BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #89
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
LOL absolutely not. There is nothing snob about calling the cards. Sure, BMW marketing is encouraging the bluff and that m235 owner was their ideal customer.
Calling me snob for stating facts makes you a douchebag.

Never. It may have been misconstrued as such by non official english publishing sources (which is exactly what bmw marketing wanted). If you had read German articles it was clearly not released as an M car. They called it "Das 1er M Coupé" =The 1 Series M Coupe. The 1 digit coming first makes it clear it is a 1 series not an M motorsport vehicle. The German press went further to say: " it does not have the M gene, lacks in performance and is not supple enough".

.. and i didn't hate my razor blade when i shaved this morning. It's the poseur fallacy that is being pointed at, not the merits of the car for what it is, you're *intentionally* derailing the topic.

Some people are in this thread.

Still off topic. A m235 is not an M car. Neither is a 1M.

Oh yeah ? What about :

( goes on further to argue that it is)

As you can see your post was just aggressive bullshit which makes you come off a typical douchebag.

I called the truth, nothing more. There will always be people like that 235m guy.

The truth :
My post was not aggressive at all. I never called you a d-bag or a snob. I said your post comes off as so.

The 1m was infact promoted as an //M car. Bmw called it a true M car many times in the press and it was on the website configurator with the other //M cars. Their explanation for the name was they could not call it an M1 as the name was already used. The m2 is the successor of the 1m and conforms to the typical naming convention with the other cars.

The examples you linked of "people calling the m235i a real //M" were people being sarcastic.

I agree with your sentiments of what personally constitutes an M car but I recognize it is bmw who dictates it all. It honestly all is naming and marketing these days.

I didnt mean to come off as aggressive or insulting toward you and apologize if I did. I am only trying to discuss in here and it is OK if we all disagree.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #90
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Forget watching Mayweather vs Pacquiao...this thread has more action, drama, suspense, and intrigue...
I'm still on the fence on who'll get knocked out and in what round
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #91
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Quote:
LOL absolutely not. There is nothing snob about calling the cards. Sure, BMW marketing is encouraging the bluff and that m235 owner was their ideal customer.
Calling me snob for stating facts makes you a douchebag.

Never. It may have been misconstrued as such by non official english publishing sources (which is exactly what bmw marketing wanted). If you had read German articles it was clearly not released as an M car. They called it "Das 1er M Coup" =The 1 Series M Coupe. The 1 digit coming first makes it clear it is a 1 series not an M motorsport vehicle. The German press went further to say: " it does not have the M gene, lacks in performance and is not supple enough".

.. and i didn't hate my razor blade when i shaved this morning. It's the poseur fallacy that is being pointed at, not the merits of the car for what it is, you're *intentionally* derailing the topic.

Some people are in this thread.

Still off topic. A m235 is not an M car. Neither is a 1M.

Oh yeah ? What about :

( goes on further to argue that it is)

As you can see your post was just aggressive bullshit which makes you come off a typical douchebag.

I called the truth, nothing more. There will always be people like that 235m guy.

The truth :
My post was not aggressive at all. I never called you a d-bag or a snob. I said your post comes off as so.

The 1m was infact promoted as an //M car. Bmw called it a true M car many times in the press and it was on the website configurator with the other //M cars. Their explanation for the name was they could not call it an M1 as the name was already used. The m2 is the successor of the 1m and conforms to the typical naming convention with the other cars.

The examples you linked of "people calling the m235i a real //M" were people being sarcastic.

I agree with your sentiments of what personally constitutes an M car but I recognize it is bmw who dictates it all. It honestly all is naming and marketing these days.

I didnt mean to come off as aggressive or insulting toward you and apologize if I did. I am only trying to discuss in here and it is OK if we all disagree.
Don't worry about it. Talking to this guy is like arguing with a Democrat on the merits of gun control. I do have to admit though that I am enjoying the back and forth banter on this thread. Opinions are like a-holes, this guy is one. Wait, that's not how that goes.....

