BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

EXXEL Distributions

08-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

ALMS at Road America this weekend

Anybody headed to Elkhart Lake this weekend and gonna be in the BMW Corral? I have never watched a race there, but should be good.... WOT coming out of C14 on to the straight! What's your favorite vantage point there?
      08-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Surprised you got no replies, but I'm in (coming, and will be in the corral). I will likely be parked next to a bronze/gold X5 (owned by a friend). I should be there Friday through Sunday. The corral's view (overlooking 14) is okay, though not necessarily my favorite. We did see a pretty spectacular crash of Melanie Snow in the Porsche Cup race last year there, though. I like watching turn 5 a lot, and Canada Corner (12) is also good, though it's a bit far to walk to. One of the great things about Road America is it's easy to walk around and watch different turns (though some of the distances can be a bit far), so take the opportunity to observe from different vantage points. You can PM me if you have other questions.
      08-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I'll be there as well. Probably get there in the 10:30-11:00 AM range, in time to see the cars up close in the BMW tent (CCA perk).

Not sure how maniacal you are about your car, but I won't be parking in the corral again this year, rather just outside it. When the cars shift coming out of 14 (they go through about 3 gears heading up the hill) they kick up a cloud of fine, sand-like dust that settles over the cars parked in the corral. I had my top down last year and about half way through the race realized every surface (seats/dash/floor/inside/outside/everywhere) was covered in it. Was my first time, and also saw some other BMWs parked outside the corral, didn't understand why when I got there - knew why when I left, ha.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I wish I was going. I might try and go to Petit though.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
uwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Leaving in the morning. 6am. Ill be in the corral. 4.5 hour drive, I'm not worried about dirt.
Appreciate 0