BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Can I use an ESS tune on a VF540 kit?

Asking because I can get a great discount on the ESS tune. Should be the same hardware but not positive.

Thanks in advance guys!
      07-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Nope, they won't touch it. But if they did, I would bet pretty much every VF owner would come running!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Talk to Mike Benvo, he may be able to help you out.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Talk to Mike Benvo, he may be able to help you out.
Thanks. I'm on mobile so I will have to search for his info after work.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomz_M3 View Post
Thanks. I'm on mobile so I will have to search for his info after work.
-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133

**taken from his signature, that's his contact info.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Not sure why you would want to do that? Is VF that expensive? How much more could it be?

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS
Not sure why you would want to do that? Is VF that expensive? How much more could it be?
^ this

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
206_m3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YAS F80 M3

i have seen most tunes go for about 1k
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:53 AM   #9
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

I spoke to Mike Benvo. Will likely go with him as I've heard very good things about that tune. I do have a friend who can get me ESS at a huge discount though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #10
Toxic 335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Why not a custom tune ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #11
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Good luck.

I would go with whoever is most familiar with the kit....like VF, but that's just me.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Good luck.

I would go with whoever is most familiar with the kit....like VF, but that's just me.
Good point. Guess I will hit them up later, as I wasnt able to find anything on their page for just ordering the tune (I tried).
      07-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Tom pls.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Tom pls.
Change up those tails!
      07-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomz_M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Tom pls.
Change up those tails!

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Asking because I can get a great discount on the ESS tune. Should be the same hardware but not positive.

Thanks in advance guys!
Your best bet is to always use the vendor who makes the actual hardware. The reasons one would think would be obvious but I have seen common sense often times go out the window when it comes to aftermarket tuning. This is especially true when people try to save a few dollars. On a motor that costs $20k to replace and on a product that costs several thousands of dollars to aquire this still blows my mind.

The vendor who makes the actual hardware spends a great deal of time calibrating the software for the hardware they designed. Nobody spends more time with that product than they do. You need to work with the car directly when building supercharger software from scratch and to make it work 100% you need a decent amount of time with the vehicle on the road and on the dyno. Anyone who wanted to tune one of our SC kits from scratch would need to calibrate it in person, on the dyno and on the road. This would require a great deal of data logging, knowledge and time. Chances are the 17 years of BMW tuning expierence and 7 years we have spent on our M3 SC software would be better than anything anyone could attempt to build in an afternoon for our hardware.

Because the MSS60 ECU will adapt a great deal on its own it can mask small errors in calibrations and the car will often run ok with a generic file but if you want proper tuning this is not the best option. Just because a kit looks similar or uses the same blower to another does not mean one file will work on both properly. Small changes in the injectors and or boost being used for example can require calibration changes that will provide better performance and reliability. For example we use different injectors on our kits and we have changed them over the years. These changes require different files for our products to work 100%. Each set of injectors we have used over the years need seperate calibrations to make max power and perform as intended. Simply mixing our own files from one kit to the next can cause performance issues.

We do not tune other vendors products as a standard practice and we would not sell you a file for another vendors kit if you asked but if we were going to we would require the car at our facility for about a week to do so. Anybody who says they can build a SC tune 100% from scratch without having direct acces to a car is not telling the truth or is simply selling software they most likley did not develop and they are depending on the ECU to self correct any errors or changes needed in the calibrations.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Your best bet is to always use the vendor who makes the actual hardware. The reasons one would think would be obvious but I have seen common sense often times go out the window when it comes to aftermarket tuning. This is especially true when people try to save a few dollars. On a motor that costs $20k to replace and on a product that costs several thousands of dollars to aquire this still blows my mind.

The vendor who makes the actual hardware spends a great deal of time calibrating the software for the hardware they designed. Nobody spends more time with that product than they do. You need to work with the car directly when building supercharger software from scratch and to make it work 100% you need a decent amount of time with the vehicle on the road and on the dyno. Anyone who wanted to tune one of our SC kits from scratch would need to calibrate it in person, on the dyno and on the road. This would require a great deal of data logging, knowledge and time. Chances are the 17 years of BMW tuning expierence and 7 years we have spent on our M3 SC software would be better than anything anyone could attempt to build in an afternoon for our hardware.

Because the MSS60 ECU will adapt a great deal on its own it can mask small errors in calibrations and the car will often run ok with a generic file but if you want proper tuning this is not the best option. Just because a kit looks similar or uses the same blower to another does not mean one file will work on both properly. Small changes in the injectors and or boost being used for example can require calibration changes that will provide better performance and reliability. For example we use different injectors on our kits and we have changed them over the years. These changes require different files for our products to work 100%. Each set of injectors we have used over the years need seperate calibrations to make max power and perform as intended. Simply mixing our own files from one kit to the next can cause performance issues.

We do not tune other vendors products as a standard practice and we would not sell you a file for another vendors kit if you asked but if we were going to we would require the car at our facility for about a week to do so. Anybody who says they can build a SC tune 100% from scratch without having direct acces to a car is not telling the truth or is simply selling software they most likley did not develop and they are depending on the ECU to self correct any errors or changes needed in the calibrations.
This is the kind of information I was looking for. I also contacted VF and they responded. I did see the BPM website where they offer different tunes. However, with VF the price difference is minor/inconsequential so I will be going with them. Thank you!
      07-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
This is the kind of information I was looking for. I also contacted VF and they responded. I did see the BPM website where they offer different tunes. However, with VF the price difference is minor/inconsequential so I will be going with them. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Well said Roman. VF support has been excellent to me and the car runs great
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
However, with VF the price difference is minor/inconsequential so I will be going with them. Thank you!
Good move. That's why I suggested going with VF.

Just like Roman said, in your case VF is your best bet.

The tune is the last thing anyone should try and get cheap on.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Good move. That's why I suggested going with VF.

Just like Roman said, in your case VF is your best bet.

The tune is the last thing anyone should try and get cheap on.
Thanks. In any case if it were an ESS kit I would have had a discount but the fact that I may have had that wouldn't have meant I was "getting cheap" on the tune. I'm new to supercharging so wasnt sure whether the tunes were interchangeable or not. If they were, would just make sense to use an advantage available to me. I've also heard very good things about BPM and the price is virtually the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We do not tune other vendors products as a standard practice and we would not sell you a file for another vendors kit if you asked but if we were going to we would require the car at our facility for about a week to do so.
You guys did tune someone's Dinan stroker. :-)
Appreciate 0