BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I have a 55lb yellow lab female myself, and I take here back and forth from Houston to Austin in the back seat all the time. I use a bed sheet that covers the entire back seat and towel on top of that to protect the seats from her claws. Have been doing it for years in my previous B5 S4 and e39 M5, not a big deal at all, just have to vacuum up the hair as soon as you get to your destination. The only problem is cleaning her nose prints off the windows b/c she likes to sit up and look out the window for most of the drive.

And for the guys that gasp at this, come on its not a Ferrari, its an M3! Whats the point of having seats back there if you're not going to use them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
dak125
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joakym View Post
my 170lb. newfie just won't physically fit in the car and I'm afraid he might eat it .... the car i mean.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
iBEEM
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Pug

We have a 23 lb. pug who is a frequent road trip companion (we only have the M here in NYC)... Funny thing is he falls right asleep in the back seat of the E90M, where he used to get so excited in the E550 we had before. I guess the road feel and noise lulls him right to sleep. The thing about a pug is that all they want in life is to sit in your lap and lick your face... He doesn't realize how dangerous that is on the road!

Anyway, we have a harness that hooks into the seat belt to keep him in place. I bought w cheap carpet from Walmart and cut it to the shape of the backseat to protect the leather. Works perfectly...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
hoganzdad
Rep
Drives: '09 e92, IB/Beige, M-DCT

Our 80 pound pointer rides with me on occasion. As someone else said, cover the backseat with a throwrug and a towel, put something large (like a duffel bag) in one of the seats so he/she will stay in the other bucket and, in no time, he/she will curl up in that seat and go to sleep...except when you rev the engine. Then your dog will think your car is growling!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganzdad View Post
Our 80 pound pointer rides with me on occasion. As someone else said, cover the backseat with a throwrug and a towel, put something large (like a duffel bag) in one of the seats so he/she will stay in the other bucket and, in no time, he/she will curl up in that seat and go to sleep...except when you rev the engine. Then your dog will think your car is growling!
Yep. My Jack goes right to sleep once she gets in the car. She doesn't seem to care about the engine revs--but hard cornering--that's not her bag and she makes that pretty clear.

The duffel bag trick works and if you add to that the padded safety harness that hooks up to the seatbelt your dog is going to stay put and safe. That keeps the dog from moving around and keeps the dog and you safe (it acts as a childseat to keep him/her in place) should you get in an accident or have to brake hard.

The harness thing is pretty cheap and works very well--which I found out when some jerk cut me off and I had to slam on the brakes. My dog didn't bounce off the seat back or fly into the front of the car. She was fine (except for the WTF look had on her face).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #28
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

Echoing the above: I adore our dogs (we have 3). Not for the M3 - or other Bimmers for that matter.

We bought a minivan to transport our furry family. Dogs like it and when they throw up it's not an issue

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #29
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

My boxer hasn't been in the M3 yet...i tend to use the FJ Cruiser for Doggy "Duty". If i had to have him in it...i would do it, but only after carefully covering the back with sheets and towels. I'm thinking of getting one of those doggie duffles though, looks pretty cool!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #30
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

I'm sorry, but the possibility (slight as it may be) of a dog having explosive diarrhea or puking all over the place trumps my desire to give my dogs a ride in the M3. Yes, you can put towels, sheets, mats, whatever down, but I've had some pretty nasty experiences in the past 12 years of dog ownership. I love my dogs though, they are family.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #31
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///austin View Post
Guys,

This may be silly to ask, but I thought I should inquire.

My wife is thinking about adopting a 3 year old yellow labrador (already trained) and I'm fine with it. However, I'm wondering how that would work with our cars. I have an M3 coupe and she has a 328i convertible.

Do any of you have large dogs that you put in your back seat? Do you use seat covers or a product you have purchased somewhere?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. I'm just trying to factor everything to make sure we make the right decision.

Thanks!

Austin
Is this a joke? You could be arrested and put in jail a really long time for putting a dog in an M3. DO NOT DO IT!

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

I have two black half-labs and I've never taken them for a drive in the M3. That's what my hatch-back is for!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #33
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
If it's more than a car to you then i suggest you check your priorities.
If you want to trash the inside of your car, that's of no concern to me, however, I've come to the conclusion that most dog owners really need to check their priorities.
I come to this conclusion nearly every day when I'm inside my home, with all my doors and windows shut, and have to listen to barking dogs. If you say something to them, I have yet to meet a dog owner who reacts in any way other than hostility to a polite reminder that I don't want to listen to their dog barking when I'm trying to sleep.
I come to this conclusion when I have to clean dogshit off my shoes after walking in MY yard.
I come to this conclusion nearly every day after yet another dog has bit/mauled/attacked someone and have to listen to some idiot owner quoted saying his dog has never hurt anyone before, he's a really a nice dog, etc.
I come to this conclusion when a co-worker, who is in debt up to his eyeballs, spends $10,000 in medical bills on a 15 year old dog.
I could go on... but I know it's pointless. All the dog lovers out there are ready to string me up already, but my point is, dog owners are generally the last people on earth that need to say anything to anybody about priorities.
Flame on!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
If you want to trash the inside of your car, that's of no concern to me, however, I've come to the conclusion that most dog owners really need to check their priorities.
I come to this conclusion nearly every day when I'm inside my home, with all my doors and windows shut, and have to listen to barking dogs. If you say something to them, I have yet to meet a dog owner who reacts in any way other than hostility to a polite reminder that I don't want to listen to their dog barking when I'm trying to sleep.
I come to this conclusion when I have to clean dogshit off my shoes after walking in MY yard.
I come to this conclusion nearly every day after yet another dog has bit/mauled/attacked someone and have to listen to some idiot owner quoted saying his dog has never hurt anyone before, he's a really a nice dog, etc.
I come to this conclusion when a co-worker, who is in debt up to his eyeballs, spends $10,000 in medical bills on a 15 year old dog.
I could go on... but I know it's pointless. All the dog lovers out there are ready to string me up already, but my point is, dog owners are generally the last people on earth that need to say anything to anybody about priorities.
Flame on!
OW!! Dog hater in the house. I guess the same could be said for human beings. My dog brings more joy to my life than any other single thing. That is NOT a hyperbolic statement!!

