BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

03-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Hoosiers R7

I'm trying sticky tires for the first time...am pretty excited. However, the weather forecast for this weekend includes some 30 degree temperature Saturday night.

So what's everyone's practice with regards to freezing temperatures and Hoosiers.

Should I bag it, stick with my PSS's....or drive on...and try out my new tires?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Don't let them sit below freezing, you really legitimately can ruin a Hoosier by letting them get too cold. It's one thing to drive on them when working the tire will put some heat into them, but just letting them sit out in the cold can cause the compound to lose its goodness
      04-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe/E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
I'm trying sticky tires for the first time...am pretty excited. However, the weather forecast for this weekend includes some 30 degree temperature Saturday night.

So what's everyone's practice with regards to freezing temperatures and Hoosiers.

Should I bag it, stick with my PSS's....or drive on...and try out my new tires?

Thanks.
Agree what was said above. When it starts to get near freezing get them inside. Hooziers are especially susceptible since they are ultra sticky. The R7s are a little different than the R6's and are supposed to wear better on the track but this has no effect on the cold. You can tell if they are left in the cold repeatedly. Driving is ok as long as its sustained.