BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

question for those who have done the LCI tail light upgrade?

I purchased a set of the 2011 LED tail lights from EAS for $600 and they are almost here. Apparently there is now an additional $65 charge from EAS to give me the coding information so i can get it done locally.
Did i miss that there was an extra charge somewhere on m3post or their website? I assumed the coding information would be part of the deal. I also bought $2400 worth of tires/wheels/tpms etc from them at the same time.
i would have thought $3K included the coding, guess i'm a sucker.
thanks for the help!

Last edited by MonteCarloM3; 03-09-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i remember i paid about $500 for the lights themselves and another $50 or so for the module and then the cost of coding from whoever in your area that can code
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

YEAP I paid 65 for the coding for my LCI to be honest theres is just no one in the area.. so i had no choice...
      03-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
YEAP I paid 65 for the coding for my LCI to be honest theres is just no one in the area.. so i had no choice...
EAS did it for you, or did you pay for the information on how to do it and then you got someone else with autologic to do it? or something else? maybe i am missing something here.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
TomBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F82 M4 ///DCT

Which year M3s need the footwell module?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

thanks for the info. just wanted to check if there is anything special the coders need for this or if it's a simple thing to change for them.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
When I installed the lights, Tom at EAS included the coding because I purchased the lights from him. But I did take my car down to have him do it. It would probably cost more but a BMW dealer can now code the lights to the car so you don't get the bulb malfunction warnings. Otherwise most independents with the Autologic programmer should be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
thanks for the info. just wanted to check if there is anything special the coders need for this or if it's a simple thing to change for them.
cheers
I believe the tech just has to know where to look on his programmer to code out the rear bulb malfunction feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

Quote:
I believe the tech just has to know where to look on his programmer to code out the rear bulb malfunction feature.
ok, so it's super easy for a shop that does autologic coding? just wanted to check and find out what coding is involved in doing this.

every time i ask EAS(who i bought the lights from) a question about that, they either don't respond, tell me the same thing over and over again which doesn't help, or tell me they want to charge me money. and i live in Canada!, like i'm going to drive down to california for that :P

those guys at EAS suck big time, i'll never order again from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ok, so it's super easy for a shop that does autologic coding? just wanted to check and find out what coding is involved in doing this.

every time i ask EAS(who i bought the lights from) a question about that, they either don't respond, tell me the same thing over and over again which doesn't help, or tell me they want to charge me money. and i live in Canada!, like i'm going to drive down to california for that :P

those guys at EAS suck big time, i'll never order again from them.
Im not exactly sure what answer u want from them, not all can do it as previous thread that some are able to do it without swapping the module... Its not like heres what u can do, u need to have the right gadget to do do it and even dealers sometimes they dont know how to do it... Honestly they can tell u what to do but without autologic and the right coding u cant do shit... What do u expect tell u a step by step guide.
      03-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Also ur in Canada they need ur ECU to do the coding how do u expect them to do the coding... Shit just boggles my mind. U should have done ur research before purchasing
      03-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Actually, I had a similar experience. I bought the lights and they told me they would find a local autologic shop to code them. They did not, so I chased one down. Then they said they would tell the shop how to do it. They did not include any instructions or information for the local shop. When I asked them, they said they shop should be able to figure it out and they could call them if they could not. Not exactly what we had discussed. Especially bothersome since a shop is going to charge you by the hour and the coding literally takes about 15 minutes. Of course, if you don't know what you're doing, it could take hours.

I just ended up doing some research and now I'll be able to do the coding myself. Just search google for "bmw coding". Everything you need will be on the first page of results.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
You can try this.
  1. Install the lights
  2. Take it to the dealer and tell them the lights are flickering (Play dumb or if you have a good relationship with the SA give em a wink)
  3. They will do the retrofit coding
  4. If they are cool they will chalk it up to warranty

I did that back in the day with my e46M3 when I did the LED Retrofit and it worked like a charm. Didn't pay a cent for coding

Last edited by tlp; 03-11-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

Quote:
Also ur in Canada they need ur ECU to do the coding how do u expect them to do the coding... Shit just boggles my mind. U should have done ur research before purchasing
holy crap, you're acting like coding is like unlocking the DNA code or something.
i've coded other cars myself with a laptop and a cable, it's pretty freaking easy. the key is to know what software modules need the adjustment.
i don't need FRM3, i have a 2010 duh...look below.
just some pointers on what software modules need to be coded is all i am asking for dummy.
i guess it's too much to ask for help around here, all i get are wise-asses who know nothing and talk a big game.

Last edited by MonteCarloM3; 03-11-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Actually, I had a similar experience. I bought the lights and they told me they would find a local autologic shop to code them. They did not, so I chased one down. Then they said they would tell the shop how to do it. They did not include any instructions or information for the local shop. When I asked them, they said they shop should be able to figure it out and they could call them if they could not. Not exactly what we had discussed. Especially bothersome since a shop is going to charge you by the hour and the coding literally takes about 15 minutes. Of course, if you don't know what you're doing, it could take hours.

I just ended up doing some research and now I'll be able to do the coding myself. Just search google for "bmw coding". Everything you need will be on the first page of results.
finally, some intelligence around here!
sounds like you have had the same experience. they still have not replied to my questions about this. they sure get back quick when you want to buy something though.
no big deal, there are lots of other suppliers on here who can hopefully provide better service.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
holy crap, you're acting like coding is like unlocking the DNA code or something.
i've coded other cars myself with a laptop and a cable, it's pretty freaking easy. the key is to know what software modules need the adjustment.
i don't need FRM3, i have a 2010 duh...look below.
just some pointers on what software modules need to be coded is all i am asking for dummy.
i guess it's too much to ask for help around here, all i get are wise-asses who know nothing and talk a big game.
Oh my apologies im fawkin using my iphone so maybe u dont have one fawkin dummy I cant see ur sig... So if u said u have coded other cars u probably havent coded a BMW have u.... If it was that easy? Then everyone would have done it... Good luck on findin the software modules Like anyone is going to tell u... Why do u think EAS is not telling u or even at that NO one is going to tell u.... Just because u spent 2400 dollars u think they will tell u? I got nothin more to say... Business is business...
      03-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep

exactly, I'll be taking my money elsewhere now and I'll also make sure others hear my experience.
Appreciate 0