BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

11-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #23
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
Huh? So anemones actually move to its desired place?? Can't we just super glue gel it like the rest of the corals? And what is the foot of an anemone and why is it a PITA if you remove?
anemones are invertebrates. they will move around and most of them are actually pretty mischievous movers. one of mine crawled into a powerhead somehow, that was interesting finding it stuck in there in the morning. as far as gluing an anemone, don't do it. like mentioned, anemones are alive. their 'foot' is on it's underside, and those things will vacuum to it's favorite piece of live rock real estate and not let go for anyone. to remove it is almost impossible without damaging it's flesh. they are also very delicate and sensitive to fluctuations in water quality, so keep it consistent!

the best way i've found to get an anemone off it's rock is to simply rotate the rock to a different position and wait for the anemone to start moving. if you watch it over the course of a day, he'll eventually seek shelter, then you can swoop it up and do what you please.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
anemones are invertebrates. they will move around and most of them are actually pretty mischievous movers. one of mine crawled into a powerhead somehow, that was interesting finding it stuck in there in the morning. as far as gluing an anemone, don't do it. like mentioned, anemones are alive. their 'foot' is on it's underside, and those things will vacuum to it's favorite piece of live rock real estate and not let go for anyone. to remove it is almost impossible without damaging it's flesh. they are also very delicate and sensitive to fluctuations in water quality, so keep it consistent!

the best way i've found to get an anemone off it's rock is to simply rotate the rock to a different position and wait for the anemone to start moving. if you watch it over the course of a day, he'll eventually seek shelter, then you can swoop it up and do what you please.
I had to get a a syringe and keep on pumping water under its foot till it released. Oh yeah and one of mine committed suicide by moving to my main pump and got sucked in.

This is where mine stayed for a couple of months they like a place where they can sink down to.
Attached Images

11-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #25
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

my father has a freshwater tank and breeds discus'. those fish are so damn gorgeous when they flaunt their full colors. he also breeds koi, unintentionally, in our pond lol. we had about 6 for 2 seasons, and now were up to probably 100+ with 20 being 12 inches +

i heard saltwater is so hard to upkeep but yea post up some pics when you do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 SparkLiN G. 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post

Damn.. and I was planning to glue the anemone right at the center so it'll be my main centerpiece..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
I had to get a a syringe and keep on pumping water under its foot till it released. Oh yeah and one of mine committed suicide by moving to my main pump and got sucked in.

This is where mine stayed for a couple of months they like a place where they can sink down to.
WOW that's why I want to take my hobby to the next level.. your anemone looks sickk.. where can I get them and are they safe for clowns? I'm thinking about getting a wild True Percula Clown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
my father has a freshwater tank and breeds discus'. those fish are so damn gorgeous when they flaunt their full colors. he also breeds koi, unintentionally, in our pond lol. we had about 6 for 2 seasons, and now were up to probably 100+ with 20 being 12 inches +

i heard saltwater is so hard to upkeep but yea post up some pics when you do it.
Discus are so beautiful too.. I was thinking about breeding those as well, but their behavioral instincts and its environmental decorations are quite boring to monitor.. I've bred a handful of freshwater fish and made some nice aquascaping with freshwater plants, but first of all.. freshwater fish are too easy for me now and second, freshwater plants are GREEN and GREEN only

Anyhow.. I'm still in the researching/brainstorming stage.. but I'll definitely post pics when I get it officially set up! (In a month or two) thanks for your input!

|BL|RS|PIAA|CFE|CFMC|SSM|CFG|CFDP|ABG|M6|AFE|MTECH |RPI|JB+|CSLT|KWSC|
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Question

Why you think anyone would think fishtanks are gay?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #28
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

the anemomne is the Red color thing way in the back that u can barely see. the green guy in the bottom right is a frog spwan. ( my personal favorite coral of all time )

i suggest www.reefcentral.com for THE reef forum.
its the largest.. but since it is.. u get a lot of false information also.

I am not a fan of a protein skimmer... i think the less parts you have the better.
Im also not a fan of powerheads if you dont need them unless you have the power heads that can generate random flow in the tank.

If you plan to make a large tank...55 gallons and above, id skip the skimmer and powerheads.

I would make sure the tank has 2 good overflows that run down into the refugium. All your heaters, algea for phospate control hidden away from the main tank. and get a good pump from the refugium back to the Main tank with a spray bar.

Every person will have different opinions about how to run a tank, so id make a budget and start from there.

fk
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn.. and I was planning to glue the anemone right at the center so it'll be my main centerpiece..

WOW that's why I want to take my hobby to the next level.. your anemone looks sickk.. where can I get them and are they safe for clowns? I'm thinking about getting a wild True Percula Clown.
Anemone are the homes for clowns, when the clown eats it brings food back to the anemone for him to eat. At night the clown will bury himself in the anemone much like a pig lays in mud.

