BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #67
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I'd go with the GS. Actually, a good chance that is my next car--within the next 2 years before the BMW warranty expires on my Z4M. I have to say the Vette does not feel as precise as the E9X M3 though. But it is raw and a ton of fun (somewhat different kind of fun). I've driven one, but have not owned one, so that may be part of the attraction. I'm waiting to see what the end of the year events will bring in December.
      05-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #68
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

it is such a personal taste thing really. i owned my E92 M3 already and got to drive a 09 ZO6 and while the Z is a monster and alot faster then my M i was so happy that i bought my M. the car is my DD and for me i just love my M even though it may be slower. i think it looks better and is a head turner. the vettes just never did it for me, feel like there a dime a dozen on the road, even though there are alot of M's out there

plus the ride in the M is much nicer for me and interior noise is alot better.

like i said it is personal taste but people forget how amazing the M really is. for me it was the best do it all car and do it all quite well i might add. i have added a couple mods and the midpipe made it like a new car with the added power and the sound forget it sounds so amazing and exotic now.

good luck in your choice, both nice cars but so different in there own way. for the list of stuff you wrote that it had to have to meet your check list in my op the M3 fit your list better then the Vette but that is just my op

you also made a good point about chance to own the last of the NA M3's which it will be. the vettes are not going anywhere and they will likely be the same few years from now just with more power. while the M will be a completly different car with a turbo. i can tell you this there is nothing like revving through the gears on this car to 8600. the car is just so fun to drive i never want to get out of it, and that was the main reason i made it my daily. i had a E46 M first then a E39 M5 and i missed the 2 door high revving engine so i went back to a M3 after having my S2 beast M5 which was fun but not the same as the M3.

good luck and post up pics of whatever one you get, be safe and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #69
Spitfire3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '10 E90

I had an 09 Shelby GT500, shopped the C6 Z06 and GS before deciding on the M3. I REALLY wanted to like the Corvette. On paper it is tough to beat the performance per dollar, the great mileage, and the looks. I just didn't love them when I drove them. I did however love the M3, and appreciate that it isn't as ostentatious as the Corvette.

That was my decision, yours may differ. The point is- you should know once you drive them which one works for you.
I just saw a beautiful jet stream blue grand sport at Laguna Seca last weekend and felt a tinge of regret- until I remembered the test drives I did.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #70
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire3D View Post
I had an 09 Shelby GT500, shopped the C6 Z06 and GS before deciding on the M3. I REALLY wanted to like the Corvette. On paper it is tough to beat the performance per dollar, the great mileage, and the looks. I just didn't love them when I drove them. I did however love the M3, and appreciate that it isn't as ostentatious as the Corvette.

That was my decision, yours may differ. The point is- you should know once you drive them which one works for you.
I just saw a beautiful jet stream blue grand sport at Laguna Seca last weekend and felt a tinge of regret- until I remembered the test drives I did.
+1

Couldn't say it better. I wanted to like the Vette, but a test drive on my best friend's 500whp Z06 revealed many aspects I didn't like: it felt big, rode like a skateboard, and even though the interior wasn't as bad as some people say, it looked completely uninspiring and Cobalt-like. Performance was shocking, almost scary, but in the end, I was heart-broken because I wanted to buy a GS. Also, the GM military discounts, altogether with invoice pricing, made my desired 2LT GS with NPP a total steal at $44k
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #71
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I felt the same way when i first test drove them. I just wasn't ready for one yet. But now its a different story. Im ready to 'step up' if you will.

I've decided to go with the GS.
      05-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #72
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
I felt the same way when i first test drove them. I just wasn't ready for one yet. But now its a different story. Im ready to 'step up' if you will.

I've decided to go with the GS.
Good for you now get the fastest color BLACK
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #73
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Don't know if you considered the CTS-V.
It is a MONSTER and it is easy to drive daily and has the space. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.
It is bigger than the cars you are considering, but I love it so far...
      05-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #74
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
Good for you now get the fastest color BLACK
Yup black 2lt GS. Hopefully picking it up in 2 weeks!!

CTS-V is out, I want a pure sports car this time. It's the same reason the M3 is out.
      05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #75
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

CTS-V is out, I want a pure sports car this time. It's the same reason the M3 is out.
Cool, see you on Corvetteforums.com
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #76
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:

Sounds like you are going through the same process as me. I'm not pulling the trigger until Dec or Jan but I am having the same debates with myself......at the end of the day, I want a true sportscar again. As much as I like my 335, the styling just doesn't do it for me anymore...nor does the M3.

Saw a torch red GS today and it looked fantastic.

Best of luck with yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #77
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8t View Post
In your opinion.

