BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
.:Reflex
Rep
Drives:

Official Volkswagen R32 Owners Thread

I am curious to find out how many Volkswagen R32 owners like myself are considering a switch to the 1-Series. So if you own an R32 please post up here: why you are switching and what, if anything, you might miss about the .:R.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I have a GTI and I am considering the switch...but probably not for another year or 2. I cant say for sure because I havent seen it in person or driven the 135i yet but I dont anticipate missing much about my GTI.

I love my GTI...its def the best car in its price range. But the BMW is a nice step up IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I *had* a 2007 GLI... sold it for the 135 in October though.
      02-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

:thumbup:

several other R owners have posted in previous comparison threads.

for myself, i have loved the R immensely. excellent handling (despite a terrible oem suspension), stupendous braking, and out-of-the-box track capability that makes you feel like a hero. it has classic styling, seats that really mean business, and a satisfyingly chunky steering wheel.

what am i after with the 135i? a big performance delta for not much more money. a lighter front end. learning a little finesse with the throttle on the track. hopefully, with six-pot calipers and an oil cooler, it will be as track-capable as the R.

i really believe that bmw is going to leapfrog lower-displacement competitors. making 380-400hp from a piggyback and exhaust is amazing: no need for big, laggy turbos to make real power.

just like the R, the 135i will be one for the ages. being a normal-volume car, i can't expect it to hold its value as well as the R, but you can't have everything.

my son really likes my R-- i'll probably keep it for when he turns sixteen (as long as he takes a bunch of driving lessons). that way, i can have both!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Poaching here, since I don't have an R32. But I'd love to have the excuse of a son approaching 16 so I could keep my '05 Mini MCS along with the 135. I've tried persuading my wife that the Mini could be for the dog, a conspicuously clever Puli, but she says that if he hasn't learned to drive by age twelve, he's probably too old to learn. We all live in Trade-off City.

135 i ordered for February production: SGM, black leatherette, grey poplar, ZSP.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
I own both a new MkV R32 that my girlfriend uses, and I ordered a 135i for myself in manual. As for the new R, absolutely great car, comfortable, usably fast, handles well with some bad terminal understeer at times. But as a car to live with every single day, can't beat it with anything. I even had an Audi RS4 for a bit that i bought used at Carmax, but it didn't measure up to how much i enjoyed the new R32 for everyday use. For an everyday car, no way the 135i will be better than it. But I enjoying driving manual, and its technically my girl's car (we both use it often though), so i'm also getting a 135i. If i didn't need to depend on both cars everyday, i'd be getting a e92 M3 (I originally had the 2nd slot at my dealership for MSRP) instead of the 135i. However, I do think a 135i will be immensely better everyday than an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I had an 04 R32 and traded it in two years ago then eased a 06 A4. Only reason I got rid of the R32 was because after 5 weeks of ownership I had an accident that incurred 12K damage. Drove the car for two years and it never felt right. I even modded the hell out of the car hoping it would make me feel better! I leased the A4 with anticipation of buying the MKV R32 but since there is no 6spd manual option I have decided to join the dark side and buy a BMW. Boo to VW! This will be my first RWD car. I am sad to be leaving the VAG family but am looking forward to trying something new. Too bad Audi/VW couldn't come out with a product to keep me in the family. I do miss that bad ass stock exhaust my R32 had. This waiting brings me back to 2003 right before the R32 came out. I was constantly on the vortex like I am today on 1addicts!

