BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

11-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I just ordered Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 with GPS

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx

I can't wait to get it! It'll make my new laptop much more fun!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Isn't that cumbersome to lug a laptop around in a car and use it as a nav system?

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
CraigG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo

I, um, acquired it the other day and wasn't impressed. It's nothing more then a mapquest engine. Live GPS would be nice, but eh with WiFi you could use better things then Streets & Trips.
      11-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

This is the GPS you should have gotten - fits right in your pocket, uses NavTeq maps, can lock on 20 satellites, and runs on Mobile Navigator 6 (BMW uses the Navigon software as well): https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/...undlelist/911:
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I think it is cumbersome, yes, but I'm usually alone, so whatever....

It has live GPS, it plugs into the USB. The reason I got this for $150 is I already have the laptop, I don't want to spend another $1000 on a GPS system....my commute isn't that complicated! And when we're on family trips and we need to find out where to go my wife can have it in her lap and tell me what to do.

Anyway, if it's garbage I'm not out that much, eh what?

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

So I tried it out the other day and for $150 bucks it is great. The little GPS antenna plugs into the USB port and there is a little suction cup to keep it on the windshield. It tracks the car really well, and shows me my real speed, (quite a few km/h less than indicated on my speedo, but that's another thread). i will be testing out the Voice Directions this evening.

There aren't too many "services" listed on it, but that could be because it is really an American program functioning in Canada.

It's also not that great at finding certain addresses either, but if you find them and program them it all works out. For $150 it is the Cheapskate's solution, and that is fine with me!

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it's certainly an interesting option!

do you have to do anything to stop the laptop from flying around the cabin? and did you have to get a 12V power source?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Well, so far I have kept the laptop in the passenger seat next to me in my briefcase FWIW.......haven't had any panic stops yet......

I have the adaptor and so far have run the laptop on battery. BUT for long trips I will get a thingy that plugs into the cigarette lighter and converts the power to 120v, I had one before but my wife broke it.

Using this means BMW can't track me since I have neither iDrive nor Assist and they can't prosecute me for driving at high speeds and/or causing accidents....

unless my damn keyfob gives it all away......

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Stew, check out TomTom 6 as well as iGuidance 3, both are great navigation software
      11-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I did but they're over a grand...........

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
canucklion
Canada
Rep

oh forgot, you actually buy your software
      11-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Look again - iGuidance 3 is selling for $99.99 at Semsons in the states -
http://www.semsons.com/ignavsof.html . They will ship to Canada, no problem, and are a great supplier. If you have any problems, they stand behind their products.

I run iGuidance 3 on a Dell Axim x51v and it works great. The good thing about iGuidance is that it is set up for both PDA and Laptop applications. Also, it uses Navteq maps which are superior to the TeleAtlas maps used by some other programs, such as TomTom.

If you need more info on gps, go to www.gpspassion.com . You'll find more info there than you can shake a stick at. The website is based out of France, so it has both English and French portions (which are not the same). Also, you will find that Marvin Hlavac is the reigning iGuidance guru who happens to be from Toronto.

In any event, before buying any program, make sure it is compatible with your gps device.
      11-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Thanks Jackson, I'll look it up!

For the record MSFT uses navteq too, it's just what they do with it that doesn't appear to be so great ie.....can't find a Tim Horton's in Canada WTF????

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
canucklion
Canada
Rep

our pdas are like twin! I just got a x51v and running iGuidance 3 as well, right now I'm just waiting for my GPS receiver, which receiver did you get?

I got the oncourse BT one from buygpsnow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson
Look again - iGuidance 3 is selling for $99.99 at Semsons in the states -
http://www.semsons.com/ignavsof.html . They will ship to Canada, no problem, and are a great supplier. If you have any problems, they stand behind their products.

I run iGuidance 3 on a Dell Axim x51v and it works great. The good thing about iGuidance is that it is set up for both PDA and Laptop applications. Also, it uses Navteq maps which are superior to the TeleAtlas maps used by some other programs, such as TomTom.

If you need more info on gps, go to www.gpspassion.com . You'll find more info there than you can shake a stick at. The website is based out of France, so it has both English and French portions (which are not the same). Also, you will find that Marvin Hlavac is the reigning iGuidance guru who happens to be from Toronto.

In any event, before buying any program, make sure it is compatible with your gps device.
      11-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
canucklion
Canada
Rep

from most reviews, it does seem that Navteq have better map data than TeleAtlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Thanks Jackson, I'll look it up!

For the record MSFT uses navteq too, it's just what they do with it that doesn't appear to be so great ie.....can't find a Tim Horton's in Canada WTF????
      11-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

I just ordered the TomTom Navigator 6 for my Treo. It has a Bluetooth GPS module and not only works on the Treo but also my Ipaq 4150. Less than $300.

I also have a Garmin for my laptop. It plugs into the USB port and it's a bargin at $99 (at least that's what I paid for it last Christmas). As far as screen size goes, you can't beat a 15 in. screen GPS for $99.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

I'm currently using a Globalsat BT-338 which I bought in May 2006. It works great, no problems with connection to the Dell and the battery lasts forever.

Since then, Globalsat has released newer unit, the BT-359 which is smaller, lighter and still has something like 12 hours of battery. Haven't felt the need to invest in one yet. Also, there are some other newer units that use other chipsets (i.e not SiRFstarIII) which have done extremely well in testing done by the guy who runs www.gpspassion.com. (You think you can waste a lot of time on this site, try getting hooked on the gps stuff!)

And for Stew - that Marvin Hlavlac guy on gpspassion.com runs a laptop with Street & Trips to plan his trips and iGuidance for actual navigation while on the route. Also, you should know that the Points of Interest (POI) on iGuidance are not the best. I haven't tried it on version 3, but on earlier versions I don't think it had Tim's, Walmart, etc. And you can't add them either, en masse.