BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Great post, thank you very much for taking the time to write it. I think I would have continued driving on and ignoring the BMW gnats lol.

A friend has been giving thoughts about owning a Gallardo, I'll forward him the link to this post.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Thank you for the review. For me, a Lamborghini is the pinnacle of all vehicles. As a car enthusiast, if I don't own one some day, I haven't truly lived.

I'm actually just waiting for that one pinhead to come in here and say " I'd still rather my M3"
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Thanks for the compliments, everyone - much appreciated. I'm glad I didn't come across as being all "I just bought a Lambo so you are all pee-ons....".

It is absolutely heartfelt, when I say I miss my M3 - more than you know...

Couple of other points that I missed out on:

-Paint: The Gallardo's paint is SO, SOOOOoooo soft. The slightest contact with it results in fine marring/scratches. This past weekend, some kids drew X's in the (very) fine dust on the side of the car. It left scratches! Easily remedied with one pass of a random orbital polisher, using an orange pad and Mazerna Super Intensive Polish, but wow. This paint is going to be the death of me!! Thankfully, I enjoy it..... for now...... LOL.
The Gallardo has MUCH less orange peel than the M3. Once I did a full detail on it (one of these can take me 16 hours), it GLOWED, and the reflectivity was unbelievable - I couldn't have achieved this with the M3, without wet sanding the whole car - something I wasn't prepared to do!

Exhaust: I think I have found the perfect way to describe the Gallardo's exhaust, in stock form. It. Sounds. Like. The. Apocalypse. WOW. I LOVE it. At start up, the exhaust valve is fully open, so it is very aggressive. LOVE it. I liked the stock exhaust on the M3, but it wasn't in the same league. Amazingly, the Akra was right up there, subjectively. At a top-speed event in 2010, many spectators commented VERY positively about the Akra's sound, even in comparison to the Gallardos that were there. I don't think it's QUITE there, but like I said, the Akrapovic is my favourite mod of all time. Before I took delivery of the Gallardo, I was researching exhausts like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll be holding off on an aftermarket exhaust for the present. That sound just seems to cleave the air like a broad sword. Nuts. In a very good way.
Kind of along the same lines as "exhaust" - the exhaust tips on the Gallardo are hilarious. If you look inside them, the REAL exhaust is visible, and TINY in diameter. I know this is a common occurrence in the motoring world at present (at least the real exhaust is WITHIN the tips, unlike the Lexus IS-F, which has no connection, at all!). Just an observation.

Visibility: This is an obvious one, but WOW. What a glaring, alarming difference. The M3 is of course unsurpassed in outward visibility. In the Gallardo, shoulder checking is performed perfunctorily at best, and is frightening at worst. I parallel parked the car for the first time this week. Wow. I think my butt is still puckered.

Thanks for reading, everyone!
      03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Thanks for the compliments, everyone - much appreciated. I'm glad I didn't come across as being all "I just bought a Lambo so you are all pee-ons....".

It is absolutely heartfelt, when I say I miss my M3 - more than you know...

Couple of other points that I missed out on:

-Paint: The Gallardo's paint is SO, SOOOOoooo soft. The slightest contact with it results in fine marring/scratches. This past weekend, some kids drew X's in the (very) fine dust on the side of the car. It left scratches! Easily remedied with one pass of a random orbital polisher, using an orange pad and Mazerna Super Intensive Polish, but wow. This paint is going to be the death of me!! Thankfully, I enjoy it..... for now...... LOL.
The Gallardo has MUCH less orange peel than the M3. Once I did a full detail on it (one of these can take me 16 hours), it GLOWED, and the reflectivity was unbelievable - I couldn't have achieved this with the M3, without wet sanding the whole car - something I wasn't prepared to do!

Exhaust: I think I have found the perfect way to describe the Gallardo's exhaust, in stock form. It. Sounds. Like. The. Apocalypse. WOW. I LOVE it. At start up, the exhaust valve is fully open, so it is very aggressive. LOVE it. I liked the stock exhaust on the M3, but it wasn't in the same league. Amazingly, the Akra was right up there, subjectively. At a top-speed event in 2010, many spectators commented VERY positively about the Akra's sound, even in comparison to the Gallardos that were there. I don't think it's QUITE there, but like I said, the Akrapovic is my favourite mod of all time. Before I took delivery of the Gallardo, I was researching exhausts like crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll be holding off on an aftermarket exhaust for the present. That sound just seems to cleave the air like a broad sword. Nuts. In a very good way.
Kind of along the same lines as "exhaust" - the exhaust tips on the Gallardo are hilarious. If you look inside them, the REAL exhaust is visible, and TINY in diameter. I know this is a common occurrence in the motoring world at present (at least the real exhaust is WITHIN the tips, unlike the Lexus IS-F, which has no connection, at all!). Just an observation.