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

was one of the original r32 owners. I still love the R, but I feel now is the time to get out. The car is starting to depreciate like a normal car and the fact that I can still get !$20k for that car after 4 years tells me its time. It's great though, had it on the track almost exactly a year ago for the VW R32 trackday in Alabama, and learned so much. Car handles great, once I got rid of the stock suspension. But the 135 is such a step up, obviously Im not alone, b/c there are a lot of us here. I'll miss the R, but its time to move on. And its nice to get back to my roots. My first car was an 1984 318i and the sad thing is I have missed that care a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I own both a new MkV R32 that my girlfriend uses, and I ordered a 135i for myself in manual. As for the new R, absolutely great car, comfortable, usably fast, handles well with some bad terminal understeer at times. But as a car to live with every single day, can't beat it with anything. I even had an Audi RS4 for a bit that i bought used at Carmax, but it didn't measure up to how much i enjoyed the new R32 for everyday use. For an everyday car, no way the 135i will be better than it. But I enjoying driving manual, and its technically my girl's car (we both use it often though), so i'm also getting a 135i. If i didn't need to depend on both cars everyday, i'd be getting a e92 M3 (I originally had the 2nd slot at my dealership for MSRP) instead of the 135i. However, I do think a 135i will be immensely better everyday than an M3.
I love my R32 but for a daily driver it bothers me that I have to fold down the rear seats to get a golfbag to fit (yes golfing has kept me from buying the TST stress brace for it) and the 135i is supposed to fit 2 in the trunk. My only concern is that the sport seats in the 135i will not measure up to those in the MKIV R32. Is Jack Regan still on the forums? I was hoping he could answer that.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Reflex, the new R is much more comfortable and roomy then the MkIV, which was like a mini S4 with some added hardcore craziness. No way the MkV is a better sports car then the MkIV, but as a sporty GT, its fantastic. Faster, better grip, and better handling than a Mercedes C350 and a BMW 328xi for much cheaper, and surprisingly holds its own in luxury features compared to both. Plus it is unassuming, being just a VW Hatchback. Seriously, you should take it for a test drive, they are just rotting on VW lots around the country because its tough to sell a 35,430 hatchback in america. But to say its an all-around great car is dead accurate.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #11
Rep
Drives:

I forgot to mention that I used to work for Volkswagen. I have lots of seat time in all the 2007/2008 models including the MKV R32. The MKV is bigger only slightly wider and still does not solve the glof issue. The chassis is amazing and is much stiffer than the MKIV. Glad to hear you are loving yours. Plus you have the #'s on your steering wheel. I am still bitter about that one!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I have a MkV GTI that has had the ECU reflashed. I am getting rid of that car for the 135i as the Bimmer will have the same ability to be chipped, but we are starting from a much better base line. I can't wait. The 135i will also see much more track action that the Golf didn't due to it's open diff-FWD architecture. In fact I may strip the 135i out over time to make it a dedicated track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #13
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
:thumbup:

several other R owners have posted in previous comparison threads.

for myself, i have loved the R immensely. excellent handling (despite a terrible oem suspension), stupendous braking, and out-of-the-box track capability that makes you feel like a hero. it has classic styling, seats that really mean business, and a satisfyingly chunky steering wheel.

what am i after with the 135i? a big performance delta for not much more money. a lighter front end. learning a little finesse with the throttle on the track. hopefully, with six-pot calipers and an oil cooler, it will be as track-capable as the R.

i really believe that bmw is going to leapfrog lower-displacement competitors. making 380-400hp from a piggyback and exhaust is amazing: no need for big, laggy turbos to make real power.

just like the R, the 135i will be one for the ages. being a normal-volume car, i can't expect it to hold its value as well as the R, but you can't have everything.

my son really likes my R-- i'll probably keep it for when he turns sixteen (as long as he takes a bunch of driving lessons). that way, i can have both!:thumbup:
The 1 series is a LIMITED production car... only 20k will be made in 2008.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Reflex View Post
I love my R32 but for a daily driver it bothers me that I have to fold down the rear seats to get a golfbag to fit (yes golfing has kept me from buying the TST stress brace for it) and the 135i is supposed to fit 2 in the trunk. My only concern is that the sport seats in the 135i will not measure up to those in the MKIV R32. Is Jack Regan still on the forums? I was hoping he could answer that.
Same boat here as well. Pain in the ass to get golf clubs in the back. Bascially have to fold down a seat. As good as the Koenigs are in the R32, I don't think they are fabulous. The headrests are unusable. The bolsters are nice when you get into them, but holding your breath everytime someone gets into one of your seats hoping they don't silde their butt on the bolster gets old. The sports seats in the BMW are very nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

In less than two weeks we'll be driving the 128i against the current R32. It seems like a valid comparison. The R32 has a power and traction advantage, but I suspect the 128i has the upper hand in actual handling. We'll see.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining us, we'll be driving the 135i and the R32 from Monterey to Santa Monica on the PCH on February 15th. More details of that drive are HERE

Just out of curiosity, any VWvortex members in this thread?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Yup, part of the Tex...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Reflex View Post
That's weird, I was able to fit two sets of clubs in the back of my GTi without folding down the seats. I would take out the woods and lay them on the floor behind the front seats.

