BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

06-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #23
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I think so! I just got a call from my dealer for a Sept. allocation. The build sheet with prices should be available next week. I am moving forward with it as long as Porsche doesn't hold back any options on the early productions, like Sport Exhaust.

The other stressor for me will be the PDK or 6 speed option. I may stick with a 6 speed on this car.

Keep me posted on what you do.
I will probably have to order soon as well. I am just curious as to how long it will take them before offering X51, supposedly US cars will be able to spec it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I will probably have to order soon as well. I am just curious as to how long it will take them before offering X51, supposedly US cars will be able to spec it.
They may take a few months longer. It wasn't until MY2006 that it was offered on the current 997, right?

As much as I absolutely love the idea of an X51 997(.2)S, I would likely opt for the turbo as the cost would be so high. With that said, X51, PCCB, 20mm suspension and LSD would be quite a car for some time, imo.

I heard that Porsche is supposed to send Sport Auto their fastest version of the 997S soon. That would be great if it had X51.

Will you go with PDK?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
God that interior looks amazing.
except the color sux for a supossed sports car. It is also not the right trannie either. But other than those 2 things your right.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #26
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

I will be well satisfied with a car that can do 0-100km/h in 4.3s and top out at 300km/h, not to mention highly commendable consumption figures. So, X51 is not necessary for me. PDK is a must. I'll stay with the standard PASM with Sports Chrono Plus, and probably the LSD for improved traction in the bends. PCCB is tempting but expensive

Btw, did you guys noticed the S delivers its max HP at a relatively low 6500rpm? Considering the engine produces 101.3HP/L, it seems the power unit is capable of a lot more with some tuning .
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They may take a few months longer. It wasn't until MY2006 that it was offered on the current 997, right?

As much as I absolutely love the idea of an X51 997(.2)S, I would likely opt for the turbo as the cost would be so high. With that said, X51, PCCB, 20mm suspension and LSD would be quite a car for some time, imo.

I heard that Porsche is supposed to send Sport Auto their fastest version of the 997S soon. That would be great if it had X51.

Will you go with PDK?
I absolutely am going with PDK. Like you mentioned, if you spec X51 might as well go for a turbo but you can not get PDK with the turbo and likely will not be able to for a couple years. PDK makes this car most appealing to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
I will be well satisfied with a car that can do 0-100km/h in 4.3s and top out at 300km/h, not to mention highly commendable consumption figures. So, X51 is not necessary for me. PDK is a must. I'll stay with the standard PASM with Sports Chrono Plus, and probably the LSD for improved traction in the bends. PCCB is tempting but expensive

Btw, did you guys noticed the S delivers its max HP at a relatively low 6500rpm? Considering the engine produces 101.3HP/L, it seems the power unit is capable of a lot more with some tuning .
The S and the standard carrera share the same exhaust system this time around. They also integrated the cats into the header. There is some power bottled up in the exhaust system.

X51 to me is relevant because I am not going to wait until the GT3 gets its facelift with PDK. X51 is rumored to add 30 hp, putting the 997S exactly at the GT3's hp level but with the addition of PDK. With the sport suspension, it is like getting a GT3 with PDK early, almost .
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The S and the standard carrera share the same exhaust system this time around. They also integrated the cats into the header. There is some power bottled up in the exhaust system.

X51 to me is relevant because I am not going to wait until the GT3 gets its facelift with PDK. X51 is rumored to add 30 hp, putting the 997S exactly at the GT3's hp level but with the addition of PDK. With the sport suspension, it is like getting a GT3 with PDK early, almost .
The combo that you mentioned will be much more street friendly than the current GT3 is. The same hp and much more torque, at lower rpms. I would expect the torque to reach approximately 325 lb/ft. The car will be as fast as the 996 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely am going with PDK. Like you mentioned, if you spec X51 might as well go for a turbo but you can not get PDK with the turbo and likely will not be able to for a couple years. PDK makes this car most appealing to me.
That is going to be a difficult choice for me. As I have stated I am currently leaning towards the stick. The engine should make nice power everywhere considering it's weight. So, keeping the tach needle in the upper portion of the tach is not as important as cars like a current M car.

