BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: You drive a E9x M3. You are in your 20's. How'd you manage that?
I pay for the car, but I live with my parents. 38 17.12%
My parents paid for the car. 38 17.12%
I live on my own and pay for my car (probably not the smartest financial decision at your age) 146 65.77%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #133
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

My parents offered to buy me a Bugatti because I got into the best local community college, but I refused and said it would be irresponsible and it only gets 9 MPG. So I downgraded to an M3. That's my story.
#SWAG #BOTTLES #BITCHES #HO'S #BIMMER #VEYRON
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #134
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
This thread is full of "Hey look what I can do".
lmao true but atleast it's not like the other threads; the,"My D*ick is bigger than yours and I paid my car cash and have 17 houses. One day i'll do that maybe. but i like hearing from the guys my age and what they do also.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #135
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu View Post
^ She must not be Asian. "Very good university" for my parents was HARVARD and thats it.
Yep. Same here. Fortunately I did end up doing my residency and fellowships there so I was redeemed in my parents eyes even though I didn't go there for college or medical school. Although I think for my parents it was Harvard, Yale, Stanford or MIT.
      09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #136
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujabes24 View Post
lmao true but atleast it's not like the other threads; the,"My D*ick is bigger than yours and I paid my car cash and have 17 houses. One day i'll do that maybe. but i like hearing from the guys my age and what they do also.
My dick is 13 inches long and 3 inches wide. I paid for my car cash and I have 18 houses.
      09-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #137
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
My dick is 13 inches long and 3 inches wide. I paid for my car cash and I have 18 houses.
Lmao good one
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #138
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Quote:
^ She must not be Asian. "Very good university" for my parents was HARVARD and thats it.
#shitasianparentssay
      09-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #139
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

profound insights in this thread
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #140
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonda600 View Post
I'm 25 and recently purchased a pre-owned M3. I have been working at least 10 hours per week since I was 14 (at the local hospital in the Radiology department while in high school and at the university throughout college). With the help of some small academic scholarships and by graduating early, I left debt free and with a decent chunk in savings. I earn a respectable amount of money as a financial systems analyst, but nothing obscene. I've already bought my own home and sold my previous vehicle (that I kept for over 6 years) to help pay for the M3. It's not impossible if you prioritize and avoid spending frivolously.

Thanks for sharing your 'how', which is exactly what I was asking with this thread.

For people who bashed the OP (me) for being condescending or ignorant for saying that spending 50k+ on a car in your 20's is probably not the wisest FINANCIAL decision, you guys need to take a chill pill.

You can't find anyone that thinks that spending a considerable amount of money on a depreciating asset in your 20's IS A SMART FINANCIAL decision. Undoubtedly you have worked hard and made some tough choices to pay for the M3. But honestly, in your 20's things like paying off debt, saving for retirement, invest in your family, education or business is a much wiser FINANCIAL decision. In no way am I saying that people don't or shouldn't make decisions based on their passions and emotions.

It would be condescending if I didn't make this poor financial decision myself. But I just want to ask how others in their 20's managed to afford the m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #141
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm 31 and married. I had E46M at 24 y'o.
Now I have 2 "normal" cars for DD and a S2000 for DE. I make enough money to buy some toys but I don't know where to cut over and say it's time to buy a $80k car. i think i'm being too cautious about savings, ignoring my true desire.

sh*t i should grow a pair of balls before too late...

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #142
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My Crib:

http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/...nertEstate.jpg

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #143
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Sorry, but your parents are completely misguided. Yes, there are 20-somethings that may spend a disproportionate amount of money on their car, etc, etc, but for your parents to buy you an M3 because you got into a mediocre college is ridiculous. Even if you went to Stanford it would still be ridiculous.

Tell you what.....go down to a BMW dealership and tell them that you worked really hard and did well in school and got into UCI. Then tell them you want them to give you an M3 for this and see what they say.
Quote:
LarThaL
Getting into a UC school from out of country is very difficult and on top of that to get half of my tuition paid is even more difficult. It's funny, that everyone has a nose on the internet and loves to assume everybody's standpoint in life.

Tell you what............. You aren't a life counsellor. I really don't want to waste my time scrutinizing what you wrote but you really have no business telling me about what I have and how I've obtained it just like I have no business telling you.

And to Mr.Liu, the asian mentality for schooling is overrated, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

What I hate the most about this useless threads is that people always have to point their fingers to other people. Then again, nobody is content with other peoples' success or other peoples' ownerships.
      09-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #144
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

How? Just go to a dealer. Sign a check. How does everyone else buy their cars? Lol

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #145
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

I'm 24 financed the car on my own and paying it with my salary monthly....
      09-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #146
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
Let's spill the beans. I am #3. Bought the car used at 28. Dropped serious money on a depreciating asset rather than saving for a house/retirement/get out of debt/marriage/kids. But would do it again in a heartbeat!
same here. life is too short!