I'm just having fun now. I quit taking this thread seriously.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #92
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
The 1 digit coming first makes it clear it is a 1 series not an M motorsport vehicle.
Not correct at all. Period.

The 1M was 100% an M product sourced solely from BMW M GmbH in its conception, design and push to reality. Your use of "Search this Forum" will provide full details and pay dividends. Especially cf. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Their explanation for the name was they could not call it an M1 as the name was already used.
This is the correct position.

During its very brief development period BMW internally referred to the car as the "M1," among other names. The uniquely historical significance of that tag drove the decision to use the "1M" nomenclature instead.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #93
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
Not correct at all. Period.

The 1M was 100% an M product sourced solely from BMW M GmbH in its conception, design and push to reality. Your use of "Search this Forum" will provide full details and pay dividends. Especially cf. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=307

This is the correct position.

During its very brief development period BMW internally referred to the car as the "M1," among other names. The uniquely historical significance of that tag drove the decision to use the "1M" nomenclature instead.
Technically yes if it came out of M GmbH, it's an M car. I have to take back what i said about the 1M not being an M car. But the m235i and m135i are not M cars. That is not debatable. Period.

Back to the 1M, however if you dig deeper, from a M purist's perspective it is showing bmw tendency of recent years to bank on the M logo without meeting the expectation of a true M car with a bespoke M engine.

So while i will not contend with the official bmw classification as an M purist i do have second thoughts about the 1M, for the following reasons :

- Unlike true historical M cars, it does not have a bespoke engine developed specifically for it. it is powered by exactly the same 335-hp twin-turbo engine that powers the Z4 sDrive35is, which not only carries one of the industry’s dumbest names but isn’t even an M car. The 1M then has a non M car engine.

-The truth is that the 1-series M is a parts-bin car. The brakes, the limited-slip differential, the aluminum dampers, and the rear subframe and suspension components come directly from the M3. That's a great way to make an M car, that's not the issue. In fact the E92 M3 has many parts from the E60 M5 as well. But the 1M engine is not M and that's the key to an M car.

German reviews have said it lacks the M genes. Quoting them :

- It has too much weight on the front axle
- Occasional unpleasant hiccup when the two turbos are in conflict which can turn up first.

-"But the last ounce of sportiness, which is measured not only on performance numbers is lacking. Although the small M drives off most of its competitors, the package is not supple enough."

So yes it's an M car, but they could have done a much better job if it had its own engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #94
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Technically yes if it came out of M GmbH, it's an M car. I have to take back what i said about the 1M not being an M car. But the m235i and m135i are not M cars. That is not debatable. Period.

Back to the 1M, however if you dig deeper, from a M purist's perspective it is showing bmw tendency of recent years to bank on the M logo without meeting the expectation of a true M car with a bespoke M engine.

So while i will not contend with the official bmw classification as an M purist i do have second thoughts about the 1M, for the following reasons :

- Unlike true historical M cars, it does not have a bespoke engine developed specifically for it. it is powered by exactly the same 335-hp twin-turbo engine that powers the Z4 sDrive35is, which not only carries one of the industry’s dumbest names but isn’t even an M car. The 1M then has a non M car engine.

-The truth is that the 1-series M is a parts-bin car. The brakes, the limited-slip differential, the aluminum dampers, and the rear subframe and suspension components come directly from the M3. That's a great way to make an M car, that's not the issue. In fact the E92 M3 has many parts from the E60 M5 as well. But the 1M engine is not M and that's the key to an M car.

German reviews have said it lacks the M genes. Quoting them :

- It has too much weight on the front axle
- Occasional unpleasant hiccup when the two turbos are in conflict which can turn up first.

-"But the last ounce of sportiness, which is measured not only on performance numbers is lacking. Although the small M drives off most of its competitors, the package is not supple enough."

So yes it's an M car, but they could have done a much better job if it had its own engine.
The real disagreement in this thread wasn't what constitutes an M car or even if the m235i is an actual M ( we all agree it isnt), it is whether it is appropriate to talk down on someones car, tell someone they are wrong or treat them differently because they own an non m.

