BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
BPMSport tune review (yes, another one)

So I have had the BPMSport tune and code done about a month ago. I wanted to live with the tune for a little on both the daily drive and the track before I posted a review. I know there have been many reviews, but I still thought I should share my impressions. I will also share my views on Euro vs US MDM. So here goes:

As many have said, the customer service is really good. I only have an iMac at home and no garage (I know, a car buff without a garage ), so I had to do a funky setup with a coffee table and the 21” iMac installed beside the car. I got all sorts of funny stares from many passersby . The coding and tune took less than one hour and it was a pleasure dealing with Mike .

The coding I got mostly for the Euro-MDM. The other features Mike did for me were simply an added bonus; but in the end, they still make the car more enjoyable .

Daily drive
The car feels much better with the tune . The engine sounds deeper and much more refined when cruising, almost quieter. But when you open the throttles it sounds more aggressive and sharper than before, “angry” seems to be the most appropriate term. The revised throttle mapping, both in normal and sport, also feels more natural compared to the stock setup. I just realized I never tried Sport+ since the tune, however I don’t think I will really need it. The engine just feels more responsive and is more enjoyable driving around. From the seat of the pants, the car definitely feels torquier in the mid range. I am talking WOT acceleration here, so it is not a throttle mapping thing. I have always found my wife’s V8 S4 to have more mid-range torque when just accelerating from top gear compared to my M3. Driving her car the other day, I had the opposite feeling, where now the M3 seems to pull harder in the mid range. I know, it is all very subjective, but the car does feel better and to me that is worth the money . Euro-MDM is really a blast on the street. It allows just enough slip to better enjoy the car while still keeping a decent safety net for that unforeseen moment. It will allow the tail to step out slightly, but you still cannot properly kick the tail out or do a “drift” since it will intervene to bring the tail back in. So for real tail out fun, you still need to turn DSC off . For quick accelerations, Euro-MDM seems much better calibrated and allows just enough wheel spin for a good launch . To paraphrase Tiff, it now really is the "Goldilocks" setting. Experiencing Euro MDM makes you realize how much we are getting short changed regarding MDM in North-America.

At the track
The car performed flawlessly with the tune. No noticeable increases in temperature and no faults. Again here, the car sounds more aggressive than before. I have the MPE, and it sounded very bassy at low revs and sang a very sweet music in the upper revs . The improved sound alone could be worth the tune. The Sport throttle mapping, which I use at the track, also felt very linear, precise and predictable. The increased redline to 8600RPM is probably the feature I enjoyed the most . It proved very useful to fully enjoy the entire power band of the engine. With the stock redline, I had to shift around 8200RPM to avoid hitting the limiter (I shift mostly by ear). Now I can aim for 8400RPM without the limiter cutting-in and the engine seems happy to be able to stretch its legs. It is not obvious to assess or feel if there is additional power at the track since there are so many other things to pay attention to. The car feels strong pulling out of corners and data logging shows that I was averaging 2-4mph faster at the end of the back straight (130-135mph range). But I also installed an underdrive pulley, so it not obvious to figure how much is coming from the pulley or the tune (or the cool weather). On that weekend, we had a mix of weather conditions, so I was able to experiment with street tires (PSS) and R-comps (NT01) on both wet and dry tracks. I run a square setup for my track tires, so I was curious to see how Euro MDM would react to them. Euro MDM was great on the wet track with both the street tires and R comps. It would allow more slip than the standard MDM while maintaining the peace of mind of a safety net. I had an incident on a wet track a few years ago; so I am now too chicken to run with the nannies off when there is water accumulation on the track. Euro MDM was very welcome for the wet track. However, on the dry track, I still found it way too intrusive with either tire to fully appreciate the limits of the car. If you want to trail brake, throttle steer and slide the car into position, DSC off is still the way to go. Further, after a few laps with MDM on the dry track, I could feel my brakes getting weaker. IMO, an indication that they were applied more than what I expected (I did not see the DSC light flash that much in the cluster). Turning DSC off brought back the brakes.

So overall I am very satisfied with the tune and code and would definitely recommend it. As many have said, it is the way the car should have come from the factory. Now reading all those cool reviews about the BPM DCT tune, it seems I will have to spend more money .

Thanks Mike and BPMSport .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-01-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Well thought out review. And I think it has more credibility than most reviews since it's coming from someone who really seems to understand the limits of the car :-).
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman View Post
Well thought out review. And I think it has more credibility than most reviews since it's coming from someone who really seems to understand the limits of the car :-).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
So I have had the BPMSport tune and code done about a month ago. I wanted to live with the tune for a little on both the daily drive and the track before I posted a review. I know there have been many reviews, but I still thought I should share my impressions. I will also share my views on Euro vs US MDM. So here goes:

As many have said, the customer service is really good. I only have an iMac at home and no garage (I know, a car buff without a garage ), so I had to do a funky setup with a coffee table and the 21” iMac installed beside the car. I got all sorts of funny stares from many passersby . The coding and tune took less than one hour and it was a pleasure dealing with Mike .