11-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #30
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Only certain wild species of clownfish will interact with sea aneomes. You will rarely see a farm bred clownfish interacting with sea aneomes. To be honest, I have never seen an interaction with sea anemones with my clownfishes wild and farm bred.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Only certain wild species of clownfish will interact with sea aneomes. You will rarely see a farm bred clownfish interacting with sea aneomes. To be honest, I have never seen an interaction with sea anemones with my clownfishes wild and farm bred.
mine loved mine. He was pissed when I took it out of the tank. Now he loves the frogspawn. Which is very surprising.
      11-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #32
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Why you think anyone would think fishtanks are gay?
Haha could've been my "gay" prejudism.. when I was breeding/aquascaping freshwater tanks when I was in the teens, some friends thought the hobby was "gay" during that stage.. (because the majority of my friends did what rowdy young teenagers do best -- drink, smoke, party, and drink!) so maybe it was just my psychological implications..

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #33
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Hmm I was looking through the forum and I see quite a good amount of people having Yasha Goby + Pistol Shrimp combo in their tanks.. they both have great personalities and good looks so I'm planning to put them on my "to-buy" list.. anyone know if they have any conflicts with clowns?

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #34
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

clownfish are just territorial and agressive towards their own kind. best is if u can get them to nest in a soft coral or anemone on the side of the tank.

most gobys like to hide or run away fast.

fk
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

OP....Good luck! I envy you, I have always wanted to get into having a large salt tank, Just don't have the time!

Keep us updated!

BTW: have any of you seen or used systems that monitor the water and tank's vitals via computer? I had a customer with a tank that was all controlled by his laptop. Pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #36
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
OP....Good luck! I envy you, I have always wanted to get into having a large salt tank, Just don't have the time!

Keep us updated!

BTW: have any of you seen or used systems that monitor the water and tank's vitals via computer? I had a customer with a tank that was all controlled by his laptop. Pretty cool.
yes, my good friend ran his tank with a computer setup. I forget the name of it. It would give salinity readings and all bells and whistles.
      11-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
most everything in a salt tank is analogous. there are programs available that do basically what an excel spreadsheet can do, but by no means can a computer control an aquarium, minus digital light timers and automatic feeders. there are, however, digital monitors for pH and a couple other measurements, but the equipment is very expensive and not much more accurate than standard chemical indicator type tests. but back to the computer thing, those programs are usually just log book style programs that let you input the data you acquire from the actual testing itself for tracking purposes. it can be helpful if you have lots of tanks, but if you just have a tank in your living room, it probably isn't that useful. plus, after a bunch of months having a healthy tank, there isn't much testing you should need to do outside of checking and adjusting calcium, pH, and alkalinity levels.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #38
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Oh waaaaaat that's pretty cool! I looked around and found that "Aqua Chef" thingy where it routinely feeds the fish which I thought was really cool.. I would definitely hook it up to my comp since I'm on the comp very frequently.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #39
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Keep us updated!

Don't have time? What do you do might I ask? Take frequent business trips? Hmm well it's not like you won't be very limited on time forever.. so when that time comes, go for it! I found my timing..

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #40
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

the thing about automatic fish feeders is they're only good for pellet or flake food, which isn't exactly proper diet for saltwater fish. it's great to use while you're away, but fresh or prepared frozen food mixes are preferred most of the time. plus, feeding them using a coral feeder is fun, they go crazy!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #41
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Coral feeder.. check.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #42
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Quote:
Don't have time? What do you do might I ask? Take frequent business trips? Hmm well it's not like you won't be very limited on time forever.. so when that time comes, go for it! I found my timing..
Full time IT/Operations Manager for a small company in addition to running my own business and being a full time student. Also, getting ready for med school and trying to live a little bit on the side I agree, I will eventually be able to get into it, that's why I am trying to learn as much as possible before I do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #43
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Full time IT/Operations Manager for a small company in addition to running my own business and being a full time student. Also, getting ready for med school and trying to live a little bit on the side I agree, I will eventually be able to get into it, that's why I am trying to learn as much as possible before I do so.
WOW.. I thought my schedule was hectic during my college/two-job years.. well.. looks like you will be earning the big bucks and sooner or later be getting one of those 220 gallon reef tanks! After joining this forum, I learned that one must preservere and monitor/study every aspect of the hobby, and pull the trigger when one is 110% ready.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #44
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Did everyone that own their saltwater tanks make their own sumps?? I went to reef central, and I see some people made it and others bought it modified from the LFS. If bought, how much does it usually run and is it easy to make?

Appreciate 0