BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Clutch Noise????

Hi guys so I'm not sure if there is anything wrong but anyway this is what happened so since I've gotten the car it's been making a click clunk idk I guess noise when I'm at idle and press the clutch in or take it out. It's not multiple clicks/clunks it's just one when it goes in one when it goes out idk if this is normal but since that's how it's been since I got it I paid no attention to that until today where one of my co workers got me all sketched out by saying that's not normal and why is it making that noise should I be worried? Or does this clown with the frs have no idea what he's talking about?

PS: I don't think he even drives a manual smh...

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

i'd have to hear your noise, but i suspect your coworker has never heard a clutch in a proper car. you should hear the racket a lightweight flywheel makes. a good GT3 flywheel in a 997TT sounds like bolts are rattling around at idle.

2008 clutches are talkataive, i believe mine does the same thing; without hearing it, i suspect the noise is normal. if i drop the pedal while in neutral, there's a decided 'clunk'. mine also does a 'tick tick tick tick' especially when warm, and this can be modulated by depressing and letting off the clutch pedal while in neutral. normal. BMW pussed out and went with a heavier flywheel in 2009+ to pacify those who couldn't stand a high performance car making high performance car noises. i've had a variety of performance cars make a variety of clutch noises in my time.

whenever your clutch goes, you'll either have to get the 2009+ flywheel + clutch or upgrade to something aftermarket; the disc and pressure plate for the 2008 is no longer available. i'll be going with a reduced weight + single mass flywheel whenever mine comes due.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

nitrojunky is right, I have a 2008 6MT with just 40k miles and my clutch makes similar noises, especially before it's warmed up, and has done so since I bought it at 27k miles. It's normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

My 08 clutch with 95k miles doesn't make any noises like that from simply pressing the clutch. Is it while you're stationary? Only clicks are from the worn U-joints on my driveshaft when I load/unload the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

for me, the sound I get most often is a short tin can sound when I push in the clutch as I come to a stop at the first stop light near my house. It kinda rattles a bit as the driveshaft is disengaged and the flywheel gets free. The sound goes away mostly I think when it's more warmed up. I have kind of forgotten more details of it and other sounds because I haven't driven the car in like 6 weeks. I have been going through the car and doing a bunch of maintenance items and it's still apart in my garage. I think the "M clunk" as they call it is a pretty well known issue though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer20 View Post
I think the "M clunk" as they call it is a pretty well known issue though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer20 View Post
I think the "M clunk" as they call it is a pretty well known issue though.
mine will do a 'clunk rattle rattle' thing if i abruptly depress the pedal while in gear and off throttle or abruptly drop the pedal in neutral. and then it'll go the the helicopter + tick tick tick noises if in neutral. lol

regular clutch noises IMO; i've also heard it in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Mine sounds like a bell when it engages. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Also when it's warm, it does a rattle. I had a light weight flywheel on my E36 and it sounded similar so I'm not too worried but it seems to scare my passengers
      06-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #9
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojunky View Post
i'd have to hear your noise, but i suspect your coworker has never heard a clutch in a proper car. you should hear the racket a lightweight flywheel makes. a good GT3 flywheel in a 997TT sounds like bolts are rattling around at idle.

2008 clutches are talkataive, i believe mine does the same thing; without hearing it, i suspect the noise is normal. if i drop the pedal while in neutral, there's a decided 'clunk'. mine also does a 'tick tick tick tick' especially when warm, and this can be modulated by depressing and letting off the clutch pedal while in neutral. normal. BMW pussed out and went with a heavier flywheel in 2009+ to pacify those who couldn't stand a high performance car making high performance car noises. i've had a variety of performance cars make a variety of clutch noises in my time.

whenever your clutch goes, you'll either have to get the 2009+ flywheel + clutch or upgrade to something aftermarket; the disc and pressure plate for the 2008 is no longer available. i'll be going with a reduced weight + single mass flywheel whenever mine comes due.
Thank you for the response and anyone else who said anything thanks you guys calmed me down it seems like this is a common thing that I shouldn't worry about but I'll have one of my newly acquired BMW friends check it out when we hang out but yea thanks guys!
Appreciate 0