That said, love of my life number 1 will NEVER go in love of my life number 2!!!
Attached Images

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #35
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post
OW!! Dog hater in the house. I guess the same could be said for human beings. My dog brings more joy to my life than any other single thing. That is NOT a hyperbolic statement!!

That said, love of my life number 1 will NEVER go in love of my life number 2!!!
Nope, not a dog hater. I'm the guy that goes to someone's house and ends up with their dog (or cat) in my lap and the owner looking on in amazement saying, "Wow! he/she doesn't usually take to other people like that". I've had pets off and on all my life. I like animals. Just not impressed with the responsibility level (and priorities) of most humans when it comes to their pets. And when you justifiy your behavior by saying your pet brings you more joy than anything else in your life, that is exactly what I am talking about... Priorities are what are out of whack. BTW, that's a nice looking dog.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 05-05-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Flame on!

First of all, my post was pointed at someone that sounds like they squeeze one off every night in the garage before they go to bed. The priority checking was to ensure someone doesn't mistake a crap load of nuts, bolts, sheet metal, glass, and rubber for something more than a car.

That being said, the inside of my car gets trashed more by two legged animals than my dog.
I'll beat my dog's ass for no-reason barking and i've called animal control on my neighbors' dogs for nuisance barking.
My dog doesn't shit in your yard. He shits in my yard.
My dog loves people, has never bitten anyone, and won't even bite you... despite me commanding him to do so.
My dog likely has cancer according to the vet, but i don't know for sure because i see no reason to have a biopsy done. You can see the lump on his rear leg in the pic i posted. If he does have cancer, he'll be meeting Jesus sooner than i had planed.

Again, my post about priorities was pointed at someone who thinks the M3 is more than "just a car". I am not implying that everyone should go buy 3 dogs who bark all the time, shit in your yard, eat other people's kids; then spend $10k on life saving surgery for them and shove them in their car.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 05-05-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I got my dog after my m3 .....

The m3 is now gone and i have a X5

I had the rear cover and although it was pretty good, its just a PIA ... and the dog hated lying across that center console in the rear (I had the coupe)

So far this dog I got from the animal shelter has cost me a arm and a leg ... and a new car .. but its worth it :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #38
Akatsuki
Rep
Drives: 09 x5

you're a good man
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #39
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Like any of us has never had a "Dog" in our cars before....Riiiiight

usually she ride in the wagon or the gti. but she has ridden in the trunk of my M3 with the rear seats folded down, once or twice.
      05-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #40
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Its a shame they didn't do the M5 Wagon/Touring in the USA .... I would have being first in line if they did !
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #41
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

Actually, as a 2-dog owner and a 2-BMW owner, I think it's fair to question the priorities on BOTH sides of this issue.

Is it irrational to spend $10,000 on vet bills? Sure. The same way it's irrational to spend $10,000 PER MONTH on nursing home bills when your mom gets dementia. Why not just put the dog on a leash and send her and Mom out into the woods to die inexpensively?

Is it irrational to spend $60,000 to $70,000 on a 2-door car with lousy gas mileage? Absolutely. If I had any brains at all I'd be driving a Prius and a Corolla instead of an M3 and an X5.

People who don't like cars just don't get it. And people who don't like dogs don't get it. But a lot of us do. Life is too short. Dogs make me happy. Cars make me happy. I can afford to indulge myself on both counts, so I will. (But the dogs aren't riding in the M as long as I have another car!)
2008 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #42
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
People who don't like cars just don't get it. And people who don't like dogs don't get it. But a lot of us do. Life is too short. Dogs make me happy. Cars make me happy. I can afford to indulge myself on both counts, so I will. (But the dogs aren't riding in the M as long as I have another car!)

+1

Just as Mystic get pissed off by dogs crapping on his lawn, I'm sure others get pissed he drives a polluting V8. All about perspective. Regarding the lawn, I agree, even as a dog owner I get pissed with cat and dog shit on my lawns.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #43
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I have a pitbull and a lab. I let the pitbull in my car all the time but the lab is a no go. They are both well behaved but the lab just simply sheds too much hair.

It's hard to say no to her.. hahah
      05-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #44
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
+1

Just as Mystic get pissed off by dogs crapping on his lawn, I'm sure others get pissed he drives a polluting V8. All about perspective. Regarding the lawn, I agree, even as a dog owner I get pissed with cat and dog shit on my lawns.
understood. its the job of the human to pick up after his 4 legged friend.
Appreciate 0