E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fog lights do what??

01-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #45
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Bullshit.

Explain to me the logic that makes you think that a foglight will assist you in being noticed when you've got a pair of extremely high lumen Xenon lights with a far more power in a far larger pattern just 12" away?

Front foglights are just fine by me if you want to drive around with them on all the time. I mean, you are basically letting the world know you are a god damn attention whore who wants to look cool, but if that is who you are, embrace your true self and have at it...

Now, REAR foglights are an entirely different matter. I have no problem with attention whoring when it doesn't really effect me, but those rear foglights are blinding to traffic behind you in anything less then the thickest fog. The idiots who drive around with them on should have a 40mm grenade launched into their vehicle because the sight of those lights on proves that they are too selfish to think about the effects of their decisions on others OR they are just Terry Schiavo braindead and should be put out of their misery.

Extra lights are extra lights. They come out of another projector and hit the ground in different point, therefore they are in no way bad. If you dont like them, then dont fucking use them. Its not that hard. But I do support your argument that they are mostly cosmetic and rear fog are what's really important.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #46
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
i don't think you're missing anything. I can barely tell the difference when the Fogs are on.

OMG

People, wethr you bearly notice it or not.... they do their job. Simply turn only your fog lights on at night in your driveway and see their plume. Also, next time your driving in fog be really dumb and put your bright lights on... you'll be blinded!

The reason is direct light reflects of the fog and lights up the fog, thus blinding you while you drive. FOG LIGHTS, light up under your vision so it's not direct light and the reflection doesnt come back at you and also lights up the road striping and ground DIRECTLY in front of you.

If Fog is so thick you cannot see directly in front of you, then no matter what you use it will be ineffective. Fog lights are not ment to protect you from running something over...lol Your a very BAD driver if your moving your vehichle so fast that you cannot react, it's ment to llight up the area they do.... for safer driving.

Fog lights do work, are not some vodoo myth and are a proven engineering. Fog lights are intended to light up the road directly in front and to the side of your car so that the driver is better able to see the markings and their orientation on the road. They are NOT ment to show you anything past 20 feet.....!

-Garrett

Last edited by Garrett; 01-06-2006 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #47
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Well said Garret!!! Also, I should mention that a lot of cheapo-economy cars in Europe don't come with an extra set of front fog lights, but rather the ability to change the angle-of-attack of the main headlights. So, when fog rolls in you hit a dial that points the headlights downward towards the road, assisting you in seeing directly in front of your car (the road markings).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #48
Dizzy330i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Lightbulb And there's more...

Aside from what Garret mentioned about the lights being under your field of vision, therefore preventing the lights from being directly reflected back, there is apparently one other reason why fog lights are now built low to the ground on cars.

Try this on a foggy day: Place your head close to the ground and look along it the way the fog lights are projected whn they are lit. Because the ground is at a higher temperature, the air close the ground is also warmer increasing the amount of moisture that air can hold (i.e. further from the dew point than the colder air directly above it). This causes the fog to be much lighter and sometimes even non-existent close to the ground even though it may be thick otherwise. It then makes perfect sense that lights projected low to the ground travel further and provide greater, more efficient illumination (as less light is scattered by fog) than the regular headlights further up in foggy conditions.

Right? And they are an excellent complement for angel eyes in clear conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #49
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Also a good point Dizzy!!!
Appreciate 0