BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

10-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

siiick pix! congrats

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
snowmants
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06S2K,'11EVO,'11Jeep,'13GL450

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
oh my bad, i completely forgot that coil overs which give you a lower center of gravity and less body roll negatively affect performance
function > 4x4 m3
They sure can.

What about maintaining proper suspension geometry? All of the OEM parts are designed to work in concert. A team of BMW Engineers with a multi-million dollar R&D budget put this suspension setup together and fine tuned it at the track with input from professional racing drivers. When you start messing with that you need to know what you're doing, or else, yes throwing coilovers on your car can negatively impact performance.

I am not saying that better performance can't be had by using coilovers and properly tuning your setup, but it is much harder to throw a set of coilovers at an already great car like the m3 than a car intended to be an econobox like a honda civic. cars like that have nowhere to go but up. Not so with the M3.

Another factor to consider is the tradeoff between an agressive, better handling track setup and one that provides some degree of comfort on the street. Not everyone wants to be beat to death on street by a super agressive suspension setup.
'06 Honda S2000 #555 TT5
'16 Porsche GT4

Last edited by snowmants; 10-01-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmants View Post
They sure can.

What about maintaining proper suspension geometry? All of the OEM parts are designed to work in concert. A team of BMW Engineers with a multi-million dollar R&D budget put this suspension setup together and fine tuned it at the track with input from professional racing drivers. When you start messing with that you need to know what you're doing, or else, yes throwing coilovers on your car can negatively impact performance.

I am not saying that better performance can't be had by using coilovers and properly tuning your setup, but it is much harder to throw a set of coilovers at an already great car like the m3 than a car intended to be an econobox like a honda civic. cars like that have nowhere to go but up. Not so with the M3.

Another factor to consider is the tradeoff between an agressive, better handling track setup and one that provides some degree of comfort on the street. Not everyone wants to be beat to death on street by a super agressive suspension setup.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0