BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #45
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Unless you are running a full catless exhaust system there is 0 need for a custom tune. The engine management system in this car eliminates the need for custom tuning it actually wont let you custom tune it like the old days. With multiple input signals this engine management system calculates corrections on its own, you simply tell it what AFR targets you want and it will execute the corrections to achieve it. Where you can gain a little power on this stock motor is by setting ideal timing / AFR targets, adjusting the cylinder noise levels and adjusting VANOS controls. These targets are the same for ALL stock cars. How a motor was broken in or how it was put together makes no difference.

When you run a full catless exhaust you can set custom targets to take advantage of the less restrictive exhaust and remap the VANOS control to correct for overlapping due to loss of back pressure. This is done by collecting data on the exhaust system with several dyno runs, comparing them to the original baseline and making corrections based on how that particular design is affecting performance and where there is room for improvement. This process when done correctly takes time.
Well I agree to an extent makes no sense to try to get a custom tune on a stock car to me thats a waste but if you're going all out then things change and imo requires a custom tune. All of my previous experience has proven this since I had a catless system installed as well as pulley,airfilter etc. It made a huge difference for me and a few other people I know but thats just the way it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #46
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Well I agree to an extent makes no sense to try to get a custom tune on a stock car to me thats a waste but if you're going all out then things change and imo requires a custom tune. All of my previous experience has proven this since I had a catless system installed as well as pulley,airfilter etc. It made a huge difference for me and a few other people I know but thats just the way it goes.
Correct

If you are running a full catless exhaust system you should benefit from a proper custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #47
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
All I was really looking for in a custom tune was a nice 13:1 air fuel ratio which is what I got. An off the shelf tune probably won't have as flat a line as my car did as you have to assume how much fuel the car will want for the mods the car has. Even if all the VANOS and other things are left the same for an OTS and custom the air fuel tuning is worth it. I can't wait to see the results of the Houston Powerchip group custom tuning session.
KT,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review of your AA custom dyno tune. I look forward to posting my results after the group Powerchip custom tune in Houston on 11/13.

Before the custom tune, I’ll be dynoing my car (currently stock) on a Dynojet. After installing Fabspeed x-pipe w/HFC, RDSport Exhaust and AA pulley I’ll dyno my car again on the same Dynojet. The last Dynojet pull will be after the custom Powerchip tune.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #48
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Correct

If you are running a full catless exhaust system you should benefit from a proper custom tune.
Would you say that if you are running a full catless, you should have a custom tune to be safe? In other words, will the stock engine management keep things "safe" from an AFR standpoint with a full catless setup? What about other setups that have high flow cats?

I noticed that most of the downpipe-back exhaust manufacturers don't post AFR graphs, which is why I ask. There's also a lot of unsubstantiated claims about hiccups at certain RPMs with certain setups, loss of low end torque, etc.

Glad you decided to chime in!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #49
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
KT,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review of your AA custom dyno tune. I look forward to posting my results after the group Powerchip custom tune in Houston on 11/13.

Before the custom tune, I’ll be dynoing my car (currently stock) on a Dynojet. After installing Fabspeed x-pipe w/HFC, RDSport Exhaust and AA pulley I’ll dyno my car again on the same Dynojet. The last Dynojet pull will be after the custom Powerchip tune.

Cheers!
This will be excellent! Please post the AFR curve as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #50
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Just FYI, Tut and I dyno'd on the same day for his baseline run on the Dynojet, and our numbers were very similar. Our peak runs were separated by 5whp which can probably be attributed to my AA exhaust. Like Tut said, dyno's are much better when used as tuning tools, then for peak number comparisons
      10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #51
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

In my experience a mustang dyno reads about 50 horsepower less than a dynojet. But that was only on my Procharged Camaro. Either way I am subscribed to this thread.
      10-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #52
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
KT,

Cheers!
This tuning event should be like the bench mark or the proof in the pudding on all custom tunes because you are going to see a combo of all the different exhaust mufflers out there, all the X-pipes, HFC, catless pipes, pulley's, and filters at work. We will get to see who's mods and combo's are really putting out the best numbers. So I guess we could say 13 Nov. is like the big D-Day in custom tunes

Powerchip better be on their A game because the M3post World will be "Watching"

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 10-30-2009 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^ You betchya!

(You and your funny ways SHADY )
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #54
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
^ You betchya!

(You and your funny ways SHADY )

Hey I can't help it Nawaaz being over here deployed in Iraq for a year makes me do anything to keep myself from going insain

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #55
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

I would not tune my m3.. I believe in a pulley and air filter,x pipe with 200 cel cat's. What ever the stock computer calibrate's is what it is.. Maybe dinan tune if thay warranty it. I don't want a kaboooommmmm.. jmo.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #56
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

If you don't want a kaboom then you should leave your car stock. jmo.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #57
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
+1....optimizing timing and AFR actually make the car safer (if you've gone catless or added HFC's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
If you don't want a kaboom then you should leave your car stock. jmo.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #58
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
I would not tune my m3.. I believe in a pulley and air filter,x pipe with 200 cel cat's. What ever the stock computer calibrate's is what it is.. Maybe dinan tune if thay warranty it. I don't want a kaboooommmmm.. jmo.
It specifically states in Dinan warranty, not to use with other brand aftermarket parts. So you better use all Dinan parts, if you want the warranty to be valid.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #59
NJRBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 alpine/fox

King Tut, I also went with RPI exhaust and love it. I considered AA but did not care for the look from the rear (chambers), but want to get there tune. Did you feel it is worth the investment for the tune? I live in the country so I do not wake up neighbors. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #60
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

I feel that the price of the custom dyno tune was well worth it. Just send a PM to Omar and get an appointment since you are in Florida. That 20 hp was the cheapest 20 hp I picked up.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #61
PIXLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M3

For real numbers go to a Dyno Jet and ask for the correction factor to be set at SAE Smoothing 5. That is an industry standard for reading power. The Mustang and Dyno Dynamics are tuning tools and are the best for that purpose.

Congrats on the 20HP
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #62
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

All numbers are real numbers. I do agree that the SAE corrected Dynojet numbers have become the defacto standard for comparison. That is what I will be doing later this month on the same dyno that I already dynoed at when the car was bone stock.
Appreciate 0