BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

11-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
theanhdy
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Overnight street parking?

My car has always been parked inside a two car garage by itself every night since it was purchased. I have to move into an apartment without secure parking because my fiance likes the floor plan of this complex. I've expressed my concerns about the parking situation but she thinks I'm over reacting. Do you park your BMW on the street overnight where you live?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Hell no. I live in an apartment, but I made sure that there was off street garage parking for my and my girl friend's cars. Let someone else get their bumpers mashed by parallel parkers and side view mirrors knocked off by people driving by.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

No thanks. Say good bye to your bumpers.

I've got covered parking in my apt. complex. Never would I leave my car parallel parked on the street for the duration of its life. I've parallel parked it a few times. At least 2 of those times I got nice scratches on my bumper from assclowns.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

No choice here. I let my wife use our spot so she doesn't have to bother with parallel parking when she gets home. I worry only when I have a loaner (which is quite often). I like my car, but it's just a car. Left my place (walking) to get beer tonight and found a Maser parallel parked in front of me. That's just the way it is out here. When I go to trade my car in, it'll get a respray on the bumpers if necessary. Oh well. There are far more important things in life than some stupid POS car anyway.

When you live in a big city, you just have to accept that kind of shit is going to happen. There aren't any available garages around me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
No choice here. I let my wife use our spot so she doesn't have to bother with parallel parking when she gets home. I worry only when I have a loaner (which is quite often). I like my car, but it's just a car. Left my place (walking) to get beer tonight and found a Maser parallel parked in front of me. That's just the way it is out here. When I go to trade my car in, it'll get a respray on the bumpers if necessary. Oh well. There are far more important things in life than some stupid POS car anyway.

When you live in a big city, you just have to accept that kind of shit is going to happen. There aren't any available garages around me anyway.

I was trying to find the humor part of this post to justify its place in the "Lighter Side" section and was finally able to locate it ...but not mentioned by OP though
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
I was trying to find the humor part of this post to justify its place in the "Lighter Side" section and was finally able to locate it ...but not mentioned by OP though
Yeah there's nothing worse than playing marshaller at the end of a long day when it's ice cold outside. I figure it's better to just let her have the designated spot.

For some reason, I've never had issues with parallel parking, and I really don't baby my car like I used to with my E36 M3, so it's really a no-brainer for me. I love my wife, but watching (or helping) her try to parallel park can actually be quite excrutiating, especially when it starts to freeze up here in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
ive had two cars totaled from street parking (my beaters) and also my ex-gf first car was also totaled...luckily they were beaters but i'd never park my BMW on the street
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

one time i parked my car on the street and three weeks later my uncles brothers nephews roommate got herpes
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
one time i parked my car on the street and three weeks later my uncles brothers nephews roommate got herpes
funny...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
theanhdy
Major
Rep

Cool I've always wanted herpes
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
evoalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 135i SOLD | '07 335i SOLD

Quote:
Almost as bad as gonorrhea.

Photography portfolio -> AlexStone.co | | Instagram @evoalex
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Park on the street with a car cover?

I don't know if that would work. It's either that or you guys move to another apartment complex that has your own parking space.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
The last time I laughed that hard, I fell off my Dinosaur.
      02-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
thesag3
"I think you like your car more than you like me."
United_States
Rep
Drives: blue active hybrid 3

Garage List
2008 335i e92  [0.00]
It's not the greatest thing, but not the worst either. Kinda have to accept it and get over it if you don't have a garage. My car got keyed on the second night I had it. Not to mention a couple scratches on the rear bumper.

-bumper bully ftw-

I try to park behind a hydrant as much as I can. That way, no one can park in front of me, and behind me I have the FUGLY B.B. protecting my butt.

One time, at around 3AM, I was just street/people watching and out of nowhere, these drunk teens stumbled down the block and furiously front kicked a passenger-side mirror clean off a car. As furious as I was, I was extremely impressed by the form of his kick, especially considering his lowered dexterity at the time of intoxication lol. And this is in a pretty decent neighborhood.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesag3 View Post
It's not the greatest thing, but not the worst either. Kinda have to accept it and get over it if you don't have a garage. My car got keyed on the second night I had it. Not to mention a couple scratches on the rear bumper.

-bumper bully ftw-

I try to park behind a hydrant as much as I can. That way, no one can park in front of me, and behind me I have the FUGLY B.B. protecting my butt.

One time, at around 3AM, I was just street/people watching and out of nowhere, these drunk teens stumbled down the block and furiously front kicked a passenger-side mirror clean off a car. As furious as I was, I was extremely impressed by the form of his kick, especially considering his lowered dexterity at the time of intoxication lol. And this is in a pretty decent neighborhood.

wow bumper buddy is freaking ugly. I feel like that'd draw more attention to your car.

FWIW I parked my 135 for a year on city streets every day, never had a problem, and now my mustang.
I think it depends more on the WHERE.. when i would visit my girlfriend in my saturn in a different are of the city, it'd never fail to get a new scratch every day or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
wow bumper buddy is freaking ugly. I feel like that'd draw more attention to your car.

FWIW I parked my 135 for a year on city streets every day, never had a problem, and now my mustang.
I think it depends more on the WHERE.. when i would visit my girlfriend in my saturn in a different are of the city, it'd never fail to get a new scratch every day or two.
Don't worry about it too much, Saturns are strong. 690K miles strong
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Don't worry about it too much, Saturns are strong. 690K miles strong
strong plastic indeed living in the city does give you an appreciation for the plastic car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
theanhdy
Major
Rep

I sold my 135i before xmas, bought an is350 a few weeks ago. So far so good with street parking.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5

I hate parking outside overnight, I have to parallel park it every time I stay at my girlfriend's apartment. I'm always afraid of coming out and seeing a window smashed in or a Pontiac Gradn Prix with streaks of other car's paint parked a little too close.
My bimmer gets its own garage at my house.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

For a 135i, you should be fine. Now if it was a 1M, than I'd be a bit worried about it being stolen, vandalized, etc
Appreciate 0