BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
benton0311
Lance Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, Graphite

Has anybody driven a 2011 Mustang GT?

Just curious if anyone on here who is used to driving a BMW has driven the 2011 Mustang GT? I'm hearing nothing but great things about it. I'm really curious to see if Ford has finally gotten the refinement down, especially when it comes to steering and the balance of handling and ride quality. If you're inclined to believe the journalists' reviews it almost sounds like they have.

I'm looking at the fact that my 335i will probably need a fuel pump or ten at some point and the open diff is really getting to be annoying. I'd love to mod the car more than just a tune but if it will be spending half it's life at the dealership then what's the point.

I really have no brand loyalty to anything. One company makes a great product one year and the next year a competitor might make a better one so I'm no BMW or even German car loyalist. I would never consider owning a 328 or 330 while the 335 and 135 are probably the only non-M BMWs I'd ever be interested in.

If I traded my 335i in on a 2011 GT fully optioned my monthly payments would go down by $100 too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Do it. Same for me the only bmw that I care for are the 135-335-M3-M coupe beside that I dont care for the brand. The 135-335 are great daily but the mustang has something special. Everytime I see one I roll down my window and listen to it while the 135-335 mehhh...every is pushing one nowadays. In canada the mustang gt is 10K cheaper then what I paid for the 1er in 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 07-10-2010 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Drive one and you will be surprised. Miles ahead of the the previous Mustangs and for that matter anything Ford has put out in the past. Refinement is good but still not to a BMW standard. Then again that is why they don't cost $60k. For the money I would say it is one hell of a car. Stock the handling is pretty good. I prefer a firmer ride and stiffer sway bars. Both of which are cheap and easy fixes. The new 5.0 motor is a home run. I have only driven an automatic so I can't comment on the manual. The auto is the best Ford auto I have driven but I do wish it came with a dual clutch. Mods are cheap in comparison and many suppliers to chose from. Fun car I would enjoy driving and not worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

$200, I think, and now available. Does not get much easier than this.

Edit: $479. $17 or so per hp is still not a bad deal. http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...-tuned-p-34680

[u2b] /v/UTi1cf6zEn8&amp[/u2b]

Last edited by gonzo; 07-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: correct price
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Having not driven one but just going on buyers impressions this car is hard to overlook for the money. I have never been a fan of Mustangs but jeez for 30ish grand and a few bucks to tweak you can have a 450hp car that I would not be afraid to drive the crap out of. Ingot silver is nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Now is also an incredible time to pick up the 4.6 GT's from '10 which they'll be dying to get rid of. It's too bad they're only 5-speeds, but dealers are kicking them off the lots CHEAP compared to the '11 5.0. The 4.6 is also much more boost friendly (with plenty of proven and reputable solutions), and the difference in price between the '10 and the '11 will more than pay for the mods to more than shut the gap in performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Now is also an incredible time to pick up the 4.6 GT's from '10 which they'll be dying to get rid of. It's too bad they're only 5-speeds, but dealers are kicking them off the lots CHEAP compared to the '11 5.0. The 4.6 is also much more boost friendly (with plenty of proven and reputable solutions), and the difference in price between the '10 and the '11 will more than pay for the mods to more than shut the gap in performance.
As much as the '10 makes sense to buy from a bargain standpoint, I couldn't pick one up knowing that the 5.0s have a slicker 6spd, a 7k RPM redline, better fuel efficiency, and (imo) a better exhaust note. Not to mention, it's a five-point-oh.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
benton0311
Lance Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, Graphite

That's the whole thing about the car: it's such a damn good buy! Never really liked any Mustang before this one. This is the first one that really handles good and isn't underpowered for a muscle car.

I was looking around online and basic bolt ons yield pretty big gains, like 30hp for an intake/tune and 30+hp for headers. And Ford actually seems to encourage Mustang buyers to mod their cars unlike BMW's view: "You have a tune on your car and that's why your power seats stopped working so we won't fix them under warranty."

I don't think I'm gonna jump out of my 335i right away but I'm definitely gonna test drive a new Mustang. Really need to see if they really got the handling and steering figured out. Then, if my BMW experiences a major failure (fuel pump, vanos, turbos) then the day I pick it back up from being repaired I'll take it right in to the Ford dealer and trade it on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Haven't driven one yet, but love the '11 Stangs. Ford is doing a great job across the board lately.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
As much as the '10 makes sense to buy from a bargain standpoint, I couldn't pick one up knowing that the 5.0s have a slicker 6spd, a 7k RPM redline, better fuel efficiency, and (imo) a better exhaust note. Not to mention, it's a five-point-oh.
The only thing that really ruins it for me is the 5-speed. Otherwise, I could look past the other deficiencies of the '10.

