BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Top-of-the-range Lexus gets a limited slip diff, plus other improvements

A series of improvements has been rolled out across the Lexus IS range, and the halo model IS-F gets a Torsen limited slip diff. Despite the fact that the 417bhp 5-litre V8 remains unchanged, the revised car gets around the Fuji International Speedway 2sec a lap quicker than the previous car according to Lexus’s own figures.

Considering that in most comparison tests the M3 is roughly 2~3 seconds quicker on tracks of similar duration this should place the improved IS-F right up there in acceleration. Only it's looks are the sticking point now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Hmmm +1 Footie - Lexus has a lot of ground to make up to the looks of the M3
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Cool info!

I was very close the getting the IS F before I got my M3.

Unfortunately, it only took one test drive to understand that its driving experience wasn't up to par for me. And it most probably still isn't despite now getting the few upgrades to make it faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

interesting news.....

i'd still take the M3 anyday......
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

As a former F owner I think this is a good upgrade to a really nice car. The 2010 IS-F is also getting the new Lexus HD nav. One thing I don't like about the new IS-F is the redesigned wheels. I really like the wheels on my 2008 model, but the new ones are a little to much for my taste.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

The ISF didn't have a LSD before? wow..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Out of curosity, what were the reasons you sold the IS-F to get the M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
As a former F owner I think this is a good upgrade to a really nice car. The 2010 IS-F is also getting the new Lexus HD nav. One thing I don't like about the new IS-F is the redesigned wheels. I really like the wheels on my 2008 model, but the new ones are a little to much for my taste.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Out of curosity, what were the reasons you sold the IS-F to get the M3??
I sold the IS-F because of money. I had paid cash for the car and started feeling guilty because my wife really wanted a swimming pool for her and the kids to enjoy while she is off during the summer. I sold the F and built the pool for my wife.

After going a bit without a car to play with I decided to rectify the situation even if it meant having a car payment. Since I have wanted an M3 for a number of years I decided to order one. The M I test drove seemed a little lighter on its feet than the F. I'm expecting the overall driving experience to be more involving with the BMW. I think I will miss the interior of the Lexus which was well laid out and was just a tight the day I sold it as day one. My kids will appreciate the larger back seat of the M even though they rarely ride in my car.

Once my E90 arrives and I get past the break in I plan to write up a comparison. I hope I like the M3 better, but I can't guarantee I will because of how much I enjoyed the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Well, M3 is definitely the "benchmark of the class" so you would definitely like it. M3 is indeed lighter on its feet because it weighs over 200 lbs less.

Having driven both, you will probably feel a difference in the low end torque in the city driving when you use only 2000 - 3000 rpm (300 ft-lbs vs 371 ft-lbs) and the stock exhaust on M3 is quieter, but aftermarket exhausts make it sound like a muscle car mixed with F1 racing car, but the quick revving nature of the M3, sound and the brute thrust from 6000 rpm to 8400 rpm will make you forget the IS-F.

Quote:
I sold the IS-F because of money. I had paid cash for the car and started feeling guilty because my wife really wanted a swimming pool for her and the kids to enjoy while she is off during the summer. I sold the F and built the pool for my wife.

After going a bit without a car to play with I decided to rectify the situation even if it meant having a car payment. Since I have wanted an M3 for a number of years I decided to order one. The M I test drove seemed a little lighter on its feet than the F. I'm expecting the overall driving experience to be more involving with the BMW. I think I will miss the interior of the Lexus which was well laid out and was just a tight the day I sold it as day one. My kids will appreciate the larger back seat of the M even though they rarely ride in my car.

Once my E90 arrives and I get past the break in I plan to write up a comparison. I hope I like the M3 better, but I can't guarantee I will because of how much I enjoyed the Lexus.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

MAke no mistake. I've test driven both, and I strongly feel the M3 is a much more athletic beast. The M3's driving experience is on a totaly different level.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Top-of-the-range Lexus gets a limited slip diff, plus other improvements

A series of improvements has been rolled out across the Lexus IS range, and the halo model IS-F gets a Torsen limited slip diff. Despite the fact that the 417bhp 5-litre V8 remains unchanged, the revised car gets around the Fuji International Speedway 2sec a lap quicker than the previous car according to Lexus’s own figures.

