crank up at all. When i put the key in, everything works, dash, lights, windows, radio, heated seats, rear defogger etc etc. The only thing that doesn't "work" is the engine doesn't fire up.

Tried jumping it with another vehicle and a portable jumper but same thing, car starter will fire up, but engine just won't turn over.

Pre-Storage i do have failing Throttle Body Actuators (both banks) that i am gonna be replacing when the car comes out of hibernation. Maybe they completely died and thats why the car doesnt start? Quite puzzled.

I am currently charging the car on a battery tender that i borrowed from my buddy, gonna leave that on for couple of hours and maybe it IS a flat battery and thats it.

Anyone can chime in will be awesome! Thanks!

Edit* Checked battery voltage - at a very healthy 12.6V... >_<|||

Edit again* Had the charger charged for 3 hours, tried to start again. Same thing, starter starts - but engine doesnt turn over. Weird thing is, the clock resetted again to 0:00. Do you guys think its a good idea to try to push start the car? (its a 6MT). Or should i just get it towed to the shop to check out? any idea whats wrong? Thanks!

I store my car for the winter too. Now my car is still sleeping, but last year, I had a similar problem. But I tried it twice and than the engine fired up. It was a problem with fuel, because when the car stands for few weeks or month, the sludge falls to the bottom of tank.
It could be a problem with fuel pump.

Last edited by M-power CZ; 02-10-2016 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-power CZ View Post
I store my car for the winter too. Now my car is still sleeping, but last year, I had a similar problem. But I tried it twice and than the engine fired up. It was a problem with fuel, because when the car stands for few weeks or month, the sludge falls to the bottom of tank.
I am hoping it won't be the fuel pump. I highly doubt it is the fuel itself, car is filled up with premium fuel (top tier gasoline) and in Canada, fuel usually is hardly the problem. I tried starting her up at least a dozen times (might be a bad idea, but i was hoping that it will miraculously revive) and still didn't fire up.

I did a and i saw someone had similar situation and it ended up being a fuse, will be checking all of them later tonight.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede
Quote:
I am hoping it won't be the fuel pump. I highly doubt it is the fuel itself, car is filled up with premium fuel (top tier gasoline) and in Canada, fuel usually is hardly the problem. I tried starting her up at least a dozen times (might be a bad idea, but i was hoping that it will miraculously revive) and still didn't fire up.

I did a and i saw someone had similar situation and it ended up being a fuse, will be checking all of them later tonight.
The fuel pump would work fine, but could be blocked by the sludge. I'm not sure but I think that every fuel has a little sludge, this is a reason why cars have a fuel filter. And I'm not sure if it's good to storage the car with the full tank. My mechanic recommended me store the car with empty tank and before the first ride fill it by the canister. Because you mix the sludge. But I hope your car will be ok and hope you understand me, because my english is so bad
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The fuel pump would work fine, but could be blocked by the sludge. I'm not sure but I think that every fuel has a little sludge, this is a reason why cars have a fuel filter. And I'm not sure if it's good to storage the car with the full tank. My mechanic recommended me store the car with empty tank and before the first ride fill it by the canister. Because you mix the sludge. But I hope your car will be ok and hope you understand me, because my english is so bad
Have stored many vehicles and have read many places that suggests storing with full tank to avoid any moisture/water condensation in the tank. Obviously not an expert but that is what i have read and went by for years.

As far as sludge in the fuel, i definitely agree that there will be impurities, but probably not what we'd associate with "sludge." Again, not an expert either on this field ALSO, your English is perfect! Thanks!!

I have read many threads on M3 not starting here on m3post, most of the time other member's car completely dies, in my case, the starter is trying to start the engine but the engine doesn't budge.

I dont think my engine seized (HOPE NOT). I don't have a ODB reader as well, so can't really pull codes. From what i have read though, other members have had success in replacing fuses and something to do with the crank sensor. Can't check the sensor but can definitely fiddle with the fuses to see if one of them went out.

Any other people that can comment? Much appreciated! Thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Chain-Blue-Lightning
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT, 2010 Mini S

That little vermin bastard known as the rat/mouse gnawing on your wires?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
That little vermin bastard known as the rat/mouse gnawing on your wires?
Hope not, I am afraid of that and i have used some preventative measures everytime i store my vehicles (by stuffing SHIT loads of Dryer sheets in the engine bay area and changing them out every so often). Never had a rat/mouse infestation and never seen one or saw any evidence of one (feces).

Sure hope that is NOT the reason why... and IF it is, hopefully they didnt cause a LOT of costly damages.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
When you say "the starter will try to fire it" do you mean you can hear the starter clicking but the engine does not crank?

