BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
How to...business related

Write a letter to a recruiter that you kinda know but not really? Before I confuse you guys some more, let me explain. I was talking with my friend the other night and he told me that his girlfriend works at x company and she's part of the recruiting team. So today, he sent me all her contact info to get in touch with her. What would be the right way to email her? I met her once about 6-7 months ago. Would you keep it formal but mention that her boyfriend (my friend) was the one that gave me her contact info incase she doesn't remember me?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Write a letter to a recruiter that you kinda know but not really? Before I confuse you guys some more, let me explain. I was talking with my friend the other night and he told me that his girlfriend works at x company and she's part of the recruiting team. So today, he sent me all her contact info to get in touch with her. What would be the right way to email her? I met her once about 6-7 months ago. Would you keep it formal but mention that her boyfriend (my friend) was the one that gave me her contact info incase she doesn't remember me?
Pick up the phone and call her. Use email as a follow up to the conversation. Requiters get mounds of email and yours will have a good change of getting lost.

1. Phone call.
2. Follow up email.
3. Face to face meeting.

When she answers say something such as 'hi my name is Bob Smith, you likely don't remember me, but we met through a mutual friend, John Doe, a number of months ago, the reason for my call today is....'

As I said above, one you are finished with the conversation send her a quick email thanking her for her time, summarizing the conversation, and pointing out next steps.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Pick up the phone and call her. Use email as a follow up to the conversation. Requiters get mounds of email and yours will have a good change of getting lost.

1. Phone call.
2. Follow up email.
3. Face to face meeting.

When she answers say something such as 'hi my name is Bob Smith, you likely don't remember me, but we met through a mutual friend, John Doe, a number of months ago, the reason for my call today is....'

As I said above, one you are finished with the conversation send her a quick email thanking her for her time, summarizing the conversation, and pointing out next steps.
This is how it works.
      07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

1. Phone call.
2. Follow up email.
3. Face to face meeting.

Agree phone call is definitely the way to go, 100% but it might not be a bad idea to have your buddy mention that you'll be contacting her. And I'd say just leave out "you likely don't remember me" I don't like how negative it sounds. Plus, if she does actually recall meeting you it puts her in an awkward position.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
Agree phone call is definitely the way to go, 100% but it might not be a bad idea to have your buddy mention that you'll be contacting her. And I'd say just leave out "you likely don't remember me" I don't like how negative it sounds. Plus, if she does actually recall meeting you it puts her in an awkward position.

Just my .02
Agree, however this assumes the relationship is going well. You never know what is going on between them so I would rather do the intro myself and based on the conversation, ask you buddy to give you a reference afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
People always ask me to put them in touch
The person who offers the contact usually e-mails the contact with you in CC with something along the lines like

"Hi Derpina,
My friend Herp (in copy) saw your vacancy for position x and I thought to put you two in contact. Hopefully you could help him out in the recruitment process. I really appreciate anything you could do for him!

I took the liberty of attaching his CV.

Regards,
Derpinsteen"

That's how I usually do it for people. And it works
      07-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Thanks guys! I took your advice and called her. Right when I told her who I was, she knew who I was immediately. My buddy had told her about me. So the conversation was informal from then on. I appreciate the help though!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
People always ask me to put them in touch
The person who offers the contact usually e-mails the contact with you in CC with something along the lines like

"Hi Derpina,
My friend Herp (in copy) saw your vacancy for position x and I thought to put you two in contact. Hopefully you could help him out in the recruitment process. I really appreciate anything you could do for him!

I took the liberty of attaching his CV.

Regards,
Derpinsteen"

That's how I usually do it for people. And it works
Appreciate 0