Also, as much as I love the technological advantages of these type transmissions, things like launch control and the speed of the shifts are not that important to me. I find the 7 gears more of a deciding factor, but not enough (with this type engine) to compel me to go this route. If I ever ordered a M car, then I most likely would, for the reasons stated above.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #31
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
To what extent does that contradict?

Best regards, south
Misread part of your quote. I thought it said that the mpg was not improved. Sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #32
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The stats for both new transmissions in both models are mighty impressive and considering where the engine is these figures should be easier obtained by would be customers, something I feel most here will agree that won't be the case with the manual M3 and ever possibly with the DCT car too.

I also wait with anticipation to hear what the mags make of the new PDK, I believe it and Audi's version share a lot in common but obviously Porsche will have their tweaks to both the software and it's architecture. I also wonder whether it will follow BMW's views by always start in manual mode, also is it known if Porsche are using paddles or still the buttons on the wheel. Many questions yet to be answered.

Either way this new improved 911 has made great strides in everything instead on it's looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #33
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The stats for both new transmissions in both models are mighty impressive and considering where the engine is these figures should be easier obtained by would be customers, something I feel most here will agree that won't be the case with the manual M3 and ever possibly with the DCT car too.

I also wait with anticipation to hear what the mags make of the new PDK, I believe it and Audi's version share a lot in common but obviously Porsche will have their tweaks to both the software and it's architecture. I also wonder whether it will follow BMW's views by always start in manual mode, also is it known if Porsche are using paddles or still the buttons on the wheel. Many questions yet to be answered.

Either way this new improved 911 has made great strides in everything instead on it's looks.
It is using buttons, I think all questions were answered.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #34
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is using buttons, I think all questions were answered.
Just received my info pack from the dealer, 3yrs since I bought my last Porsche and they are still trying. Anyway I see it the buttons, once again, God knows why they insist in using them as they are not as handly as the paddles in my opinion.

It also states that Porshce are offering a more aggressive shift pattern for track use, don't know what this will be. Maybe something similar to the GTR or even dare I say it the M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #35
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

LOVE that baby shit Tan frickin interior on those P cars!!!!!!!!!

WTF are they thinking? Fing TAN!!!!!!!!!!!! why o why ?

Funny thing they are just getting direct injection,,, 335 already has it,'07.

Also they are getting the start off assist just like the 335i already has,, in '07.

Great catch up job....... 911's are just way way too pricey.

The Cayman is said to get a bump to 315hp,, not sure about DI thou?

On a side note,,, one funky color Porsche has is Macadamion Metalic,, O my its sweet! And thats not a smart azz comment.

Dosnt the Cayman have more luggage/space than a 911?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #36
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
LOVE that baby shit Tan frickin interior on those P cars!!!!!!!!!

WTF are they thinking? Fing TAN!!!!!!!!!!!! why o why ?

Funny thing they are just getting direct injection,,, 335 already has it,'07.

Also they are getting the start off assist just like the 335i already has,, in '07.

Great catch up job....... 911's are just way way too pricey.

The Cayman is said to get a bump to 315hp,, not sure about DI thou?

On a side note,,, one funky color Porsche has is Macadamion Metalic,, O my its sweet! And thats not a smart azz comment.

Dosnt the Cayman have more luggage/space than a 911?

I wasn't aware that the 335 had DI. Anyway, you're complaing about the P car just getting it, while the new M3 still doesn't.

And, who cares about luggage space when buying a pure sports car; look for a Lincoln if you want luggage space.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wasn't aware that the 335 had DI. Anyway, you're complaing about the P car just getting it, while the new M3 still doesn't.