And I sold my 20th A.E. on Monday.

PS- Also on vortex.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I had one of the first 04 R32's.

The insurance on it was the same as GTI's, at least when I had it, so that was awesome (cheap). Power was nice, great highway cruiser, plenty of low-end torque available for around the town driving. Interior nice, but all black. Seats comfortable, but mine squeeked incessantly, to the point of driving me nuts. Im 6'2 1/2", 200 lbs and I fit well into them. But, they, like any snug leather seat, will cause your back to perspire terribly, espescially when it's hot out. And I hate driving with A/C unless necessary. So, basically if i drove anywhere, back of shirt was damp. There were some cloth seats made though. Seats heated for winter.

Interior, full electronic gadgetry. AWD/haldex worked well, car performed awesome in winter (tank). Gearbox was a slot machine, desperately needed short shifter. Lots of engine movement, desperately needed stiffer durometer engine mounts/dogbone mount. Great exhaust note. Desperately needed Big rear sway. Stock tires had sidewall bubble issues. Brakes awesome. Power mods are typical N/A options, basically: CAI, exhaust, engine managment. VF enginnering supercharger kit best 'big power' option imho.

I got an 06 sti, and made money on it when I traded it in, b/c they held their value so well... Should've sold it privately.

had 2 GTI's before R32

On 'tex since 2000

Did you not see this ???
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

First of all, long time lurker first time poster here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
In less than two weeks we'll be driving the 128i against the current R32. It seems like a valid comparison. The R32 has a power and traction advantage, but I suspect the 128i has the upper hand in actual handling. We'll see.
I think you are in for a surprise on the handling bit. I have a MKV R32 (#923 in Deep blue pearl) and it handles as well, if not better, than my 6sp manual ZHP. The R32 has the soul of a BMW, and its handling is subliminal. Yeah, a little body roll is present, but it's easy to modulate using the throttle, brakes and DSG.

And the exhaust note sings an aria when downshifting, or reaching for WOT.

If I do opt to get a 135 (and that's a big 'if' because it will have to throttle the ZHP, which will be no easy task), the R32 is not going anywhere. The 135 simply cannot supplant it as a daily driver in four seasons venue's.

In that regard the R32 is the perfect daily driver for my situation. It has the perfect blend of looks, luxury and performance and in the 'hot hatch' segment it has no peers in NA imho.

The 135 is still a little suspect to me in both the exterior and interior appearance categories. In its current guise there's no way it's better than the E46 ZHP in either of those categories.

But pulling 30% more ponies with massive brakes has a way of overcoming a lot of skepticism.

Which has me excited about putting it through some paces when it arrives in March.

If I pull the trigger I would wait until ED is available at the 'normal' $1k over invoice price, and in the meantime hope and pray that Le Mans blue is somehow miraculously offered on the stock palette.
Quote:
Also, if anyone is interested in joining us, we'll be driving the 135i and the R32 from Monterey to Santa Monica on the PCH on February 15th. More details of that drive are HERE
Would love to join you as Monterey is where I was born and razed (sic). But I look forward to your analysis and comparison re: the R32 and einzer reihe.

Quote:
:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

A3 3.2 here cousin to the R32. Soon to be sold for a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Member of the Tex here as well. I think thats a great comparison! Can't wait to see the results.

Another reason why I'm ready to get out of the VW thing. I'm so sick of dealing with dealers that have such horrible support. Anytime you bring your car in for service, you basically have to prove that it should be fixed under warranty! I'm 30 years old, and I have a good job, and I don't look like a scoundrel/punk kid. So VW treat me with some respect.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

A nice advantage of switching over to the BMW is the maintenance that is included. I pay over $100 at my deal for an oil change and tire rotation for my GTI.
Appreciate 0