Visibility: This is an obvious one, but WOW. What a glaring, alarming difference. The M3 is of course unsurpassed in outward visibility. In the Gallardo, shoulder checking is performed perfunctorily at best, and is frightening at worst. I parallel parked the car for the first time this week. Wow. I think my butt is still puckered.

Thanks for reading, everyone!
Allan, you crack me up. You can make a long, thorough review very fun to read through...

What an awesome, awesome car. Glad you still come around from time to time. I think the F80 going to be pretty amazing too, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do as well.
      03-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
IFX
Banned
Rep

TTBEAR, I saw your comment on the orange peel.

Generally all your Lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, and Rolls have significantly less orange peel than regular cars. (Excluding Lexus)

Out of all of the makes I've had come through my shop, Bentley and Lexus have the best paint finishes imo.

It seems your into detailing, not sure if you've heard of Autopia.org

Warning, it will make you 10x more anal about your paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

Don't get him started!!!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #30
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Generally all your Lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, and Rolls have significantly less orange peel than regular cars. (Excluding Lexus)

Out of all of the makes I've had come through my shop, Bentley and Lexus have the best paint finishes imo.

LOL - I have it bookmarked on my computer. I like this website, too, for beginners, especially: http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/ - great step-by-step guides for everything, and great product suggestions.

Yes, you MIGHT say I am "into detailing".... I think NOTHING of getting up on a Saturday at 6am, and working on my car's paint until midnight. I crank up the tunes, turn the TV on if there's a good sports event on, and hammer away, often forgetting to eat all day.

I detail friends' cars for fun. They are a LITTLE wary about bringing their cars to me, though, because once on my lift, they might not see them for the WHOLE weekend, because I won't let them go, until they are PERFECT. They find it amusing that their family doctor is detailing their cars, LOL.

To wit:

03-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I agree. I am continually amazed how fantastic my parents' Lexuses (Lexi??) are. I read that the LS460 is wet sanded at the factory - I wouldn't doubt that they have done my Dad's GS, too - it is completely orange-peel free, and although he does very little to it (apart from getting his sucker of a son to detail it about once a year), it looks FABULOUS. I've never seen a Bentley in person, but love to examine its paintwork!!!

The orange peel used to break my heart on our BMWs. You could get the paint looking great, but not to a standard that I would call "show quality". If I had had the balls, I would have wet sanded the whole car, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Funnily, I have wet sanded a small section of the Gallardo, after someone got overzealous sitting on the car for a friend to take their picture.....
      03-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I am continually amazed how fantastic my parents' Lexuses (Lexi??) are. I read that the LS460 is wet sanded at the factory - I wouldn't doubt that they have done my Dad's GS, too - it is completely orange-peel free, and although he does very little to it (apart from getting his sucker of a son to detail it about once a year), it looks FABULOUS. I've never seen a Bentley in person, but love to examine its paintwork!!!

The orange peel used to break my heart on our BMWs. You could get the paint looking great, but not to a standard that I would call "show quality". If I had had the balls, I would have wet sanded the whole car, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Funnily, I have wet sanded a small section of the Gallardo, after someone got overzealous sitting on the car for a friend to take their picture.....

There's actually a show called Ultimate Factories, and they did a documentary i guess you can call it? On Bentley's factory. If i remember correctly, they are HAND painted (spray guns) and then after they have about what I think was 8 techs on the car sanding it with a DA to remove any and all imperfections and orange peel. Then polishing begins with the head tech hovering over their asses to make sure no spots are missed. Truly makes you feel like your getting your money's worth imo, to even think about the level of detail they go through before reaching the consumer.

Try youtubing it, should find it. Very cool show.