To the OP, I DD my Z and love it. I rarely run into anything the street that can even come close to the straight line performance of my car, much less something that can lose me through some turns. I am 27, not 47, so give me the bone jarring ride and road noise. It is completely worth it when I hit my HPDE's and compete for FTD on any given day with street tires.
I agree, not to mention one does get a lot of positive attention in the Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #78
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
Really, I dont think they look to bad.

yes does looks nice, but they could have used some nice leather on them, instead of just plastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #79
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:

Well, the Vette looks like a pure sports car, and the M3 not. However, the Vette I test drove didn't feel like a pure sports car, but the M3 did.

Anyways, enjoy your GS! I was so close to pull the trigger on one!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #80
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Well its really semantics right. To me a pure sports car is a 2 seat, front engine, rear drive car. The vette has the superior power, grip, brakes, and suspension IMO. The M3 definitely feels more agile and precise. I will miss that for sure.
      06-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #81
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

I went back and test drove the Grand Sport again and I am now really starting to lean towards the Corvette as well. I also test drove an '07 Z06 and I found that car to be more like the Corvettes of old: vague steering, terrible ride, clutch that will give your leg a workout.

The Grand Sport was a joy to drive in comparison. GM really listened to the auto magazines I think.

I'm just frustrated that BMW has put me into this situation. The M3 is a no brainer for me if it weren't for its engine. 420hp/295 ft.lb/ 18 mixed mpg? That nearly kills it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #82
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
I went back and test drove the Grand Sport again and I am now really starting to lean towards the Corvette as well. I also test drove an '07 Z06 and I found that car to be more like the Corvettes of old: vague steering, terrible ride, clutch that will give your leg a workout.

The Grand Sport was a joy to drive in comparison. GM really listened to the auto magazines I think.

I'm just frustrated that BMW has put me into this situation. The M3 is a no brainer for me if it weren't for its engine. 420hp/295 ft.lb/ 18 mixed mpg? That nearly kills it for me.
The engine is the M3s best attribute. If you think the engine sucks, then the M3 is definitely not for you. However, I don't think I have ever heard anyone who has actually driven e9X m3 complain about the engine and that includes professional drivers and testers with more driving experience than me, you and half of this forum combined. I do hear some complain about torque but those who do, do not understand how the M3 makes power (I'm sure you can find a few good threads detailing this).

MPG is not the best but if you are considering any car in this category, then MPG is not a primary factor. If MPG is a primary factor for you, then you may want to take a look at an Elise Exige. With the Exige you get the great MPG, exotic look and amazing performance around a track.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #83
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

I don't understand why people keep saying gas mileage doesn't matter. Ofcourse it matters! It matters no matter what you drive. It matters even more when you consider the smaller gas tank in the M3. There is nothing wrong with being reasonably fuel efficient, NOT paying a gas guzzler tax, and getting decent range between fillups. That is NOT too much to ask of engineers.
      06-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #84
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post

You may have felt that way because they made some changes to the steering for the 2008+ models. I don't know what other changes were made.

Do you want a real sports car or the closest practical thing to one?

Each car has its upside and downside but i think that question is what sealed the deal for me.
      06-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #85
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Quote:
You may have felt that way because they made some changes to the steering for the 2008+ models. I don't know what other changes were made.

Do you want a real sports car or the closest practical thing to one?

Each car has its upside and downside but i think that question is what sealed the deal for me.
Your question is a great one - it almost completely nails it. I wanted something more "sports car-y" than the 335i and just didn't feel that the M3 was the significant step in that direction over my car. But truth be told, 0% 60mo GM financing sealed the deal. I made an offer on a '10 grand sport, hope they go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #86
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Ooooh snap! Have you been to the corvetteforum.com c6 dealership section? I think there is a sponsor dealer in springfield, mo that advertises their cars and prices on there, maybe you should take a look. Im getting mine from MacMulkin in NH.

Here is the link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...inventory.html

Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-09-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #87
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ooooh snap! Have you been to the corvetteforum.com c6 dealership section? I think there is a sponsor dealer in springfield, mo that advertises their cars and prices on there, maybe you should take a look. Im getting mine from MacMulkin in NH.

Here is the link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...inventory.html
+1
Call Wess at Reliable Chevrolet, Sprinfield MO. He has the best prices around period. I flew to SGF to buy my car and drove it to Florida.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #88
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
It's difficult to compare the two. Probably better to compare 2 seat sports cars and 4 seat separatly. My father who is 70 owns a 07 vette, it sits up the road in his winter condo. I get to drive it here and there. I love it, but its very impractical. I wouldn't want it as a daily driver but i know guys who do. As a young single guy, you'll probably be fine with either and it gives you an excuse to not have to drive 3 of your friends anywhere. Park you're vette and jump in their car.

As a daily driver, the M3 is more practical but less stunning in styling than the vette. Tough decision for you indeed.

For me, little choice. Needed a back seat and 4 doors for a baby seat.
Appreciate 0