BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-22-2020, 02:04 AM   #23
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I have started getting flooded with these notices too - and pretty impressed with how BMW has tracked down my E92 M3. Bought it used, never taken to the dealer, never registered it again after the initial purchase, moved since the purchase. Guess they have been spending some serious time doing title searches or something?

I'm very tempted just to go the local dealer and tell them just to tape up an airbag to the wheel or something to get BMW to quit with the letters

They get the information from the ministry, whenever your plate is due for renewal they select the latest information available.
I would love to see what the dealership says when they see your car like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
A friend of mine took his driver's airbag deleted, non street registered, national championship winning conepacking E46 to the dealer to get them to stop calling him.

They replaced the deactivated passenger bag with a new deactivated passenger bag and marked the driver's airbag as non-replaceable due to removal.

He was hoping that they'd try to hook up ISTA to the Megasquirt, but that never happened.
They use to do this but not anymore in Canada I think. They just refuse to work on the car most of the time. A friend of mine had a E39 M5 with the same stickers on the door panel saying that the curtain airbags have been disabled.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:20 AM   #24
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Probably Volvo stealing your mail because you betrayed the local company.
Hahaha! Probably the case, obviously a true Volvo fan deep down, even if it is years since the last T5 Estate.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #25
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Hey I’m not getting any younger, want to make sure I don’t forget out on track
Ouch, so I better glue one of those emblem to the wheel as well then...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #26
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
They use to do this but not anymore in Canada I think. They just refuse to work on the car most of the time. A friend of mine had a E39 M5 with the same stickers on the door panel saying that the curtain airbags have been disabled.
Here, it wasn't registration. That car hasn't been street legal in many years, and before my friend took title.

BMWNA wouldn't stop calling him about it, so he took it in as a joke.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
My local dealer actually sent out a tech to my house, at my request, and changed the airbag in my garage.

If you are apprehensive about taking your M to the dealer like me, I suggest you inquire about a mobile replacement option (i.e., at home or work).
This is the best post yet. I get it, my car gets screwed every single time I take it in. I can't win BUT unlike many recalls it's not like the airbag might not deploy. It has been proven defective airbags can kill you even in a minor accident if defective especially in hot humid areas and it's not only you. I initially didn't think much about it until one day I realized I had both kids in the back seat and wondered what would happen if shards of hot metal shot past me into the back seats in an accident. So I changed them. Sure enough on one car they scratched the steering wheel trim but at least I feel better when the kids jump in the car. I actually think in the case of this recall that's a pretty creative letter. Normally I would say if something bad happened it might improve the gene pool, but I don't know if you have a lovely wife and kids. In that case it's not their choice to risk their lives by jumping in the car with you.
Appreciate 0