BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-30-2009, 03:33 AM   #67
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Thanks swamp. I was to have the update done last week. Now after reading all this, Im glad I waited. Making another appt tommorw.

Last edited by Adonislike; 06-30-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsm3 View Post
I had to beg, am I getting this treatment because I'm a girl and why are they being so unwilling to install this.
No, don't worry, most everyone else is and/or will get the same type of treatment.

Part of BMW NA's business model is to conceal costly warranty related issues and other costly obligations from consumers and employees at their franchised sales outlets as well as they possibly can. This allows them to run their business at a higher profit margin than they otherwise would and indeed partially contributes to the fact that we have the least expensive BMWs in the world here in the US. Unfortunately, it also means that we have to go through a big song and dance to get results. And it means dealing with the denial and/or cold shoulder at the dealership. Just stay tuned here. Once this reaches critical mass and plausible deniability is no longer an option, you'll start to see results.

And on that note a huge thank you to folks like GT3 Tim and swamp2 who spend the time and effort to put the screws to their dealerships. And of course, thank you for BMWM.D. for taking his job as seriously as he does, for staying up-to-date on the issue, and for offering to do the install without hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #69
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

I don’t know but is it not completely crazy to post all of these direct links to bmwtis.com. Soon or later BMW will get tired of being slap with information indented for internal use and block the access.

Especially with something like the roundtable which obviously is not intended for us. When I posted the SIB on the RoundTable I did not link it for a reason, as I think that we can all benefit from access to info like this, but does anyone really think that BMW wants documents like this indexed on Google?

A little off topic I know but without SIB information in the future we will not be able to have discussions like this.
      06-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #70
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
I don’t know but is it not completely crazy to post all of these direct links to bmwtis.com. Soon or later BMW will get tired of being slap with information indented for internal use and block the access.

Especially with something like the roundtable which obviously is not intended for us. When I posted the SIB on the RoundTable I did not link it for a reason, as I think that we can all benefit from access to info like this, but does anyone really think that BMW wants documents like this indexed on Google?

A little off topic I know but without SIB information in the future we will not be able to have discussions like this.
I don't think we need to worry about this. BMW have obviously allowed these links to be accessed by anyone anywhere. I'm sure they could have made them more secure if they had chosen to.
      06-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #71
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
I don't think we need to worry about this. BMW have obviously allowed these links to be accessed by anyone anywhere. I'm sure they could have made them more secure if they had chosen to.
But see with links google will start indexing them(BMW never published any public links to the data as fare as I know) and what will BMW say when all of the sudden the first result is a link to the roundtable when someone searches for BMW DCT? (I like information access but will they?)

I am sure that they will change their minds about leaving the SIB open if they start showing up on google in masses, They blocked ALLDATAdiy.com a few years back so why will they allow this?
      06-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #72
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
... and what will BMW say when all of the sudden the first result is a link to the roundtable when someone searches for BMW DCT?
I don't know and frankly I don't care. What I do care about is this DCT lag issue, and anything that helps us isolate the fix is to be welcomed.
      06-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #73
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't know and frankly I don't care. What I do care about is this DCT lag issue, and anything that helps us isolate the fix is to be welcomed.
I completely Agree with you and that is why I posted the SIB for the roundtable. But do we really need to take the risk of not being able to do this for future issues just because we want the Lag issue fixed?
Remember that this could easly be done differently not triggering indexing by search engines.

Anyone could read a few post higher how to access any SIB wihtout needing to post any links so why take the chance of data being blocked.

Last edited by nitramsen; 06-30-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
But do we really need to take the risk of not being able to do this for future issues just because we want the Lag issue fixed? Remember that this could easly be done differently not triggering indexing by search engines.

Anyone could read a few post higher how to access any SIB wihtout needing to post any links so why take the chance of data being blocked.
A fair point nitramsen, especially given that the last component of the TSB URL (before the actual page name) sounds suspiciously like a staging area or something.

Do subscribers to this site get access to TSBs? Or are they supposed to remain hidden even to those people? If the latter then I'd say this is definitely a loophole BMW will seek to close once/if they are made aware. If the former then its still something they are probably already aware of. They do have a disclaimer on the sign-up page about sharing accounts being forbidden. While this is not strictly the same thing as sharing an account, I imagine they would suspend the account of anyone who shares the URLs - if they can determine who did it, that is.

I was able to find a few other such URLs via google also. Its definitely a poor choice on their part not to protect the URLs but I have to believe they know about it. Its just a matter of whether they know about the TSB part specifically.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #75
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

BMW could EASILY put a password on that site. They chose not to.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #76
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
And that is the issue.
      06-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #77
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And that is the issue.
Their issue, not yours, not mine. Now please, can we get back and keep on topic?
      06-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #78
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I am definitely not an attorney, but in order to lemon law a car in California, you usually need to have 3 repair ATTEMPTS. This means that the dealership has to perform some type of repair to fix the problem. A "normal operating characteristic" or "no problem found" does not constitute a repair. If the car is programmed, that is considered a repair attempt.
That is why I keep taking my car back in for repair of the lag issue.