It all just fits into the //M dousche stereotype where owners have delusional sense of authority because they spent a little more and got an //m car.

(not calling anyone in here a dousche)

Last edited by ilikebmxbikes; 05-06-2015 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #95
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
The real disagreement in this thread wasn't what constitutes an M car or even if the m235i is an actual M ( we all agree it isnt), it is whether it is appropriate to talk down on someones car, tell someone they are wrong or treat them differently because they own an non m.

It all just fits into the //M dousche stereotype where owners have delusional sense of authority because they spent a little more and got an //m car.

There is no debate on that point, that's hypocrisy. No M owner in this thread wants to talk down a non-M owner who isn't pretending his car is an M. Yet people like you are making hypocrite assimilation, distorting the situation into something that it's not. That's reflects on your and their insecurities, and doesn't make the M owner condescending for correcting them in any way.

Nailing this point, The OP has been accused by similarly minded people under flawed logic that correcting a lie is looking down on the lier !
That is complete silliness. If you lie knowingly that your car is an M when it's not, then you had it coming. If you take offense for being corrected from making malarkey statements, then of all people, you are a douche-bag.
If you lie unknowingly then you are a fool, and you should thank someone for correcting you.

Anyone alluding to name calling to a proud M owner who doesn't entertain a lie and stands for what his car is and what it's not, is the douche.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #96
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
There is no debate on that point, that's hypocrisy. No M owner in this thread wants to talk down a non-M owner who isn't pretending his car is an M. Yet people like you are making hypocrite assimilation, distorting the situation into something that it's not. That's reflects on your and their insecurities, and doesn't make the M owner condescending for correcting them in any way.

Nailing this point, The OP has been accused by similarly minded people as you of correcting a lie is looking down on the lier !
That is complete silliness. If you lie knowingly that your car is an M when it's not, then you had it coming. If you take offense for being corrected from making malarkey statements, then of all people, you are a douche-bag.
If you lie unknowingly then you are a fool, and you should thank someone for correcting you.

Anyone making alluding to name calling to a proud M owner who doesn't entertain a lie and stands for what his car is and what it's not, is the douche.
My friend....

1- Calm down
2- Think
3- Post
Nothing against you , and "you know" why "I'm" saying this "again" so step 1-3

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #97
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Sounds like u wouldn't mind if one day u show up a party with your date and telling people she looks gorgeous and have someone tell u in your face that she is one fugly toad...If we are all absolutely direct and frank all the time, this world would be a much harsher environment than it is now...

Quote:

Nailing this point, The OP has been accused by similarly minded people under flawed logic that correcting a lie is looking down on the lier !

Anyone alluding to name calling to a proud M owner who doesn't entertain a lie and stands for what his car is and what it's not, is the douche.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #98
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW
Quote:

And in all truth - an M owner is just a person who bought a car. It's not a hard club to get into. It's the feeling of superiority that people think owning an M 'grants' them that I think is ridiculous. The fact that you feel the M owner doesn't want to but should 'correct' someone is silly.

And 'people like me' and my 'insecurities' ??? Wtf are you talking about?

Had I been in the situation I would have just ignored the M comment and had them show me their car and had a good conversation with another car enthusiast. But I guess I wouldn't be doing my sworn duty as an elite M owner but maybe I would have made a friend instead of a thread on M3 post.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #99
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Not saying mine is the Gold standard here, but if I were to be in that situation, I would genuinely find out from him what he meant or understood of M. I would take the opportunity to explain to him (in a nice manner) that the M performance range is akin to the S range in Audi instead of RS. I would also encourage him to test drive a M. Whenever I am driving something I like, I always see myself as a brand ambassador and would never hesitate to share my knowledge of the car or passion with anybody who asks whether it's at the gas stations or dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #100
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Or you could just walk away and let them think and say what they want.
I made the comment and then walked away, after listening to a fellow "car enthusiast" pontificate for what seemed like an eternity about "his M this...etc" when he knew it was total bull shit.

