BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

11-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Computer Help!

My girlfriend has a Dell lap top with Vista. She clicked a link on facebook and it downloaded cyber security, nasty spy ware. I got rid of the cyber security, but somewhere along the line of the computer going nuts when infected, the font and icons got HUGE!

I right clicked, personalize and went to font size to adjust the DPI and it's on 96, the smallest option but everything is still huge. Holding control and scrolling the mouse shrinks font but it's not the same.

What do I do to get the font, icons and all that back to normal. It's so big that it looks like a late 90's desk top...
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
bigslickak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
My girlfriend has a Dell lap top with Vista. She clicked a link on facebook and it downloaded cyber security, nasty spy ware. I got rid of the cyber security, but somewhere along the line of the computer going nuts when infected, the font and icons got HUGE!

I right clicked, personalize and went to font size to adjust the DPI and it's on 96, the smallest option but everything is still huge. Holding control and scrolling the mouse shrinks font but it's not the same.

What do I do to get the font, icons and all that back to normal. It's so big that it looks like a late 90's desk top...
Have you tried going back to a system restore point from just before the spyware infection?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Have you checked resolution just to be sure it didn't mess with that. If it has, you can see if your monitor's drivers were deleted (if so, reinstall and set resolution). I believe with most newer monitors, best resolution is usually the highest the monitor supports.

If all else fails, as previous poster said, restore point.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

I would suggest running malwarebytes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

right click, personalize, display settings...make sure the bar is all the way to the right
      11-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

I've already run malwarebytes and all of that. I right clicked display made sure the bar was all the way to the right, still no dice.

How do I go about the system restore?
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
I've already run malwarebytes and all of that. I right clicked display made sure the bar was all the way to the right, still no dice.

IMO this is the only time i would say better be glad she has a dell, it came with recovery disks with the laptop, just put them in and run them...if they are lost restart the computer and tap F10...that is the recovery partition, or hit start type system restore in the search bar and go from there...

save all data to a external hard drive first though...
      11-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
IMO this is the only time i would say better be glad she has a dell, it came with recovery disks with the laptop, just put them in and run them...if they are lost restart the computer and tap F10...that is the recovery partition, or hit start type system restore in the search bar and go from there...

save all data to a external hard drive first though...
CyberSecurity (and the rest of its clones such as TotalSecurity and Antivirus 2010) are nasty, MalwareBytes isn't capable of removing it. You'll probably need to boot into safe mode (if it lets you - I've seen instances where this doesn't work), and run the arsenal of scans. Combofix, MalwareBytes, Defender, Spybot, and Hijackthis to be sure it's cleared out.

You can also try a Windows System Restore. This won't touch your personal files, and is reversable. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Follow the wizard, and restore back to a date before she clicked the link.

If all of the above fails, then take CollinsE90's advice and use the restore disks and reinstall the entire thing. Be sure to backup any and all data before doing so.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Keep in mind that some of these viruses/trojans use system restore to stay in your system. I would disable system restore and boot into safe mode with the above mentioned programs and try to remove it.
If you don't have any important data on the computer it might be easier to just reinstall Windows.

p.s. I'm guessing you have UAC turned off?
Appreciate 0