And, who cares about luggage space when buying a pure sports car; look for a Lincoln if you want luggage space.

Maximum revs to currently the problem with DI, Lamborghini P560 is the highest revving DI engine and it's limit is 8000rpm, so if BMW had have wanted to limit the M3's revs to 8000rpm or less then it too could have got DI but when a company such as Porsche at the fore front of engineering excellence then I have to agree with silvrevo that Porsche should have done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #38
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

the new 997s is the only reason why I am hesitant of buying the e92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #39
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Since when has Porsche been at the 'forefront of engineering excellence?' Sure they make good cars, but in the last fifteen years what significant technologies has Porsche pioneered? Until the new tranny they were using an ancient 5 speed auto. Porsche is damn lucky they get to share so much VW R&D and become the most profitable car company in the world. That happens by not spending money on research, design, or engineering. It comes from making constantly similar cars, charging for every option, and raiding VW's corporate parts bin. They only really produce two models anyway, the 911 and Boxter/Cayman. Oh, and reaping the benefits of the Touraeg by making the Cayenne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Maximum revs to currently the problem with DI, Lamborghini P560 is the highest revving DI engine and it's limit is 8000rpm, so if BMW had have wanted to limit the M3's revs to 8000rpm or less then it too could have got DI but when a company such as Porsche at the fore front of engineering excellence then I have to agree with silvrevo that Porsche should have done it sooner.

Last edited by nd54; 06-27-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #40
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Tan interior ... meh. Standard, the Porsches have lots of plastic. It looks cheap too. But when you put in leather it's gorgeous and expensive. If you think BMW nickels and dimes you for options, go take a look a Porsche.

Even if PDK offers better performance I don't think I'd take it. Porsche's are the sweetest shifting cars I've ever driven. Might I even say sublime? Plus, PDK uses buttons on steering wheel. WTF? I had paddles with SMG and it was the most natural thing to use. But buttons ... just eww.

The performance boost coming is great to hear. I also expect a price boost. A nicely outfitted S with X51 is what I'd like to get but will likely be big bucks. If the price were closer to an M3 it would be a no brainer for me. Fortunately, you get pretty much all of the thrill of a Porsche with the M3 yet with more practicality (comfort and luxury too) at less cost. But if I could get a really sweet deal on a 997S ...
      06-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Another car that I have zero interest in..... Boy Porsche really innovated here.
      06-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #42
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Another car that I have zero interest in..... Boy Porsche really innovated here.
Well, to each his own. Personally I feel Porsche's are a thrill to drive. And dare I say, the 997S is a tad nicer at this than the M3. Of course it's subjective. Cheers.
      06-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #43
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
Since when has Porsche been at the 'forefront of engineering excellence?' Sure they make good cars, but in the last fifteen years what significant technologies has Porsche pioneered? Until the new tranny they were using an ancient 5 speed auto. Porsche is damn lucky they get to share so much VW R&D and become the most profitable car company in the world. That happens by not spending money on research, design, or engineering. It comes from making constantly similar cars, charging for every option, and raiding VW's corporate parts bin. They only really produce two models anyway, the 911 and Boxter/Cayman. Oh, and reaping the benefits of the Touraeg by making the Cayenne.
You tell me nd? Heard of the the old 3.6 litre flat six now making 415 bhb in one of those VW knock off Porsches, the GT3. Thank goodness they had the VW parts bin for that. Now how large is the M3's motor making similar power? yes, a larger cubic displacement than the VW 3.6 litre.

New tech does not necessarily equate to better. Porsche's "old tech" steering systems and Honda's archaic manual trannies will put any other manufactures "advanced" systems to shame.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

I don't remember saying the M3's engine was better than the GT3's, no need to take it so personally, just because they have one engine that is 0.4L smaller and makes the same amount of power doesn't mean Porsche is an engineering marvel. Keep in mind that the GT3 base price is twice as much as the M3.
Appreciate 0