BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

E93 Supercharger basic questions

Hello,
I hope to not piss any of you off with stupid questions but here goes.
I’m looking at a 2013 E93 M3 with less than 44K on the clock with an Active Autowerke supercharger installed. I’m not all that knowledgeable with the technical side of superchargers let alone cars in general.

What are some things I need to look at while conducting a pre purchase inspection on the supercharger and the affecting parts of the engine?

How can I tell what “level” supercharger is installed?

Are superchargers reliable and daily drive able?

If necessary can the supercharger be unbolted and sold or are there be internal parts installed as well?

I appreciate your reply's.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Id recommend ensuring that rod bearings were changed with the SC install. If not, that would be the first thing I did to the car. An oil analysis would be nice to have. The "level" is typically determined by the pulley size, injectors and sw version. The systems are reliable and daily drive able for sure. You can unbolt and go back to stock pretty easily, assuming you have the plenum and injectors.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Id recommend ensuring that rod bearings were changed with the SC install. If not, that would be the first thing I did to the car. An oil analysis would be nice to have. The "level" is typically determined by the pulley size, injectors and sw version. The systems are reliable and daily drive able for sure. You can unbolt and go back to stock pretty easily, assuming you have the plenum and injectors.
thank you,

thats about what I was thinking. the car is a '13 and i understand that the bearings are different than the 08-10 and the oil analysis doesn't help as is does with the older gen cars.
from what i understand Active Atowerkes installed the kit. the dealer is unhelpful of course so ive reached out to active to see if they did the rod bearings as well but the car has such low miles and is a 2013 im guessing they passed on the bearings at the time of install. we'll see. if not this would be on my list for sure.

are there any failure points, oil leaks or obvious things to look for that could indicate a hard life as the supercharger in concerned?

thanks again

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

All you can see on "hard use" would come from an oil report. Not much else to check as the biggest issue with superchargers is they put more strain on the main bearing #1. Look for elevated aluminum and tin for that model year. Everything else would be normal PPI type stuff looking for leaks.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
3Pedals_6Speeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
thank you,

thats about what I was thinking. the car is a '13 and i understand that the bearings are different than the 08-10 and the oil analysis doesn't help as is does with the older gen cars.
-Mark
Oil analysis doesn't help on >2010 cars?

Appreciate 0