BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

The M3 truly requires a good driver to really make it shine!

I love the M3 dearly, as much as I love my measly 135i. I've had a few runs with some e92's, and driven a couple pretty hard...fascinating cars.

Yesterday, just by coincidence, a black e92 M3 and I played a little, and as been the case previously, I was able to keep up and start to pull on him.... But I know for a fact that with a good driver that knows this car's sweet spot, it would spank me if need be.

My original thoughts were that the M3 would truly shine on the turns, but seems to me that even in straight line, if a driver really knows the shift points and power curves of this car, it can really make it a beast.

I was looking at the modded ACSchnitzer 135i vs stock e92 times at the nurburging, and what really jumped out of me was not the times on the turns, but the STRAIGHT LINE times!!

Specially, the 1st sector (which is a straight line from a dig) where the M3 pulls a good second on the car, and then sector 5, (straigh line from a roll) where it pulls an astonishing 2 seconds!!

thats outstanding!!!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

60 views and nobody has any comments on how the straight lines on sectors 1 and 5 did?

any technical explanations are appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I posted that track pic in the 'R8/M3 which is faster' thread, LOL didn't know you had it here already.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

the M3 is fast. faster than a modded 135i.
      03-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
the M3 is fast. faster than a modded 135i.
well, that depends on how modded said 135i is, but yeah, for the mostpart.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I find it incredible that the AC Schnitzer 135i was quicker in all the the technic sections than the M3, yes there a slight weight difference but it's not really big enough to suggest that it's the real reason for the improvement. I'm of the belief that Schnitzer suspension setup is probably superior.

Is it known whether it's equipped with a LSD?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I find it incredible that the AC Schnitzer 135i was quicker in all the the technic sections than the M3, yes there a slight weight difference but it's not really big enough to suggest that it's the real reason for the improvement. I'm of the belief that Schnitzer suspension setup is probably superior.

A friend of mine drives a ACS 135i and afaik it has the OEM 'electronical lsd' specialy invented for the 135i/123d coupe, it almost works as a real lsd but still isn't.

I'll ask him to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Yesterday, just by coincidence, a black e92 M3 and I played a little, and as been the case previously, I was able to keep up and start to pull on him.... But I know for a fact that with a good driver that knows this car's sweet spot, it would spank me if need be.
Still trying to make your 1 series relevant? Bragging about your driving skills? Yeah, I would be the one that would spank you in your little 1, but I wouldn't give you the time of day. Not worth my time.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
This reminds me of a funny story last weekend. This Z4 was riding my ass from the Autobahn all the way to the Nurburgring like he's hot shit. At the Ring, I was going to drive right in and do a lap but they had changed the ticket system which required me to buy a new pass. Parked the car, went to the ticket booth bought my new pass, saw the Z4 enter the track. I leisurely walked back to the car, got in, got through the gate and giving the guy a 2 minute head start, I passed him before the halfway marker. It was too funny. I have other stories also, it involved a 997 GT3RS, and the other involved a AMG C63, the short version is I smoked them on the track. You are just stating the obvious that the driver > car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
A friend of mine drives a ACS 135i and afaik it has the OEM 'electronical lsd' specialy invented for the 135i/123d coupe, it almost works as a real lsd but still isn't.

I'll ask him to be sure.
It all depends on how the electronic LSD behaves (if) that is the case. There is some very good versions out there that behave remarkably like a proper LSD so I wouldn't rule this out if it indeed has this form of slip.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've driven in a ACS 135i, and the suspension is obviously better than stock, but nowhere near a good Coilover setup. Powerwise, the tune itself is comparable to a "Dinan" flash, but wont come close to something like a JB3 or Procede V3. And there is no LSD on it.

I'm like you, i'm stomped on how the predicted times are "reversed" here...I surely predicted the M3 to gain some time around the turns, and expected the 135i to gain speed on the straights, but it's actually the other way around!!!

The only conclusion plausible to me is that the DCT + launch control on the M3, in addition to a driver really knowing the powerband sweetspot of the M, can really take it to some serious performance!!

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I take it the same person drove all the cars listed in this test, if so then differing driver ability is taken out of the equation or should I say that the driver must feel more confident in the 135i compared to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I take it the same person drove all the cars listed in this test, if so then differing driver ability is taken out of the equation or should I say that the driver must feel more confident in the 135i compared to the M3.
i'm not sure...i dont speak german so I dont know, but supposedly this is at the same time, same track, etc.

Either way, this is even more impressive for the M3...

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
well, that depends on how modded said 135i is, but yeah, for the mostpart.
for the times listed on this thread.
      03-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
It all depends on how the electronic LSD behaves (if) that is the case. There is some very good versions out there that behave remarkably like a proper LSD so I wouldn't rule this out if it indeed has this form of slip.
This ACS 135i in the test was equipped with the stock OEM 'electronic lsd' I 've been told by my ACS 135i friend. His ACS still has that electronic diff but plans on getting a real mechanical ACS lsd which should make the ACS 135 a tad faster on a track accellerating out of slower bends...

i've tried that e diff on a stock 135i and it's nice but not yet a real //M ls diff or Drexler ls diff(better than //M diff)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
This ACS 135i in the test was equipped with the stock OEM 'electronic lsd' I 've been told by my ACS 135i friend. His ACS still has that electronic diff but plans on getting a real mechanical ACS lsd which should make the ACS 135 a tad faster on a track accellerating out of slower bends...

i've tried that e diff on a stock 135i and it's nice but not yet a real //M ls diff or Drexler ls diff(better than //M diff)
agreed

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

real mech lim slip diff >> electronic diff.
      03-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
real mech lim slip diff >> electronic diff.
exactly, which would logically make you think it was in the turns where the times were made..... but that's not the case, it was actually in the straights where the times were made.

this is the confusing part.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Without knowing all the facts (i.e. tyre choice on all cars) then us are guessing why the M3 was slower in the bits it should logically be quicker. RH is right in saying a mechanical diff is better but I don't think the difference is that great in road cars. I'm guessing the suspension is probably better suit to track use and less of a compromise as is the case with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

The results are not surprising - the 135s will have far superior mid-range torque, hence have a natural advantage accelerating out of any slow corners. This is reflected in the sector times. I'll bet the M3 carries more spped through the corners, it just loses time coming out of them...another factor could be brakes - anybody know if the 135s had brake upgrades?

The M3 has far more horsepower and at a higher RPM, so it will always be faster on straights and high speed sweepers...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
The results are not surprising - the 135s will have far superior mid-range torque, hence have a natural advantage accelerating out of any slow corners. This is reflected in the sector times. I'll bet the M3 carries more spped through the corners, it just loses time coming out of them...another factor could be brakes - anybody know if the 135s had brake upgrades?

The M3 has far more horsepower and at a higher RPM, so it will always be faster on straights and high speed sweepers...
that makes sense.
Appreciate 0