The coding I got mostly for the Euro-MDM. The other features Mike did for me were simply an added bonus; but in the end, they still make the car more enjoyable .

Daily drive
The car feels much better with the tune . The engine sounds deeper and much more refined when cruising, almost quieter. But when you open the throttles it sounds more aggressive and sharper than before, “angry” seems to be the most appropriate term. The revised throttle mapping, both in normal and sport, also feels more natural compared to the stock setup. I just realized I never tried Sport+ since the tune, however I don’t think I will really need it. The engine just feels more responsive and is more enjoyable driving around. From the seat of the pants, the car definitely feels torquier in the mid range. I am talking WOT acceleration here, so it is not a throttle mapping thing. I have always found my wife’s V8 S4 to have more mid-range torque when just accelerating from top gear compared to my M3. Driving her car the other day, I had the opposite feeling, where now the M3 seems to pull harder in the mid range. I know, it is all very subjective, but the car does feel better and to me that is worth the money . Euro-MDM is really a blast on the street. It allows just enough slip to better enjoy the car while still keeping a decent safety net for that unforeseen moment. It will allow the tail to step out slightly, but you still cannot properly kick the tail out or do a “drift” since it will intervene to bring the tail back in. So for real tail out fun, you still need to turn DSC off . For quick accelerations, Euro-MDM seems much better calibrated and allows just enough wheel spin for a good launch . Experiencing Euro MDM makes you realize how much we are getting short changed regarding MDM in North-America.

At the track
The car performed flawlessly with the tune. No noticeable increases in temperature and no faults. Again here, the car sounds more aggressive than before. I have the MPE, and it sounded very bassy at low revs and sang a very sweet music in the upper revs . The improved sound alone could be worth the tune. The Sport throttle mapping, which I use at the track, also felt very linear, precise and predictable. The increased redline to 8600RPM is probably the feature I enjoyed the most . It proved very useful to fully enjoy the entire power band of the engine. With the stock redline, I had to shift around 8200RPM to avoid hitting the limiter (I shift mostly by ear). Now I can aim for 8400RPM without the limiter cutting-in and the engine seems happy to be able to stretch its legs. It is not obvious to assess or feel if there is additional power at the track since there are so many other things to pay attention to. The car feels strong pulling out of corners and data logging shows that I was averaging 2-4mph faster at the end of the back straight (130-135mph range). But I also installed an underdrive pulley, so it not obvious to figure how much is coming from the pulley or the tune (or the cool weather). On that weekend, we had a mix of weather conditions, so I was able to experiment with street tires (PSS) and R-comps (NT01) on both wet and dry tracks. I run a square setup for my track tires, so I was curious to see how Euro MDM would react to them. Euro MDM was great on the wet track with both the street tires and R comps. It would allow more slip than the standard MDM while maintaining the peace of mind of a safety net. I had an incident on a wet track a few years ago; so I am now too chicken to run with the nannies off when there is water accumulation on the track. Euro MDM was very welcome for the wet track. However, on the dry track, I still found it way too intrusive with either tire to fully appreciate the limits of the car. If you want to trail brake, throttle steer and slide the car into position, DSC off is still the way to go. Further, after a few laps with MDM on the dry track, I could feel my brakes getting weaker. IMO, an indication that they were applied more than what I expected (I did not see the DSC light flash that much in the cluster). Turning DSC off brought back the brakes.

So overall I am very satisfied with the tune and code and would definitely recommend it. As many have said, it is the way the car should have come from the factory. Now reading all those cool reviews about the BPM DCT tune, it seems I will have to spend more money .

Thanks Mike and BPMSport .
Very good review. Welcome to the Team BPM Sport
      07-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great review, I can also attest to how great the car feels, especially with the opportunity to do daily Autobahn driving (with both the Stage 2 Tune and DCT Software)! This past weekend we took a trip to Slovenia to visit Akrapovic and was very impressed (along with a few other members) how in sync the DCT software is to the Stage 2 Tune...
BPM + Akra = Winning!!!
      07-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

gr8 review
      07-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

+1
Another very happy customer of the BPM tune....like i'm too
Very nice review man
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Thanks guys!! Glad you're all enjoying

We'll let you know when some of the new goodies are released officially.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Thanks guys!! Glad you're all enjoying

We'll let you know when some of the new goodies are released officially.
.....what kind of goodies are we potentially speaking of here?
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
witch craft and magic
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
witch craft and magic
I think the millennium falcon from the AA thread is more exciting

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0