BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

02-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

@gasman or any others who can answer

I just got back from my dealership and I'm confused. Not sure if they're giving me the song and dance or telling me the truth.
Basically my car status is still 047, meaning No Allocation, and thus I went there to ream them out and possibly get back my deposit. My CA took me over to the New Car Sales manager and he showed me his list of current orders he had printed out in front of him. ALL of the M3s showed 047 except 1 coupe and 1 sedan (which I think were in 111 or 112 status). He says that BMWNA hasn't told him of any allocations yet. He's in the dark as much as me.

I don't see how a dealership as large as they are haven't gotten anything yet when I'm seeing production #s flying around on this forum. And I see people here calling random small dealerships and finding allocations. This is BMW of Houston North and BMW of Woodlands. Apparently they share the same owners and in terms of allocations, BMWNA treats them as a single dealership which they split 60/40. The first and only coupe that has a production # is the one in the Woodlands (they won the coin toss) and I assume that is gasman's.

Previously they told me there were 22 people with deposits in front of me, but today they clarified to say that includes both dealerships and also includes sedans and verts. They said I'm #6 when it comes to coupes. So even if they only get 2 coupes a month I shouldn't be far off. But how come they have no allocation yet?!

Can anyone enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

My theory is that official US production has not started/ramped up yet, and the cars that have been built so far are mainly dealer demo cars. This makes sense since, officially, US launch is in March. Some say the 8th others says the 28th. I am inclined to think it is the 28th because of the several members on this forum with Week 9 and 10 builds. Why produce cars way before the official launch only to hold onto them at ports? Week 9&10 builds should arrive just in time at the end of the month. Also, several sales people, including mine, will be attending a BMW organized driving event mid-March and get to experience the M3. Again, this suggests late March launch to me.

Anyway, that would explain why your dealer only has 2 allocations. If you think about every dealer getting 2-4 cars a month, it fits. They will probably get more allocation for weeks 12-14+ soon.

If you recently placed your deposit, which is my recollection, and have 6+ people ahead of you, you can't really expect delivery soon unless you get your deposit back and find another dealer with no customers. OCKid and Epacy did exactly that, and they are sitting on 112 orders, I think...

Just my $0.02 worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So you're thinking that everyone that is showing 112 or 150 status have the first or second allocations from their dealers? I'm just getting antsy because my order shows a 'requested' production of Week 10. However, not even having an allocation yet that doesn't seem realistic to me. So I was okay with getting my car in May, but if it's not going to even be built in March not sure when I'd get it.
If they get 2 two coupes a month but the first two count towards March, that means my car won't be built until May and then I'd get it in July? Gah. I guess I have to look in small towns for an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
I'm just getting antsy because my order shows a 'requested' production of Week 10.
Did you get a production #?
      02-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

yonkers,

I feel the same as you. My dealer called last friday and said he got allocation and asked me to spec out the car which I did. He entered the order on saturday. Yesterday I asked him about status code/production week and he said all he as is an order entry date, which means nothing...

I don't get how this works either. Why would you asker a customer to spec out a car but have no order acceptance from BMW after a week?
      02-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Did you get a production #?
No I don't. They don't even have allocation yet. That's why I'm status 047, which means an order has been requested but BMWNA has not allocated a car to fill that order. I don't think you get a production # this allocation is filled.
I just don't see how they can tell me that the car will be produced in the 10th week, yet here we are 3 weeks away and I don't even have confirmation that I will get a car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
My theory is that official US production has not started/ramped up yet, and the cars that have been built so far are mainly dealer demo cars. This makes sense since, officially, US launch is in March. Some say the 8th others says the 28th. I am inclined to think it is the 28th because of the several members on this forum with Week 9 and 10 builds. Why produce cars way before the official launch only to hold onto them at ports? Week 9&10 builds should arrive just in time at the end of the month. Also, several sales people, including mine, will be attending a BMW organized driving event mid-March and get to experience the M3. Again, this suggests late March launch to me.

