BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

VW debuts new 7 speed DSG

It appears this new DSG is a step backwards from the current DSG except for the increase from 6 speed to 7 speed. It is built to accomodate even smaller displacement engines rather than larger high reving motors. It is now a dry clutch rather than a wet clutch. This would appear to make it even more vulnerable to burning clutches. It makes me wonder if Porsche is struggling to develop a DSG for it's high reving motors. It sounds like the M division may be ahead of the competition with their upcoming DCT. I can't wait to see how it performs.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/25/v...t-end-of-year/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
It appears this new DSG is a step backwards from the current DSG except for the increase from 6 speed to 7 speed. It is built to accomodate even smaller displacement engines rather than larger high reving motors. It is now a dry clutch rather than a wet clutch. This would appear to make it even more vulnerable to burning clutches. It makes me wonder if Porsche is struggling to develop a DSG for it's high reving motors. It sounds like the M division may be ahead of the competition with their upcoming DCT. I can't wait to see how it performs.
Dry clutches are preferred for efficiency. The Getrag 7-speed DCT uses wet clutches, and I have been guessing this is the E92's, but some say it will be ZF.

http://www.getrag.de/455

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Dry clutches are preferred for efficiency. The Getrag 7-speed DCT uses wet clutches, and I have been guessing this is the E92's, but some say it will be ZF.

http://www.getrag.de/455
Both ZF and Getrag are to supply BMW with such gearboxes

Which one will make the M ones and which the non-M ones isnt known publicly yet
      05-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
jkalex05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e92 335i

I heard from a friend that works with the research team in munich that the they are looking at over 5 different Duel Clutch Trannys. He said he believes the M future DCT will be from the same company that makes the Transmissions for BMW Sauber F1.
Appreciate 0