BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

AKG Poly Differential Bushing vs Turner

Hey all,

I have the Turner Delrin Diff bushings in the car now and it is definitely not NVH friendly. To be exact is more noise unfriendly than anything else.

However, with that said, the work amazing; the car shifts nice with no deflection you would normally feel in the upper RPM range in the rear. I don't want to lose the feel but my wife won't stand for the whine/howl of the differential. There is not longer any movement of the rear diff but the transmission of noise is tremendous through the chassis.

I was wondering if anyone used the AKG Polyurethane bushings and what their experience was with it compared to stock or something like Turner's kit. I think I can get some of the benefit without so much noise (I don't mind the vibration or harshness).

Will the poly make a large difference vs stock? They both have aluminum sleeves in them and the poly should be stiffer than stock but I wonder if its enough to help with the feel to justify the change.

Any ideas to decrease the noise would also help if anyone has experience with this. I don't know if using dynamat under the car would help, but would be willing to try unless someone says I shouldn't.

Solid subframe bushings however are well worth it with minimal increase in NVH but a much more planted rear end. Don't hesitate to get it done...handle better and save the subframe...win win I think.

Any tips or suggestions are welcomed. I tried a search but came up with nothing.

Thanks,
Vin
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I've got the akg 75d in my e36 differential. It's made of very hard material (think bowling ball) and does transmit a bit of gear noise like you are describing. Sounds like stock might be the best material for you in that location.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Sounds like you need some harder than stock bushings but not as harsh as the solid bushings you have. I'd avoid polyurethane if possible as they need to be lubed regularly otherwise they will squeak.

Are there any motorsports grade upgraded rubber bushings available?
      05-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I use the AKG 95A bushings on my E36M3 and think they are fine. The 75D would not be as bad as delrin, but probably close to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

Thanks guys. I will try the 95D
Appreciate 0