Anyway, that would explain why your dealer only has 2 allocations. If you think about every dealer getting 2-4 cars a month, it fits. They will probably get more allocation for weeks 12-14+ soon.

If you recently placed your deposit, which is my recollection, and have 6+ people ahead of you, you can't really expect delivery soon unless you get your deposit back and find another dealer with no customers. OCKid and Epacy did exactly that, and they are sitting on 112 orders, I think...

Just my $0.02 worth.
The only person to ever say the 28th is Davo2003, and he heard that from his military rep (keeping in mind military and civilian sales are separate divisions). The 8th of March has come through me calling BMWNA several times and speaking to different representatives who all said March 8, emails sent to various members on the forum from BMWNA saying March 8, and the head of distribution at South Bay BMW telling me March 8. Also, more proof that launch is well before the 28th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
MARCH 12---5 weeks to go!!

BMW Performance Center Delivery
The Ultimate Delivery Experience™

Dear Mark,

We are excited you have chosen to take delivery of your new vehicle at the BMW Performance Center. Your delivery experience will be unlike any other in the automotive industry.

Your Performance Center Delivery for production number 392XXXX is scheduled for 3/12/2008. You will stay the evening prior to your delivery at the Greenville Marriott as our guest.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was under the impression that it was more than just Davo, but whatever. Yeah, if you are picking it up on the 12th, the launch is indeed the 8th then!

Regardless, that would still explain why they have not been building massive amounts of US cars in January, and February is probably still a transition month into full US production.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
I was under the impression that it was more than just Davo, but whatever. Yeah, if you are picking it up on the 12th, the launch is indeed the 8th then!
Sorry if I got a little testy, I've been having to repeat the same thing over and over to Davo without him understanding it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
Sorry if I got a little testy, I've been having to repeat the same thing over and over to Davo without him understanding it.
No worries. I haven't seen the above email regarding your PDC delivery. All in the interest of relaying accurate info.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
I received this email from BMW Customer Relations on 1/29/08 confirming the March 8 launch date:

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the actual delivery date of your new 2008 BMW M3 Coupe. Congratulations on your BMW purchase.

The launch date for the M3 is March 8, 2008 so your vehicle will not be delivered prior to that date. Please keep in mind that BMW does not offer an estimated timeline on vehicle production or date of delivery. I suggest contacting your client advisor for an estimated delivery date. They would be in the best position to give advice on the timeline of an order placed through their BMW center.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Darlene Hawley
Customer Relations and Services
Representative"
      02-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

I'm looking at my dealer sheets right now. there are 2 M3 in transit 3 waiting at the docks. 1 at 150 status, 8 at 112 status and 3 at 111 status. they also have so far 1 convert at 047 and 9 more m3's at 047. thats 27 total set for production by week 10 if not complete already. wish mine was one of the in transit ones *crys*

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wow, that's 5 cars already built. That's a lot. Your dealer must be a high volume operation. Walnut Creek is a really nice place. I've seen lots of BMWs there...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Unhappy Yonkers- I'm in Houston as well but for a Sedan...

well, I will need to wait much longer - I know Woodlands and Houston North are same dealership but surprised that Woodlands got the first allocation..was told it will be 60/40 in favor of Houston North.....anyway, I have a DCT Sedan so I'm looking at June/July timing if I am lucky..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #15
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
No I don't. They don't even have allocation yet. That's why I'm status 047, which means an order has been requested but BMWNA has not allocated a car to fill that order. I don't think you get a production # this allocation is filled.
I just don't see how they can tell me that the car will be produced in the 10th week, yet here we are 3 weeks away and I don't even have confirmation that I will get a car.
They aren't telling you this. You stated prior this is your "Requested Production Week" which is only a request, not the true production week. The real production week will state "Conf. Prod Week" or Confirmed Production Week.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
I just got back from my dealership and I'm confused. Not sure if they're giving me the song and dance or telling me the truth.
Basically my car status is still 047, meaning No Allocation, and thus I went there to ream them out and possibly get back my deposit. My CA took me over to the New Car Sales manager and he showed me his list of current orders he had printed out in front of him. ALL of the M3s showed 047 except 1 coupe and 1 sedan (which I think were in 111 or 112 status). He says that BMWNA hasn't told him of any allocations yet. He's in the dark as much as me.