The only reservations I have about the '11 are with the bottom end. You can squeeze a good amount of power out of this engine by keeping it N/A, but it looks like the ceiling is going to be a lot lower in the 5.0 unless you fix up the bottom end.

But, the thing about the 5.0 is that it already feels damn good and fast from the factory. It doesn't feel like other Mustangs in the past, where you were underwhelmed by the power. For '11, you get in it and you have the feeling you'd be ok at the level it's at for a while.

And, despte its LRA, it is a pretty nimble car. Very surprising for a Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
The only thing that really ruins it for me is the 5-speed. Otherwise, I could look past the other deficiencies of the '10.

The only reservations I have about the '11 are with the bottom end. You can squeeze a good amount of power out of this engine by keeping it N/A, but it looks like the ceiling is going to be a lot lower in the 5.0 unless you fix up the bottom end.

But, the thing about the 5.0 is that it already feels damn good and fast from the factory. It doesn't feel like other Mustangs in the past, where you were underwhelmed by the power. For '11, you get in it and you have the feeling you'd be ok at the level it's at for a while.

And, despte its LRA, it is a pretty nimble car. Very surprising for a Mustang.
If the buyer is not looking to squeeze every oz of power out then the 11' is the car IMO. Tune/exhaust and maybe intake and I would be completely happy. For a car creeping at upper 400's hp with so few and simple mods I don't think it can be beat while maintaining more than acceptable maintenance/reliability. If you want a snarling, fire breathing not so great DD then the 10' may be the car. Not that I would drive a tuned 11' as a DD but it would surely fit the bill. In the end, the better handling and ease of use would seal the deal on paying more for an 11'. I have an owner willing to do 500 over but am not pulling any trigger just yet. Although very tempting to bring back some youth to this old man.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
If the buyer is not looking to squeeze every oz of power out then the 11' is the car IMO. Tune/exhaust and maybe intake and I would be completely happy. For a car creeping at upper 400's hp with so few and simple mods I don't think it can be beat while maintaining more than acceptable maintenance/reliability. If you want a snarling, fire breathing not so great DD then the 10' may be the car. Not that I would drive a tuned 11' as a DD but it would surely fit the bill. In the end, the better handling and ease of use would seal the deal on paying more for an 11'. I have an owner willing to do 500 over but am not pulling any trigger just yet. Although very tempting to bring back some youth to this old man.
I feel like if I met you in person I'd be able to talk about cars for hours lol. I still agree with the majority of your posts and it's been a couple years on this forum. Just sayin.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
My past experience with Ford's powder forged rods is that 500whp has been the magic limit. Fine to that point but beyond that you are on borrowed time. Crazy thing is Ford goes to the expense of using forged cranks but won't step up on the rods. Waiting for confiration back if the new 5.0 uses a forged crank. The rods are powder forged.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

My friend bought one last month. Its definetly fast and a lot of fun. You will be able to tell instantly that it is a much bigger and heavier car than the 335 before you hit the twisties. Your paying for an engine and tranny the interior is nice but not great and seats are the same way.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I drove an '09 GT and it felt like a lowered truck compared to the 335i. I hope the 2011 does better. It definitely looks good on paper... I may have to do a test drive. Even the V-6 is worthy of consideration now.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
CGameProgrammer
Rep
Drives: 128i? (not yet)

I've briefly test-driven a manual 2011 V6 and put 70 miles on a manual 2010 V6. The car feels significantly larger than the BMWs, partly because of the huge hood with obnoxious raised ridge. The interior isn't quite as good and there's nothing equivalent to the optional sport seats BMWs can get. The premium package does give you fully adjustable gauge and ambient lighting colors though, which is very cool. But all of the non-gauge backlighting is pale blue so different colors can look weird.

The 2010 was very slow and the five-speed shifter was horrible mainly due to high resistance getting it into the gate. Also that car holds the revs a bit when you let off the gas, making fast upshifts rough.

The 2011 has a really nice short-throw shifter and a clutch that works well for fast shifts and the V6 is even faster than the 135i according to reviews, though the steering felt too light and overbolstered to me. The steering wheel is large too.

I feel like its legacy holds the car back since Ford makes concessions to have the car appear "retro" but it is a good car anyway, particuarly for the money. You can have a 412 HP one for as little as $26k. That's crazy.

