BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Highflyr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

Question Bought a new Dell, Have a Question.

So I just bought a new Dell Studio 1535 laptop off of Ebay. Although I havn't gotten it yet I'm already looking to upgrade it. What I was wondering is if eaither the Facial Recongition or Finger Print scanner can be added after the laptop has been built. I figure the Facial Recongition is just a matter of software since it uses the integrated webcam. I'm actually more interested in the finger print scanner and wonder how hard it would be to install. Anyone know if I can do eaither? Thanks

Wes
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Not sure about the facial recognition but it's pretty simple to add a finger print scanner. They're usually attached via USB dongle.
The problem is that not all the drivers will enable the scanner before log in. Which makes the scanner somewhat useless if you're using it for identity verification during sign on.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyr View Post
So I just bought a new Dell Studio 1535 laptop off of Ebay. Although I havn't gotten it yet I'm already looking to upgrade it. What I was wondering is if eaither the Facial Recongition or Finger Print scanner can be added after the laptop has been built. I figure the Facial Recongition is just a matter of software since it uses the integrated webcam. I'm actually more interested in the finger print scanner and wonder how hard it would be to install. Anyone know if I can do eaither? Thanks

Wes
You wouldn't be able to install an oem internal finger scanner. It would require you to cut out part of the casing, etc. But you can get a peripheral finger scanner like mentioned in the post above.
      03-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

The finger scanner is the cutout slot right below the arrow keys.

03-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Highflyr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

I'm ok with cutting. I'd probably order up a spare cover to chop up. Only problem I'm having is that no one sells the reader.
Appreciate 0