I don't see how a dealership as large as they are haven't gotten anything yet when I'm seeing production #s flying around on this forum. And I see people here calling random small dealerships and finding allocations. This is BMW of Houston North and BMW of Woodlands. Apparently they share the same owners and in terms of allocations, BMWNA treats them as a single dealership which they split 60/40. The first and only coupe that has a production # is the one in the Woodlands (they won the coin toss) and I assume that is gasman's.

Previously they told me there were 22 people with deposits in front of me, but today they clarified to say that includes both dealerships and also includes sedans and verts. They said I'm #6 when it comes to coupes. So even if they only get 2 coupes a month I shouldn't be far off. But how come they have no allocation yet?!

Can anyone enlighten me?

I really wish I could shed some light on this situation. This seems strange to me that they have not received more allocations. It's not like these two dealerships are small. I seem to have gotten lucky with the coin toss. My guess is that once production starts ramping up these two dealerships will get 5-6 cars a month. I have been told for a year now that the Woodlands dealership alone should get 5 allocations per month. That is coming from a very trustworthy CA that used to work at the Woodlands, but now is at BMW North. Keep your head up bro. It may not hurt to call around to some of the smaller dealerships.
      02-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #17
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
I know Woodlands and Houston North are same dealership but surprised that Woodlands got the first allocation..was told it will be 60/40 in favor of Houston North
Houston North gets 60% of the allocations but not necessarily the first. Woodlands won the coin toss for the first car. Lucky for gasman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSgt B
They aren't telling you this. You stated prior this is your "Requested Production Week" which is only a request, not the true production week. The real production week will state "Conf. Prod Week" or Confirmed Production Week.
Yeah, I understand that. That was really my concern. How come I'm still not confirmed yet when the requested date is only 3 weeks away? Maybe it is common to get confirmation right before production. I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman
My guess is that once production starts ramping up these two dealerships will get 5-6 cars a month. I have been told for a year now that the Woodlands dealership alone should get 5 allocations per month.
I hope this is true. If that's the case then after the first batch of cars are gone at launch I'd be in the next grouping.

The question is, the cars that are already produced and ready for launch, do they count against the March allocations? Or should there be some more allocations to be handed out for actual March production?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
I don't get how this works either. Why would you asker a customer to spec out a car but have no order acceptance from BMW after a week?
The dealers have to work with the reps to get you a car, it's just like trying to get a table at a busy restaurant, gotta grease the skids.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
I just got back from my dealership and I'm confused. Not sure if they're giving me the song and dance or telling me the truth...BMWNA hasn't told him of any allocations yet. He's in the dark as much as me....They said I'm #6 when it comes to coupes. So even if they only get 2 coupes a month I shouldn't be far off. But how come they have no allocation yet?!

Can anyone enlighten me?
I was in the same boat, I suggest calling around to small-time dealers. Check out Xcellere's thread "official allocation finder" in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
well.....anyway, I have a DCT Sedan so I'm looking at June/July timing if I am lucky..
If you contact one of the members here "mikethmack" he can get you a March build sedan locked in. They have an allocation right now, last I heard. BMW of Stratham, NH (603) 772-0000

Quote:

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC kid View Post
If you contact one of the members here "mikethmack" he can get you a March build sedan locked in. They have an allocation right now, last I heard. BMW of Stratham, NH (603) 772-0000
Sedan's with M-DCT won't be built until mid May. Sedan's with 6MT are available in northeast and southeast (I've called).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by man02195 View Post
Sedan's with M-DCT won't be built until mid May. Sedan's with 6MT are available in northeast and southeast (I've called).
whoops, I sure glazed over where Johndoe mentioned DCT...

Here's the thread to the MT sedan that is available now...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
domer86
Trouble Maker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Yonkers check your PM
-M Audio with Enhanced Bass-I-pod/USB adapter
-19" Wheels-Rear Sunshade
Appreciate 0