BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #45
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
The Akra Slip-on is advertised with an increase of 3hp and 3lbs-ft which I will admit is negligible. MPE no gains shown.
3 > 0. Therefore my statement is true.

Not to mention that the Akra is lighter than the MPE.
No, your statement shows how little you know and that you believe advertisements. Most dynos have a tolerance greater than 3hp at any given time so actually; 3=0.

Also, on a side note, I posted that axle-backs give ZERO gains even after watching the following video. However, if you really want to split hairs, 7>3.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #46
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
OEM exhaust mod-costs 200 dollars or you can do it yourself for free and it sounds identical to the bmw performance exhaust. Its likely what they did anyway and you can do the same for really cheap. ALthough the homeade one won't be that special metal they use and you wont save the 12 pounds but sound wise its the best money spent and sounds great.

There are now two exhaust mods going if you want to read about them. One is completely bypassing the center exhaust absorption chamges and in essence making a straight pipe that still travels through the stock hemoltz resonator.

Other one is to cover the pipes with perforations with another pipe and thus eliminates some of the sound absorption.
Just out of curiosity what is required to actually modify the exhaust at home.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #47
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
A slip-on increases hp?????
Sure it does

Unless of of course you're referencing the Evo. That's good for quite a few hp. But why compare a full system to an axle-back?

That's like comparing apples to dildos.
Quote:
The Akra Slip-on is advertised with an increase of 3hp and 3lbs-ft which I will admit is negligible. MPE no gains shown.
3 > 0. Therefore my statement is true.

Not to mention that the Akra is lighter than the MPE.

Quote:
No, your statement shows how little you know and that you believe advertisements. Most dynos have a tolerance greater than 3hp at any given time so actually; 3=0.

Also, on a side note, I posted that axle-backs give ZERO gains even after watching the following video. However, if you really want to split hairs, 7>3.

Thank you! You acknowledge that a slip-on increases horsepower. LOL back to ya! I was only providing information straight from the manufacturers of both systems. I should take their information as having some kind of credibility. How can you tell that this video isn't advertisement as well? I believe it comes from a BMW dealer who makes money selling MPE's. You tell me, you are the one with the infinite wisdom. A fair test, and one that perhaps will not happen, is to test both systems in the same car, the same day and under the same conditions. You should know (since you probably wrote the book on dynos) that many factors can affect a dyno run (positively and negatively). Perhaps if this is done, since manufacturers have a 3hp difference in their specifications, the Akra slip-on can increase 10hp. Who knows. But then again, as your majesty said, in a dyno 3 = 0, so we can call it even. And no, I'm not going to spend the day looking for an Akra slip-on dyno video.

Yes I know so little, no problem with that. And it appears that you know a lot, and probably wrote the E9X M3 Owner's Manual as well, or were part of the team of engineers that designed it. I come to this forum, and I believe many do, to learn about my car, and in occasions, if I can, to help others in matters in which I have gained knowledge. But mostly because I'm a car enthusiast, love BMW's and love my M3. I have learned many things in this forum and probably I've learned a few things from you as well. But it is not nice when people trash or ridicules others for a comment made to provide what I believe it was accurate info. I did not provide wrong information. The post I made, as stated previously, was based on information from the manufacturers. If you need to correct someone, it can be done a different way.

PS: These two slip-ons increase hp; the Akra is lighter.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #48
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! You acknowledge that a slip-on increases horsepower. LOL back to ya! I was only providing information straight from the manufacturers of both systems. I should take their information as having some kind of credibility. How can you tell that this video isn't advertisement as well? I believe it comes from a BMW dealer who makes money selling MPE's. You tell me, you are the one with the infinite wisdom. A fair test, and one that perhaps will not happen, is to test both systems in the same car, the same day and under the same conditions. You should know (since you probably wrote the book on dynos) that many factors can affect a dyno run (positively and negatively). Perhaps if this is done, since manufacturers have a 3hp difference in their specifications, the Akra slip-on can increase 10hp. Who knows. But then again, as your majesty said, in a dyno 3 = 0, so we can call it even. And no, I'm not going to spend the day looking for an Akra slip-on dyno video.

Yes I know so little, no problem with that. And it appears that you know a lot, and probably wrote the E9X M3 Owner's Manual as well, or were part of the team of engineers that designed it. I come to this forum, and I believe many do, to learn about my car, and in occasions, if I can, to help others in matters in which I have gained knowledge. But mostly because I'm a car enthusiast, love BMW's and love my M3. I have learned many things in this forum and probably I've learned a few things from you as well. But it is not nice when people trash or ridicules others for a comment made to provide what I believe it was accurate info. I did not provide wrong information. The post I made, as stated previously, was based on information from the manufacturers. If you need to correct someone, it can be done a different way.

PS: These two slip-ons increase hp; the Akra is lighter.
I'm not completely sure but I think I detect a little sarcasm?