Just cause the battery is reading 12.6V and lights and everything else is working, it doesn't mean the voltage is not dropping hard when you try to start it. Check the voltage while you are trying to start and see if its dropping a lot. I've seen a battery check out at 12+ volts and then when cranking go down to like 6-7 volts. Needless to say, I had to replace it.

Also, starting the car every couple of weeks and bringing it up to temp is not enough to keep the battery charged. You have to keep it on a tender or drive it for a while to keep it charged.

I stored my 330 every winter for 9 years and I was not able to keep it on a tender. I tried to take it out every 2 -3 weeks for about 30 or more. Last year the winter was really bad and I was not able to do that and ended up having to replace the battery in the spring. I did get 9 years out of the original battery so I guess that wasn't too bad.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my M3 but have only been able to drive it 2 times since November and the last time i took it out I got the low battery warning.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)

Last edited by Mr. BMW; 02-10-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
When you say "the starter will try to fire it" do you mean you can hear the starter clicking but the engine does not crank?

Just cause the battery is reading 12.6V and lights and everything else is working, it doesn't mean the voltage is not dropping hard when you try to start it. Check the voltage while you are trying to start and see if its dropping a lot. I've seen a battery check out at 12+ volts and then when cranking go down to like 6-7 volts. Needless to say, I had to replace it.

Also, starting the car every couple of weeks and bringing it up to temp is not enough to keep the battery charged. You have to keep it on a tender or drive it for a while to keep it charged.

I stored my 330 every winter for 9 years and I was not able to keep it on a tender. I tried to take it out every 2 -3 weeks for about 30 or more. Last year the winter was really bad and I was not able to do that and ended up having to replace the battery in the spring. I did get 9 years out of the original battery so I guess that wasn't too bad.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my M3 but have only been able to drive it 2 times since November and the last time i took it out I got the low battery warning.
Thanks! Yes, i hear the starter clicking but engine does not crank. I didnt get a chance to take a look at the battery while i was starting it. But i did get a before and after voltage. Before i tried to start car the voltage was at 13V'ish, after i tried to start the car for 2x only, the voltage did drop to 12.1V. Mind you, this battery is brand new since Last December... hopefully it doesnt just DIE and can be revived

Also, if the battery is indeed just dead, wouldnt jumping the vehicle worked then? I am not sure.

Hopefully it is just the battery, i am getting it towed to the shop tomorrow. Needed to get the Throttle body actuators replaced anyways + possibly replacing the Valve Cover Gaskets since the passenger side seems to be seeping. Wonder how much a new battery costs?
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Have stored many vehicles and have read many places that suggests storing with full tank to avoid any moisture/water condensation in the tank. Obviously not an expert but that is what i have read and went by for years.

As far as sludge in the fuel, i definitely agree that there will be impurities, but probably not what we'd associate with "sludge." Again, not an expert either on this field ALSO, your English is perfect! Thanks!!

I have read many threads on M3 not starting here on m3post, most of the time other member's car completely dies, in my case, the starter is trying to start the engine but the engine doesn't budge.

I dont think my engine seized (HOPE NOT). I don't have a ODB reader as well, so can't really pull codes. From what i have read though, other members have had success in replacing fuses and something to do with the crank sensor. Can't check the sensor but can definitely fiddle with the fuses to see if one of them went out.

Any other people that can comment? Much appreciated! Thanks!
Hundred people, hundred opinions.... I'd like to read many opinions from experts.... for example how to stored the car.
But this is a different topic.
I hope you will solve the problem soon. Let me know what was the problem. I cross my fingers!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #11
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post

I agree. When you only start the car and bringing it up to temperature, you don't charge the battery. You must drive the car. The second problem and more important is with the oil. When you storage the car, during few weeks the oil flow down from the engine to the oil pan. When you start the car, the oil pump doesn't have a pressure and don't press the oil into the engine. So the engine works with the minimum oil (badly oiled) and it's really not good. The oil pump has a pressure when you drive the car, so you must drive it immediately after you start it. I have this information from BMW service.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:46 AM   #12
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree. When you only start the car and bringing it up to temperature, you don't charge the battery. You must drive the car. The second problem and more important is with the oil. When you storage the car, during few weeks the oil flow down from the engine to the oil pan. When you start the car, the oil pump doesn't have a pressure and don't press the oil into the engine. So the engine works with the minimum oil (badly oiled) and it's really not good. The oil pump has a pressure when you drive the car, so you must drive it immediately after you start it. I have this information from BMW service.
Got it. Definitely won't store my cars the way I used to.

