BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
e90 //M3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6spd

Wheel/Tire Setups

So I'm about to run through a set of tires, and I'm contemplating running two sets of wheels/tires: Street and track.

I've got the OEM 220's 19in, and was going to just shelve those bad boys and get some BBS wheels when I got my new tires. Get 'em from tirerack mounted, balanced and with new TPMS sensors.

Questions:
1. If I store the old wheels/tires in the garage, is the onboard TPMS going to pick up those sensors and get confused? Forgive me, I have no idea how TPMS actually communicates.

2. I'm putting about 3,000mi/yr on the car. Is having two sets a waste of $$ or should I just run my competition wheels/tires 24/7? What kind of mileage are people getting out of competition tires like the R888 or Hoosiers?

3. Old tires: I should totally get some burnout footage since they won't pass inspection anyways right?
      04-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 //M3 View Post
So I'm about to run through a set of tires, and I'm contemplating running two sets of wheels/tires: Street and track.

I've got the OEM 220's 19in, and was going to just shelve those bad boys and get some BBS wheels when I got my new tires. Get 'em from tirerack mounted, balanced and with new TPMS sensors.

Questions:
1. If I store the old wheels/tires in the garage, is the onboard TPMS going to pick up those sensors and get confused? Forgive me, I have no idea how TPMS actually communicates.

you can reset the TPMS in iDrive when your new tires are installed.

2. I'm putting about 3,000mi/yr on the car. Is having two sets a waste of $$ or should I just run my competition wheels/tires 24/7? What kind of mileage are people getting out of competition tires like the R888 or Hoosiers?

Yes, a waste if you're only driving 3000 miles. I really like the Yokohama AD08 as a track tire. Look into those as well. Unless you're set on R888/Hoosiers.

3. Old tires: I should totally get some burnout footage since they won't pass inspection anyways right?
Yes. Let's see video!!!
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Agreed on the two sets of wheels and tires being a waste if you are only driving 3k miles a year in nice weather.

R888's/NT01/RA1 have a tread pattern and you may be able to get away with running them on the street with few miles on the way to the track.

Hoosiers/BFG R-1's/Hankook Z214's do not have a tread pattern and I would not drive those on the street. They would attract a lot of attention and have no hydroplaning resistance. They also require heat to work properly and will pick up debris very easily. Their construction is meant for track exclusively.

Disclaimer: I've tracked on all of these tires personally including all of the max performance summer rubber (AD08, AD08R, Rival, Z1SS, Z2, RE11, RT615)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
e90 //M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Yes. Let's see video!!!
Don't have iDrive.
      04-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
e90 //M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Agreed on the two sets of wheels and tires being a waste if you are only driving 3k miles a year in nice weather.

R888's/NT01/RA1 have a tread pattern and you may be able to get away with running them on the street with few miles on the way to the track.

Hoosiers/BFG R-1's/Hankook Z214's do not have a tread pattern and I would not drive those on the street. They would attract a lot of attention and have no hydroplaning resistance. They also require heat to work properly and will pick up debris very easily. Their construction is meant for track exclusively.

Disclaimer: I've tracked on all of these tires personally including all of the max performance summer rubber (AD08, AD08R, Rival, Z1SS, Z2, RE11, RT615)
Which do you find to be the most streetable? Asking because I may find myself driving in the rain every once in a while.
      04-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 //M3 View Post
Which do you find to be the most streetable? Asking because I may find myself driving in the rain every once in a while.
Yokohama AD08R has awesome rain performance for the amount of dry grip and longevity it offers. RE-11A's are also great but not a lot of bigger sizes available yet.

Of the R-compounds, the Toyo R888's aren't bad in the wet, with good water evacuation, but they wear quickly on heavy cars in the dry when pushed hard. I've been told the Nitto NT-01 is OK in the wet at full depth but quickly becomes useless in puddles as the tread wears.
Appreciate 0