BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Bolos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Saloon Competition

Limp mode at 45k miles...HELP

have any of you had these codes show up after going into limp mode? 2011 DCT.

It's at the shop for several days now and would appreciate any help.

I've already researched and I've come up with a few things like Vacuum brake booster, idle control valve/ controller, the hose connecting the intake manifold and controller could be deteriorating and causing small leak?

Lastly......
A tuner/code shop guy said could be a "voltage" problem. I don't even know what that means.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolos View Post

I've already researched and I've come up with a few things like Vacuum brake booster, idle control valve/ controller, the hose connecting the intake manifold and controller could be deteriorating and causing small leak?

Lastly......
A tuner/code shop guy said could be a "voltage" problem. I don't even know what that means.

Any help is appreciated.
Your tuner may have been hinting at a battery problem. Has the battery in your car ever been replaced? If not, some people have reported their E9X cars going into limp mode and getting random trouble codes when their battery began to die. See this thread here for one example. One member on here had a similar experience with standing water around the battery, discussed in a thread here.

If the issue turns out not to be battery or battery cable related, code 2B0D often appears for the "Idle Control Valve" or "Idle Control Device" discussed in this thread here and in this thread here. If it is the Idle Control Device, BMW just extended the warranty for this part to 10 years/120,000 miles discussed in this thread here, so that would be a free fix at the BMW dealer.

Last edited by Theodore; 10-22-2016 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Bolos
Private First Class
Rep

It ended up being the throttle actuators after all this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolos View Post

Lastly......

Any help is appreciated.
Your tuner may have been hinting at a battery problem. Has the battery in your car ever been replaced? If not, some people have reported their E9X cars going into limp mode and getting random trouble codes when their battery began to die. See this thread here for one example. One member on here had a similar experience with standing water around the battery, discussed in a thread here.

If the issue turns out not to be battery or battery cable related, code 2B0D often appears for the "Idle Control Valve" or "Idle Control Device" discussed in this thread here and in this thread here. If it is the Idle Control Device, BMW just extended the warranty for this part to 10 years/120,000 miles discussed in this thread here, so that would be a free fix at the BMW dealer.
It ended up being the throttle actuators after all this!!!!!
Part is Covered under emissions at BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Great to hear about the State of California actually saving someone some money for once!

Last edited by Theodore; 11-07-2016 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bolos21.00
      12-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Bolos
Private First Class
Rep

27E4

Quote:
Great to hear about the State of California actually saving someone some money for once!
Quick update so it was the idle control valve sensor AND vacuum brake booster
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
Tellmee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP AW/FR

Quote:
Yes I got throttle actuator covered by california emission warranty but in New Jersey. Thank God it covers quite a few states.
Appreciate 0