A few months after being diagnosed with RR MS, I just went all in.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG

Last edited by 24601; 09-20-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #147
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
LarThaL
Getting into a UC school from out of country is very difficult and on top of that to get half of my tuition paid is even more difficult. It's funny, that everyone has a nose on the internet and loves to assume everybody's standpoint in life.

Tell you what............. You aren't a life counsellor. I really don't want to waste my time scrutinizing what you wrote but you really have no business telling me about what I have and how I've obtained it just like I have no business telling you.

And to Mr.Liu, the asian mentality for schooling is overrated, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

What I hate the most about this useless threads is that people always have to point their fingers to other people. Then again, nobody is content with other peoples' success or other peoples' ownerships.
You need to chill and yes some of us are counselors in our profession. Sorry to rain on your parade but you will have to deal with it.

I counsel younger folks on finances in the military when I have too and yes these folks have made mistakes and some of us have been there and done that and can speak from experience and can shed some light on following the right path and making wise financial decisions so they WILL NOT get into financial trouble in the military. IF you cannot keep your finances under control then you are out of the military. Simple as that. No second chances, period.

Last edited by Endless619; 09-20-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #148
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Getting into a UC school from out of country is very difficult and on top of that to get half of my tuition paid is even more difficult.

Ok. I will give you that one, but that still doesn't make it a great school, it only makes it hard to get into from another country.

It's funny, that everyone has a nose on the internet and loves to assume everybody's standpoint in life.

It's the internet. We can only make assumptions based on the information that is presented and the manner in which it is presented

When you post something on a public internet forum, be prepared to get all sorts of responses. Some negative, some positive. If you are comfortable with who, what, where you are, it really shouldn't bother you anyway.

I reiterate....go into a BMW dealership and tell them to give you an M3 because you worked so hard and got into UCI. See what they say.
      09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #149
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Well, if you own the car and are on this thread, these are the few that can afford it. I agree with you that 90% of the 20-something people can not afford it.

Around here (San Francisco), there are a lot of high earning engineers and people in the internet industry which inflates incomes. They make close to 6 figure incomes out of college. So M3 for them is not that big a stretch.

I am in my 30s and purchased the M3 used. I'm not an engineer and not in high tech so had to wait longer to get one.
Six figures isn't very much money living in a place where you need to spend 700K+ for a decent house in a decent neighborhood, so making six figures doesn't neccasarily mean you can afford an M3.

In my opinion, you can only afford an m3 if you can purchase one and also have money to purchase a decent house, (or setting aside money to purchase a house), saving a decent amount for retirement, and having money left over for a rainy day fund. Lots of 20 somethings with m3s aren't in that position.
This!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #150
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Getting into a UC school from out of country is very difficult and on top of that to get half of my tuition paid is even more difficult.

Ok. I will give you that one, but that still doesn't make it a great school, it only makes it hard to get into from another country.

It's funny, that everyone has a nose on the internet and loves to assume everybody's standpoint in life.

It's the internet. We can only make assumptions based on the information that is presented and the manner in which it is presented

When you post something on a public internet forum, be prepared to get all sorts of responses. Some negative, some positive. If you are comfortable with who, what, where you are, it really shouldn't bother you anyway.

I reiterate....go into a BMW dealership and tell them to give you an M3 because you worked so hard and got into UCI. See what they say.
I love LarThaL. (Blue, you're my boy!)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #151
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Im 26 with a steady job as ceo of a commodity trading corporation. Paid for by my self and not a bad decision at all.
      09-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #152
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Went straight into a 7 year medical program after high school where I get to graduate early and as long as I maintained a 3.5gpa every semester I was automatically accepted into the colleges affiliated med school 3 years later (graduated undergraduate a year early). In the meantime I began managing my father's businesses since 16 so after my first year at med school he rewarded me with an M3. For those who keep saying go to bmw and see if they'll give u a car just cause u got into college, ur right they'd laugh at u. But Not all parents tell their kids it's Harvard or nothing and I actually turned down one of the most reputable colleges in Long Island so I could 1. Save my parents 30k by graduating early at my university 2. Go straight into med school after three years. Every situation is different but then again this is the Internet so negativity is expected.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #153
monkeyhead
Whatda
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
M3 Riff Raff
LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #154
hudamang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hopefully M4

This thread is hilarious. Let's not hate on other's successes. There's always someone who drives something better and someone who thinks your car is their dream car.

I graduated debt free, had an excellent job making good money while I was 22 and I remember going to Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW and all the sales people were extremely rude to me. The Porsche sales person told me they don't do test drives (I was checking out the Boxster S at the time).

Only the dealership at Infiniti treated me like a human so I ended up getting an M45. After getting married, having a kid, buying a couple of properties, priorities definitely changed. However, I'm 31 and I've always wanted an M3 so when my lease is up, I'll be getting an M4.

I've seen colleagues spending more than a year's salary on cars. That seems financial irresponsible but I'm not hating on them.

So what is a good ratio for car price vs income?