Oh, and their "SYNC" system is very well done. You can just plug in an iPod or other MP3 player and immediately speak commands to play a specific song, playlist, or artist, and of course it has phone connectivity as well. There are also 0-9 buttons for you to type the exact station to go to when using the radio or satellite radio, and basically it's a well-done system. I think it's only on the premium package though. The sound quality didn't sound very good to me though.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I would guess this has been posted but just note the 5.0's numbers. Take what the guy says for what you will but the numbers are nonetheless impressive for it's price. Forget the other two cars for a minute and compare those numbers to many of the much higher priced models on the market.

My dad showed/taught me at a very young age a very basic test of a cars build quality. Not overly aggressive but slam the door shut and notice the sound. I would like to go to a lot a slam the 5.0's door and pound on the dash with my fist...another of his tests.

I will drop a car like a hot pan if I hear rattles. Drives me loo loo if I hear a rattle(s).

[u2b]/v/aB4vfZDYyO8&amp[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
My past experience with Ford's powder forged rods is that 500whp has been the magic limit. Fine to that point but beyond that you are on borrowed time. Crazy thing is Ford goes to the expense of using forged cranks but won't step up on the rods. Waiting for confiration back if the new 5.0 uses a forged crank. The rods are powder forged.
I'm pretty sure I read in that million page technical breakdown of the new 5.0 that it does indeed get a crazy good forged crank. Like you said, it is a little bit odd that they go the distance with the crank, but not the rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I will drop a car like a hot pan if I hear rattles. Drives me loo loo if I hear a rattle(s).
I take it you do not currently own a 335. Even my E36 at 8 years old was less rattle prone than my les-than-2-year-old 335. Makes me wonder, because the 335 interior definitely does look and feel like it was built to a higher quality standard than the E36, but it makes so many noises....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Did. 07 October production.

It is hard to remember rattles and squeaks over..

"I need the auxiliary cooler like the coupe has please. My car is running hot"
"It's not running hot? How do you know that?"
"We will install it for you free of charge but this is an isolated case"

"The o2 sensors are fizzled?"
"My HPFP is shot?"
"My rear windows are scratching themselves"

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The lack of well bolstered seats and a telsecoping steering wheel does bother me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by benton0311 View Post
Just curious if anyone on here who is used to driving a BMW has driven the 2011 Mustang GT? I'm hearing nothing but great things about it. I'm really curious to see if Ford has finally gotten the refinement down, especially when it comes to steering and the balance of handling and ride quality. If you're inclined to believe the journalists' reviews it almost sounds like they have.

I'm looking at the fact that my 335i will probably need a fuel pump or ten at some point and the open diff is really getting to be annoying. I'd love to mod the car more than just a tune but if it will be spending half it's life at the dealership then what's the point.

I really have no brand loyalty to anything. One company makes a great product one year and the next year a competitor might make a better one so I'm no BMW or even German car loyalist. I would never consider owning a 328 or 330 while the 335 and 135 are probably the only non-M BMWs I'd ever be interested in.

If I traded my 335i in on a 2011 GT fully optioned my monthly payments would go down by $100 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
The lack of well bolstered seats and a telsecoping steering wheel does bother me.
I spent three days this week flogging the new '11 GT 5.0 Convertible.

First, I will say it is surely a winner in the performance "bang for the buck" category.

After that it get's much more gray for myself. Yes, the interior has been improved. But still not anywhere near the Tier 1 competitors. The leather (pleather?) was nice with the white stitching. The gauges looked retro, but looked like a 5 year old had painted them onto the plastic. There was no telescopic steering wheel as mentioned and the seats were a complete joke. You could literally feel yourself sliding around when pushing the car (and I didn't really get to work it that hard).

The automatic transmission was another issue. I would expect that the manual would be a much more entertaining drive, because the auto was flat out lame. Yes it was respectably smooth, but if you're driving a performance automobile it would sure be nice to be able to put it into the rpm range you were looking for....ie. paddles or at least a stick that you can move in and out a la the BMW system.

The exhaust sound was much more tame than I would expect out of an American muscle car. The performance was ok. Didn't feel as fast as my F, it almost felt like turbo lag trying to move it. When pushed into a corner at higher speed (ie. 170 km/h) it had nowhere near the stability of my F, so I would assume far less than an M3. I'm curious as to what the stock tires are. This one had Pirelli PZero Nero's which are A/S and not true performance tires. It was decent in a straight line.

Power top was quick and efficient. Trunk space was very good for a convertible. Stereo was decent.

Overall, like I said earlier, a good "bang for the buck" car, but still not a true competitor to the M3/C63/IS F if luxury is any consideration.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #22
Dumb Bass
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 jet black e90 6spd MT

Just to add about the mustang. Have you read the quick info about the V6 engine? It got 305 hp and 31 mpg rating. It's only 6 cylinders and if I am correct it's an NA engine. Is that even true? That rating is way better than my 328i.
Appreciate 0