BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Vent! handicap parking

Gents,

A moment of your time please. Maybe i'm off here but here goes. Pulling in to my parking garage where I live today there is a large, jacked trk in front of me. I blow off that he is speeding in the parking garage he then proceeds to park his giant truck in a handicap spot(well marked). a pet peeve of mine as they are for people who need them. Not a 22 year old healthy yet lazy male.

I say "Sir, that is a handicap parking space, he retorts I know, I'm going to move it later." His reply was disingenous at best, so I said "stupid doesn't count as handicap" My mistake for saying that though. I proceed to the office to inform them and let them handle it. It had the effect though, he was moving his truck.

Just venting I suppose, but i know that injured people DO need those spots. Not lazy capable people.

Tks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

you're lucky he didn't kick your ass on the spot
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Im also going to vent...Why do lazy obese people get handicap tags? They should be required to park in the farthest spot away
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
maybe because I was in ACU's bottoms after a 8 mile ruck sack march with some other guys from my old cav scout unit. It would have been a pleasure to add a dose of physical reinforcement to discourage bad behaivor.

He was the lazy Ahole parked there.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

You should have let the police cite him, rather than confront him. Most handicap tags are in the hundreds
      03-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Physical violence should be the expected response to telling someone that they are doing something illegal/immoral/unethical?

If more people had a spine and actually stepped up and said something like the OP did, maybe there wouldn't be so many selfish douchebags thinking they can do whatever they please.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Op ftw
      03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep

Thanks Gents, It's the moral aspect that offends me so much. Don't do the right thing because government tells you to. Do it becuase it's the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

I've seen lifted trucks park in handicap spots before. One in particular was lifted so high you'd think the driver needs a ladder to climb up. Obviously no handicap person would be able to get in that truck but it had the handicap placard
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

the handicap system in the US is a joke. Plenty of people that honestly deserve them but PLENTY of people that do not.

lazy asses.
      03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
maybe because I was in ACU's bottoms after a 8 mile ruck sack march with some other guys from my old cav scout unit. It would have been a pleasure to add a dose of physical reinforcement to discourage bad behaivor.

He was the lazy Ahole parked there.
LOL. I too spent my first 7 years in the Military as a 19D... Scouts Out!! Now I am an 11B (L) cause I wanted to get that Ranger tab. Although I DO understand that violence is not ALWAYS the solution, perhaps if He did decide to get out of line, a lesson in MACP might have earned him the right to park there after all... lol

I agree with you OP, we should strive to do what is right not because it is the rule, but because it is in fact the right thin to do, period.
      03-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
DavidJS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35is

I completely agree with the OP, and with all the additional posts. However, let me add a slightly different perspective.

I am just now getting over cervical spine and knee surgery. The spine surgery was a result of compression of the spine around my spinal column, which made it difficult for me to walk and use my hands. The surgery stopped that process, and seems to be correcting it slowly. The doctor gave me a letter so I could get a handicap placard, which I've been using.

Lately, I'm well enough that I can walk pretty well at least for a short distance, and just yesterday ventured out without my cane for the first time. I went with my son to a local mall in my new Z4. I parked in a handicapped spot, and placed the placard on the rear-view mirror post. My son & I got out & started walking into the mall. Some self-righteous bastard walking near us started "lecturing" his partner loudly about people who use handicap spots but don't need them. I guess he thought I was walking too well. His moral exposition went on all the way into the mall. Since my son was with me, and since my neck and knee are still quite fragile, I wanted to avoid a hostile confrontation, so I just ignored him.

Still, it occurred to me that I don't need to justify to some stranger why I park in a handicap spot. This guy knows absolutely nothing about me, and is just jumping to a conclusion based on very little information. He was probably also pissed off that I was driving a really nice car.

I'm definitely not saying anyone posting above is wrong. As I said, I totally agree with what has been said. It's just that sometimes things are not as simple as they seem. Of course, I'm not driving some jacked-up truck either.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You should just call the cops. In all likelihood this douche has a history and could probably be in it deeper than you think.
      03-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

well done! theres not anough people like you outhere, and thats A SHAME.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Fat is also not a handicap. Pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

I don't have a problem with handicapped parking spaces, there are some people that genuinely need them, what really bugs me about handicapped parking is in most instances they don't have to pay for it, if a person can buy a car and drive it, they pay for the road tax and the fuel, they should at the very least have to pay for there parking, everyone else does.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
the handicap system in the US is a joke. Plenty of people that honestly deserve them but PLENTY of people that do not.

lazy asses.
This. I see plenty of able bodied gangstas in their blinged out SUV's parking in handicap spots, placards most likely gotten from their parents or grandparents. Usually parked at a 35* angle from the lines as well making it tough for an actual handicapped person to get out of their car in the next spot, even with the buffer zone.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Quote:
      03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
I completely agree with the OP, and with all the additional posts. However, let me add a slightly different perspective.

I am just now getting over cervical spine and knee surgery. The spine surgery was a result of compression of the spine around my spinal column, which made it difficult for me to walk and use my hands. The surgery stopped that process, and seems to be correcting it slowly. The doctor gave me a letter so I could get a handicap placard, which I've been using.

Lately, I'm well enough that I can walk pretty well at least for a short distance, and just yesterday ventured out without my cane for the first time. I went with my son to a local mall in my new Z4. I parked in a handicapped spot, and placed the placard on the rear-view mirror post. My son & I got out & started walking into the mall. Some self-righteous bastard walking near us started "lecturing" his partner loudly about people who use handicap spots but don't need them. I guess he thought I was walking too well. His moral exposition went on all the way into the mall. Since my son was with me, and since my neck and knee are still quite fragile, I wanted to avoid a hostile confrontation, so I just ignored him.

Still, it occurred to me that I don't need to justify to some stranger why I park in a handicap spot. This guy knows absolutely nothing about me, and is just jumping to a conclusion based on very little information. He was probably also pissed off that I was driving a really nice car.

I'm definitely not saying anyone posting above is wrong. As I said, I totally agree with what has been said. It's just that sometimes things are not as simple as they seem. Of course, I'm not driving some jacked-up truck either.
You have a very valid point. Although I agree with people being put in there place for doing immoral things, or at least understanding that when you "play" you should be ready to "pay"... but as you have stated, none of us can fully be aware of an individual's personal situation from a simple observation.

I can admit that when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I was quick to fly off the handle and try to put people in their place if I felt that I was personally offended or insulted... but I will havew to also admit that there were a few times that during my countless righteous outrages, i was actually put in MY place and or felt silly aftewards because i didn't know the full situation before I called myself asking for justice.

It is as you said, David JS.... we should all get all of the facts before we decide who is who. However, the fact of the matter is because not everyone thinks this way, we will all continue to come accross people who make us feel the same way the OP felt when he decided to post this thread.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
      03-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
DavidJS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35is

Thank you, Samurai, for your kind remarks. (Sorry, I didn't see your post until today).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

I cannot stand it when an able bodied person parks in a handicap spot. No respect or brains whatsoever.

On a side note, you gotta know for certain. I once saw a guy parked in the handicap spot and he was loading something into his car. He appeared to be quite healthy. I forget exactly where I was but I was talking with someone else and I was about to pull out my video camera and get in the guys face and give him hell when the person I was talking to said "Oh yeah _______ comes in all the time, he lost one of his legs". I slumped back into my car and said.. oh.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Mentally handicapped.
Appreciate 0