I understand where you got the info from. My point was that you believe it. I'm not insinuating at all that Akrapovic isn't 100% legit and reliable. I'm just saying that in the world of engines, dynos, mods, et al...that a 3 hp gain is so subjective (which you have conceded to) that it really isn't a gain at all. So rather than compare one axle-back against another because one yields 1.5 hp and the other 2 hp, everyone here kind of collectively agrees that axle-backs don't give any power gains. If you buy an Akra slip-on, buy it because it's light, looks good and sounds good (to you of course) but don't say you paid ~$3,600 because of power increases.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #49
jasonmaxima
Rep
Drives: E90 IB M3

Hi Prophizee, perhaps you can state what is it that you are after?! More power / torque or just more noise?

I have owned the m performance but came across a deal too hard to pass up and pull the trigger on a used akra system.

Here are my reviews of both....

cold start... akra > m performance in terms of loudness.

after warmup, in open spaces (car parks, off the street etc) m performance idles louder than akra (I have stood at the trunk of the car with the engine on and the m performance v8 hum is more unbearable than akra....to me at least) perhaps akra has very low bass frequencies that get cancelled out by ambient noises.

after warmup, in enclosed spaces, akra > m performance by a bit.... the above mentioned low bass frequencies get bounce off the walls.

at cruising, at around 2000rpm, akra makes a strong hum, then quietens down. can bearly hear it above 2000rpm. the m performance even above 2000rpm has a faint hum throughout the cabin...makes the in cabin sound like the camaro v8 sound in TV series hawaii 5-0.

when shifting down gears via dct... akra for the win!!!!

I can't say I have heard either systems with someone cruising by and driving my car.

however, I like the extra power & torque the akra system gives the car.

akra youtube videos

m performance youtube videos

**I do not own any of the abovementioned videos and credit goes to the owners.... but I think I have contributed to at least 50 hits in each video mentioned....

had a chance to sit in 2 akra evo equipped m3s and kept cross comparing it to the m performance.... eventually I pulled the trigger on an akra system.

however, if you are after a ear splitting loud as F$#% exhaust... sorry...can't help you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #50
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
OEM exhaust mod-costs 200 dollars or you can do it yourself for free and it sounds identical to the bmw performance exhaust. Its likely what they did anyway and you can do the same for really cheap. ALthough the homeade one won't be that special metal they use and you wont save the 12 pounds but sound wise its the best money spent and sounds great.

There are now two exhaust mods going if you want to read about them. One is completely bypassing the center exhaust absorption chamges and in essence making a straight pipe that still travels through the stock hemoltz resonator.

Other one is to cover the pipes with perforations with another pipe and thus eliminates some of the sound absorption.
I just finished straight piping mine keeping the hemoltz chambers and it sounds great. I shaved a whole sht ton of weight by doing it and it seems to run better.I could not be happier for the money. I am looking to go complete header back titanium straight back a little later.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #51
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Love my Akra Slip on
Have my Akra Evo ready to go on my new car...Can't Wait.
      12-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #52
Blu_Frg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP

don't own an m3 (yet), but out of all the exhaust vids i've seen/heard on youtube, the meisterschaft exhaust sounds the best to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #53
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

[QUOTE=jasonmaxima;10899120]Hi Prophizee, perhaps you can state what is it that you are after?! More power / torque or just more noise?

I have owned the m performance but came across a deal too hard to pass up and pull the trigger on a used akra system.

Here are my reviews of both....

cold start... akra > m performance in terms of loudness.

after warmup, in open spaces (car parks, off the street etc) m performance idles louder than akra (I have stood at the trunk of the car with the engine on and the m performance v8 hum is more unbearable than akra....to me at least) perhaps akra has very low bass frequencies that get cancelled out by ambient noises.

after warmup, in enclosed spaces, akra > m performance by a bit.... the above mentioned low bass frequencies get bounce off the walls.

at cruising, at around 2000rpm, akra makes a strong hum, then quietens down. can bearly hear it above 2000rpm. the m performance even above 2000rpm has a faint hum throughout the cabin...makes the in cabin sound like the camaro v8 sound in TV series hawaii 5-0.

when shifting down gears via dct... akra for the win!!!!

I can't say I have heard either systems with someone cruising by and driving my car.

however, I like the extra power
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #54
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
I'm not completely sure but I think I detect a little sarcasm?

I understand where you got the info from. My point was that you believe it. I'm not insinuating at all that Akrapovic isn't 100% legit and reliable. I'm just saying that in the world of engines, dynos, mods, et al...that a 3 hp gain is so subjective (which you have conceded to) that it really isn't a gain at all. So rather than compare one axle-back against another because one yields 1.5 hp and the other 2 hp, everyone here kind of collectively agrees that axle-backs don't give any power gains. If you buy an Akra slip-on, buy it because it's light, looks good and sounds good (to you of course) but don't say you paid ~$3,600 because of power increases.
I get your point and agree. Slip-ons are for looks/sound. If you want real/significant hp gains go for a complete exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #55
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I get your point and agree. Slip-ons are for looks/sound. If you want real/significant hp gains go for a complete exhaust system.
Spot-on brother

Appreciate 0