This will be the fourth time.

From memory, if a safety related issue is not corrected in TWO attempts, you can go through the Lemon Law process.

If it is another non-safety issue, it is FOUR failed repair attempts.

This will be the fourth time I am bringing the car in for eliminating the lag. I am trying to give BMW the benefit of the doubt here and FIX it as I really do enjoy the car otherwise. However, I am at the end of my rope now, and I am not going to compromise my safety, or that of my passengers, any longer.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold

Last edited by GT3 Tim; 06-30-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #79
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
And most likely, even if they did, some nice fellow like BMWM.D. who has the access needed will share pertinent information with us. I hate to say it but the internet is a wonderful thing.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #80
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Swamp,

I'm getting the lag mentioned and looking for information to take to the dealer, where does it specifically state in the SIB that the dealer must update the DCT software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Guys (and gals), there is much reason to be very positive. However you will also have to be tough. We have two contributors to lag here. One is the "hose" issue (link here) and one is the DCT software. Both causes REQUIRE fixes by the latest SI B's. It seems that if both of these are addressed the lag is mostly to entirely fixed. Don't take "no" for an answer. I am going to ask that BOTH issues be examined in my service visit on Wednesday. I'll be printing out the SI B's directly from the BMW site before I go in. Those links are here for your convenience to do the same.

Software link here (pdf download). From the SI B 06 06 09 link here.

"Hose" SI B 13 05 08 link here.

One key thing to note is that the hose issue will cause the Service Engine Soon lamp (and various faults to be stored) whereas the lack of the latest DCT software update causes no faults. The latter contributes to the unwillingness of BMW to do a software update, along with the conflicting (older/superceded) SI B that says to NOT update the software.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #81
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Ugh, just noticed this. 2.35.005 is supposed to help but BMW is specifically instructed NOT to update software for DCT lag complaints. Terrible. How am I going to convince my SA I need 2.34.005?
tell him to read/see the Service Roundtable: June 2009 Show (first post).
Quote:
Is there an official source for this (online) and SIB? Does it supercede the "don't update software instructions"?

Quote:
yes, SIB060609

Let see how long these links work when 200 people starts reading them.

My guess is that they will slab you with SIB280708 and tell you to stop breaking so hard when you complain that the software update did not resolve the issue.
Quote:
And most likely, even if they did, some nice fellow like BMWM.D. who has the access needed will share pertinent information with us. I hate to say it but the internet is a wonderful thing.
Is it not funny that less than 24 hours ago you really needed creditable information to convince your dealer and now that you have it does not matter (and your post asking for the info disappears)?

I am hoping that BMW is not tracking the usage of their internal SIB’s because if they are I am pretty sure that even if the current access is intentionally the will review their policy to avoid indexing.
      06-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #82
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Their issue, not yours, not mine. Now please, can we get back and keep on topic?
THANK YOU!!!
If it so secrete, BMW would have put a password on it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #83
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. I have a Honda and ALL the dealer updates are posted on the net and they have a password type systems for their SIB's.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #84
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Aren't BMW oblidged to allow access to certain information?
http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #85
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it not funny that less than 24 hours ago you really needed creditable information to convince your dealer and now that you have it does not matter (and your post asking for the info disappears)?

I am hoping that BMW is not tracking the usage of their internal SIB’s because if they are I am pretty sure that even if the current access is intentionally the will review their policy to avoid indexing.
I have no idea what you are getting at.

I deleted a post recently in another thread because I had misquoted someone (the quote was correct but the user name was swapped). After editing it I lost the original post so just scrapped it entirely. As far as I can tell my request for this information is still right here in this very thread, see my post #48.

We get the point. You don't want the links public and indexed. Others disagree. I did not post the original post with instructions on exactly where to get SI B's online and the instructions on how to get any of them simply given the SI B number. I also don't plan on removing my posts with the links. Many folks have thanked me for these and they should help folks with this current issue at hand. I could honestly care less if BMW "shuts down" that system from public access on the internet. We will still get the information, period.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #86
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I'm getting the lag mentioned and looking for information to take to the dealer, where does it specifically state in the SIB that the dealer must update the DCT software?
Well, it doesn't say in writing that they must. It is simply their internal guidelines that provide an observation and the suggested course of action. I think it is safe to assume the suggested course of action is more or less required. I also think if they refuse the suggested course of action in their own documents you should ask for the refusal in writing. I will. They could get in an ENORMOUS amount of legal shit if they refused to follow their own written protocol and you got in an accident because of the lag. Again, IMO, the big problem is the earlier SI B that said DO NOT update software for complaints of the lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #87
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Got a update for everyone:

The Service bulletin has been updated and now contains the updated info concerning the software fix. Now there should really be no issues with having an update done.
      06-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #88
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Do you have a number we can relate to? you know how it is at some dealers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Got a update for everyone:

The Service bulletin has been updated and now contains the updated info concerning the software fix. Now there should really be no issues with having an update done.
Appreciate 0