Considering that in most comparison tests the M3 is roughly 2~3 seconds quicker on tracks of similar duration this should place the improved IS-F right up there in acceleration. Only it's looks are the sticking point now.

It was more than a 2~3 second gap.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_16.html

I guess it is now on par with a C63 around a track, not the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Nurburgring Laptimes:

M3: 8:05
IS-F: 8:20

I doubt the LSD is going to bring the times much closer other than a couple of tenths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

That's great news. Honestly, I think every RWD car should come with a LSD. I hope that pushes mercedes to put LSD in the C63 as stock equipment.
      09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:

What color was your F? And what kind of Gas mileage did you see? I saw a silver one last week on the freeway and man it looks Great in silver. Jeebus what a aggressive looking car indeed.
      09-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #15
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Nurburgring Laptimes:

I doubt the LSD is going to bring the times much closer other than a couple of tenths.
Keep in mind that you can't compare Fuji International Speedway and the Ring lap times.

Fuji speedway is like a driveway distance compare to the Ring.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Keep in mind that you can't compare Fuji International Speedway and the Ring lap times.

Fuji speedway is like a driveway distance compare to the Ring.
Thats why I compared the 2.83 mile Fuji speedway to the 2.74 mile Reno-Fernley Raceway.

The IS-F was slower than the C63 around the track, and more than the quoted 2~3 seconds behind the M3.

So simply adding a LSD to the IS-F will not bring it to M3 lap times. Good try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
That's great news. Honestly, I think every RWD car should come with a LSD. I hope that pushes mercedes to put LSD in the C63 as stock equipment.
Mercedes does offer a LSD in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

Fuji is a track that will produce a time of around 2 minutes in something like the IS-F, it's of similar length to that of the Hockenheim GP course which with the IS-F takes 2:04.45, if what Lexus are say is true and on a roughly 2 minute lap the improved IS-F will shed 2 seconds then that would mean a lap time of 2:02.45 which is remarkably similar to the E90 M3 at 2:02.71.

Hopefully you can see my point now.

Though to put it frankly I don't understand some of the defence comments on this forum, what is exactly wrong with another competitor's car being as good as an M3, there is a lot more an just performance to the decision process, well it is for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nurburgring Laptimes:

The IS-F time for the ring is actually 8:18 (sorry for correcting you) and to be honest I doubt that a slip would drop this by 13 seconds as there is much more important things which would need to be done as well as a LSD, if suspension tweaks are included as part of the overall changes then it's possible that it could be close. But as I said above, that is much more than pure performance figures in decided a new car, even when the cars in question are performance versions.

P.S.
On a similar note, I would love to know what's the difference between the S4 and the S5, the Audi S5 posted something like 8:25 in it's basic form and I would love to know how much of an improvement all that new technology (Sportsdiff, adaptive suspension, adaptive steering and DSG) plus the lighter torquier V6 will make. If it's 10 whole seconds better then every one of those options would be money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I think the IS-F looks very aggressive and I do like it. More than the M3? No, but it still looks very nice to me. I do also like the new 2010 wheels, look great for stock! I just wonder, with the IS-F and the C63, with all that torque, why do they only use 255mm rubber in the rear? I easily broke traction with 265's in the rear with the M3's 295tq, I can't imagine 371/440tq with 255s...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Damn, I thought they'd eventually fit a 9 speed autobox....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #21
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Damn, I thought they'd eventually fit a 9 speed autobox....
LOL I wonder when the day will come when we see a 10 speed slushie

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #22
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
What color was your F? And what kind of Gas mileage did you see? I saw a silver one last week on the freeway and man it looks Great in silver. Jeebus what a aggressive looking car indeed.
Mine was Mercury Metallic (silver). I averaged between 18 and 19 mpg. On the highway with the cruise set around 75mph I would get 26 mpg. I was very impressed with the gas mileage considering the performance of the car. It also kept the F from getting hit with a gas guzzler tax.
Appreciate 0