I've arranged to get it towed to a reputable Indy shop where I was gonna get my throttle body actuators replaced anyways. Will update on here to let you guys know what's wrong. Hopefully nothing costly. Cheers ! Thank you everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
With AGM batteries in particular (but it can happen with any battery), the battery gets to an age where it seems to charge fine on a tender (and displays normal voltage), but the ability to source any significant cold cranking current can suddenly fall off. So the car will turn on fine, the starter will engage and attempt to spin the engine, but nothing happens because the battery has high internal resistance and can't deliver current. The battery has gone south...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
With AGM batteries in particular (but it can happen with any battery), the battery gets to an age where it seems to charge fine on a tender (and displays normal voltage), but the ability to source any significant cold cranking current can suddenly fall off. So the car will turn on fine, the starter will engage and attempt to spin the engine, but nothing happens because the battery has high internal resistance and can't deliver current. The battery has gone south...
Hopefully its as simple as the Battery. As mentioned though, the battery is quite new (put in since December 2014), battery dies after month of two letting the car sit? Cannot be recharged to make it functional again correct? Thanks!

Car is in the shop at the moment, haven't heard anything back yet. Fingers crossed.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Update: My mechanic didn't have enough time to look at the cause thoroughly today, but what he told me is that there seems to be no compression, and no fuel feeding to the engine.

Any thoughts as to what went? Maybe the fuel pump relay (heard that it is a semi common problem with the m3), and or some other electrical problems causing the fuel pump not to work? Or maybe the fuel pump died? Or maybe as someone mentioned above, sludge in the oil?!?????? (seriously, dont think thats the issue, but not ruling anything out as of this moment ><!!) Thanks guys!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #16
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Update: My mechanic didn't have enough time to look at the cause thoroughly today, but what he told me is that there seems to be no compression, and no fuel feeding to the engine.

Any thoughts as to what went? Maybe the fuel pump relay (heard that it is a semi common problem with the m3), and or some other electrical problems causing the fuel pump not to work? Or maybe the fuel pump died? Or maybe as someone mentioned above, sludge in the oil?!?????? (seriously, dont think thats the issue, but not ruling anything out as of this moment ><!!) Thanks guys!
Definitely the problem it's not the sludge in oil. I spoke about the bringing the car up to temperature without the driving. This related with the oil and oil pump pressure.
I don't think so, that the fuel pump died or it's a electrical problem. I still think, that the fuel system is blocked. But may be I'm wrong.
Hope that they solve the problem today with minimal costs. I cross my fingers!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #17
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:

Let the mechanic deal with it.

Your story is contradictory now. Before you said the car didn't crank. If the car doesn't crank, then of course there won't be compression or fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #18
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I wrote a very detailed post about how to properly store your car for winter. I've stored it now for several years without issue, and you can search the forum for my thread, but basically:

Fill the car up and use fuel stabilizer.

You really need it on a tender.

Starting the car periodically only makes it worse. You increase cold starts and wear on the motor.

These cars have alternators that only charge the battery when coasting, so try charging it for a good few days and give it a go.
      02-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

In related news, I just changed my starter on my '09 with 125K miles. Car would sometimes not crank, until after a few tries. Would give a click, and then nothing! Very scary. Luckily this is one part that lets you know it's time without stranding you. But thanks BMW for burring it deep in there. Four hour labor job.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #20
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
I wrote a very detailed post about how to properly store your car for winter. I've stored it now for several years without issue, and you can search the forum for my thread, but basically:

Fill the car up and use fuel stabilizer.

You really need it on a tender.

Starting the car periodically only makes it worse. You increase cold starts and wear on the motor.

These cars have alternators that only charge the battery when coasting, so try charging it for a good few days and give it a go.

This. Stored my 2009 E93 for three winters and never had an issue with it in the spring.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #21
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Update!

Car is fixed and up and running! Apparently the both Throttle Body Actuators DIED off completely and it wont allow the engine to start. After replacing both banks, the car fired up no problem at all! Checked the battery and it is in good shape as well. So glad that's the only thing that's wrong, was prepared to replace them anyways after hibernation.

Sadly, according to my mechanic, there ARE traces of rodents!!! Q____Q|||

He said there were some nuts and he vacummed it up. Also left a bit of a mess on the bottom of the engine bay. Question, I have never ventured below the M3 besides changing oil, is there a belly pan that i can remove to clean and wipe down the engine bay's bottom side? Will like to have it cleaned out to my best abilities. Thanks!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #22
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Attached to the engine itself there is a metal pan that is easy to remove.

Once, while riding in a friend's hotrod show car, we started smelling an odor like burning paper. It turned out that a nest of shredded paper was down in the header collector pipes! We saw part of it drop onto the road in the rearview mirror looking like a rolling fireball.
Appreciate 1