And my opinion - a M235i is a frankenstein of M parts and NOT a M car, regardless of how fast it is or how many M badges it comes with or how many aftermarket fake M badges you put on it.

1M IS a M car - out of respect for the historic M1, BMW would not use this moniker on the 1M

My opinions are mine, and mine alone. I did not correct the car owner, nor did I direct my comments directly to the car owner - simply made a general statement and then left.

I am not a bitter person and "my life is not miserable" as someone has accused in this thread. I respect all car enthusiasts, regardless of what you own or can afford - just be honest about your ride. I guess the guy just rubbed me the wrong way on this particular day.

Regardless of what you think of me and my comment - A persons passion for their car is AWESOME - Lying about your car to people is just BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #101
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Sounds like u wouldn't mind if one day u show up a party with your date and telling people she looks gorgeous and have someone tell u in your face that she is one fugly toad...If we are all absolutely direct and frank all the time, this world would be a much harsher environment than it is now...
There is a difference between cordial behavior and being a poser. If you brag excessively about dating a super model and show up with anything less than a perfect 10...then, it is likely someone will call you out...If this is how you rationalize my post regarding the car owner, then my only response is:
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:15 AM   #102
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

May I suggest that all take a step back, breathe, smile, and let go. It's only when we cling to "I'm right and you're wrong" that we fall into the trap of not learning valuable lessons from the experiences that we ourselves have attracted to us. In this instance, there is no right and there is no wrong only different levels of awareness and different viewpoints based on a myriad of factors too numerous to get into on a public forum. I think what's more valuable is to take a step back to ask yourself what you might've done differently to have a different outcome? At times that leads you into valuable lessons of acceptance, gratitude and appreciation.
It's what I do when I find myself "hooked"
It works
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #103
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I just got cut off by a F10 535 today. It was driven very aggressively tailgating people and waving through traffic. It had a monochrome M badge on the trunk and the license plate said "WINING". I will just leave it at that...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #104
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
I just got cut off by a F10 535 today. It was driven very aggressively tailgating people and waving through traffic. It had a monochrome M badge on the trunk and the license plate said "WINING". I will just leave it at that...
At a light last week coming back from lunch...while waiting to turn back into the office I spied a nice looking 7 series. Upon closer inspection...the front grill had the ///M colors.

When he drove by, I caught a glimpse of the trunk in the rear view mirror...and...///M badge on a 750. Left side just for extra HP
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #105
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
This. Who cares? Who cares if an M235i owner calls his car an M?
yup..hating at it's finest...He could call it a lambo..for all I care.
I don't need to go out of my way to put someone in his place.
      05-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #106
ASBSECU E93
Rep

...So he's a liar/poser and I'm the douche..?

I learned a long time ago that all you really own in this life is creditability - at home, at work, in relationships, even among strangers.

I'll keep my creditability before I feel the need to lie to strangers to impress them.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #107
jason2454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Wow, tslk about insecure. OP you can't let someone enjoy their car? Bmw chose to badge it wit M. Who cares lol. Can't imagine getting bothered by this and then saying sonething in person lol
This...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:40 AM   #108
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Actually this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Lets recap: Guy felt he needed to 1) Interrupt my conversation regarding a potential M4 Vert purchase; 2) I asked the guy a question about the wrap; 3) Then he went to great lengths to describe how his car was a M car...

I am not a M snob (or a snob any other time). As I have stated, I did not whip out my "M" owners badge and give him a stern talking too. I love all cars across all generations and brands. I take great pride in my car and have respect for others that also do the same. I could also care less if his car was 200 hp more than my car, the point is he kept on spouting all this BS about his car. I made my comment to the salesman right in front of him...then I walked away.

I was not malicious or angry, nor was my comment directed at the guy - simply made a factual statement and walked away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2454 View Post
This...
Non M owner mods every body panel to look like an M...and the M owner is insecure? LOL
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #109
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Someone please make the M version of this....

06-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #110
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Someone please make the M version of this....

https://video-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...37&oe=557A43E8

nice tone of the single exhaust '///M3'
Quote:
Appreciate 1