BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

03-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #45
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttomanTR16 View Post
Search for the following terms. Phishing, Vishing and SMShing. These are basic methods of Fraud. Fraudsters uses these simple methods to trick people into giving their personal information.

If you guys want to know more about Fraud check the below links. They contain hacked websites used for Phishing to trick people like us into entering our personal information. These hackers target just about any Organizations world wide. Most common targeted Organizations are Banks (All) , Insurance Companies, Ebay, Amazon etc.

I work for a IT Company and deal with Anti-Fraud.

http://support.clean-mx.de/clean-mx/phishing.php
http://www.phishtank.com/
Hm, malicious link? Jk
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #46
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
My story? I had $800 racked up over the course of 2 evenings... Dec 11 and 12. My birthday is Dec 15; imagine my embarrassment when I'm out with friends and getting a declination notice when I KNOW I got paid the week before. Hope ID thieves eat shit and live. I'd say eat shit and die, but staying alive knowing you ate fecal matter would probably haunt you for the rest of your life; I'm sure even the 2G1C girls are probably kicking themselves in the head by now.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #47
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

My card number got stolen last year and ever since my bank shuts my card off and calls me for the stupidest stuff. "There was a charge at the McDade's grocery store for $12 (0.3 miles from my house)." YES, THAT WAS ME.

Well my card got ripped off again and used in Georgia a few months ago, nothing. No call, no freeze, I didn't know about it until I looked at my bank statement. Fortunately the bank reimbursed me without much hassle and the morons only spent about $80 anyway. Just a pain in the ass to get a new card. That was my debit card, my CC number has never been stolen though.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #48
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

just saw two transactions from a food chain in Canada, called my bank, card is closed, now I'm fucked overseas with only a debit card. don't know how they do it but this will be more common place as we digitise our lives. I scan my accounts daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #49
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

"Let me start by stating that I f@&king hate thieves with a passion"

Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #50
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Gf just had the same thing happen last weekend. CC company called and left a vm about some charges, Called CC company back, they closed the cards, over nighted her a new card. It was just a $58 charge but good the company caught it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #51
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I was doing pretty good up until the last few years. I went to Yuma for a 1 day meeting and stopped by the Target by the mall for a gallon of water. Bam!...got caught up in the Target hack.

The following year, Home Depot.

Then I found 2 purchases of a few hundred bucks each at a FFL on the east coast and a sporting goods store in Houston (which was also a FFL). The more unnerving part on was the fact that I cannot even find out exactly what was purchased (ammo, access, or cheap handgun/rifle) and I wasn't notified by my card carrier.

After that episode, I finally got a 2nd card and relegated the replacement of the 1st to utilities only. Had to get the 2nd card replaced at some point for a minor unauthorized purchase, but still...

I've also been caught up in some larger agency hacks and get offered a year of LifeLock. Really?! Wtf.... It's all good, though. I'm not really worried because we care more about Miley Cyrus and Caitlyn Jenner in this country then cybersecurity.

Once, I made 2 purchases from a Walmart in Albuquerque before heading to a remote area for work. I basically bought a cooler and some food/water then went right back in to pick up a hard drive. When I later drove over to Socorro for gas, I discovered that my card carrier had locked my account for a fraudulent purchase at a Walmart in Albuquerque...the same one I was at...at the same day/time I was there. They only flagged the 2nd purchase (hard drive). I can't win.

Last edited by bosstones; 04-10-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #52
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Knocking on wood, I've never had my credit or debit card compromised. I used to work in Fraud Management for both, so I guess I just exercise some enhanced due diligence that the norm do not. I've seen all kinds of ways your debit and credit cards can be compromised. 80% is your own fault.

To the OP, you'll get your money back. The CU will be able to see the compromise and cover you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #53
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Someone once managed to steal all of my reward points I earned through a rewards CC. Didn't steal the CC, just the points. The bank never found out how they did it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #54
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I was doing pretty good up until the last few years. I went to Yuma for a 1 day meeting and stopped by the Target by the mall for a gallon of water. Bam!...got caught up in the Target hack.

The following year, Home Depot.

Then I found 2 purchases of a few hundred bucks each at a FFL on the east coast and a sporting goods store in Houston (which was also a FFL). The more unnerving part on was the fact that I cannot even find out exactly what was purchased (ammo, access, or cheap handgun/rifle) and I wasn't notified by my card carrier.

After that episode, I finally got a 2nd card and relegated the replacement of the 1st to utilities only. Had to get the 2nd card replaced at some point for a minor unauthorized purchase, but still...

I've also been caught up in some larger agency hacks and get offered a year of LifeLock. Really?! Wtf.... It's all good, though. I'm not really worried because we care more about Miley Cyrus and Caitlyn Jenner in this country then cybersecurity.

Once, I made 2 purchases from a Walmart in Albuquerque before heading to a remote area for work. I basically bought a cooler and some food/water then went right back in to pick up a hard drive. When I later drove over to Socorro for gas, I discovered that my card carrier had locked my account for a fraudulent purchase at a Walmart in Albuquerque...the same one I was at...at the same day/time I was there. They only flagged the 2nd purchase (hard drive). I can't win.
You're a guy who needs to download the app like the Visa Location Finder that verifies if you and your card are in the same location. It's handy for people who travel a lot.
Appreciate 1