On my last previous car, (black infiniti fx35) I wetsanded that whole thing 2 days after i got it. Everything but the roof was done, and that thing was stunning. I won't be doing that again, until I get a garage to keep my cars in, my parents wouldn't let me keep it in the garage. I was heart-broken

Will you be doing your own maintenance on the G as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There's actually a show called Ultimate Factories, and they did a documentary i guess you can call it? On Bentley's factory. If i remember correctly, they are HAND painted (spray guns) and then after they have about what I think was 8 techs on the car sanding it with a DA to remove any and all imperfections and orange peel. Then polishing begins with the head tech hovering over their asses to make sure no spots are missed. Truly makes you feel like your getting your money's worth imo, to even think about the level of detail they go through before reaching the consumer.

Try youtubing it, should find it. Very cool show.

On my last previous car, (black infiniti fx35) I wetsanded that whole thing 2 days after i got it. Everything but the roof was done, and that thing was stunning. I won't be doing that again, until I get a garage to keep my cars in, my parents wouldn't let me keep it in the garage. I was heart-broken

Will you be doing your own maintenance on the G as well?
Thanks for the info - I will definitely look up that video!!! Wow, that is crazy attention to detail - LOVE it!! I like the idea of old-world craftmanship - hand assembled cars (and especially, engines), hand-stitched leather.... it imparts a real sense of soul to a car, I think.
Wow - good for you to do a wet sand procedure on a whole car. Ballsy!!

Maintenance on the Gallardo? I'll just do that of which I am capable, when the warranty runs out. If I do an extended warranty, I still have to have a Lambo tech do everything, though.... I am kind of anal about such things, though, and will do oil changes mid-way through the suggested intervals.

Thanks again!!!

Allan
      03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info - I will definitely look up that video!!! Wow, that is crazy attention to detail - LOVE it!! I like the idea of old-world craftmanship - hand assembled cars (and especially, engines), hand-stitched leather.... it imparts a real sense of soul to a car, I think.
Wow - good for you to do a wet sand procedure on a whole car. Ballsy!!

Maintenance on the Gallardo? I'll just do that of which I am capable, when the warranty runs out. If I do an extended warranty, I still have to have a Lambo tech do everything, though.... I am kind of anal about such things, though, and will do oil changes mid-way through the suggested intervals.

Thanks again!!!

Allan

Wasn't too ballsy, if I made a mistake, my dad has a body shop

When your clutch wears out, take a look into ceramic clutches for the G, I hear they last about 400 percent that of OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wasn't too ballsy, if I made a mistake, my dad has a body shop

When your clutch wears out, take a look into ceramic clutches for the G, I hear they last about 400 percent that of OEM.
Yep, I'm already on it - the best aftermarket clutches are kevlar, and I'm all over one of them, when the time comes!

I found the video:

Great documentary!!! Wow. It is AMAZING the attention to detail that goes into not just the paintwork on a Bentley, but the entire car, as a whole. I'd love to see a similar piece on Lamborghini . Thanks for the tip!!
      03-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Don't be so bashful Allan, I am sure you have the ability to fix anything on the Gallardo!!!! If you can fix people, I am sure you can fix cars

If you do ever need any pointers, I know a mechanic in Northern Alberta that would be glad to come down and give you a hand

By the way, great review I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 03-25-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #37
IFX
Banned
Rep

Right, kevlar clutches.. Where the hell did I get ceramic from? Think it was from drooling over ceramic brakes while typing that last post. lmao

I watched the vid again! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Don't be so bashful Allan, I am sure you have the ability to fix anything on the Gallardo!!!! I you can fix people, I am sure you can fix cars

If you do ever need any pointers, I know a mechanic in Northern Alberta that would be glad to come down and give you a hand

By the way, great review I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
Hahaha, thanks, Jamie. I look forward to having you stay with us again!!

Believe me - what I do, PALES in comparison to what you're doing up there - I kid you not.

Cheers!!!

Quote:
Right, kevlar clutches.. Where the hell did I get ceramic from? Think it was from drooling over ceramic brakes while typing that last post. lmao

I watched the vid again! lol
Hahaha - I initially thought I wanted carboceramic brakes, too, but then (as with lots of Lamborghini owners, it seems) - they figure steel is the way to go, ESPECIALLY when it comes to tracking the cars. Their rationale is that if you track the cars, you WILL have to replace brakes, and at something like $25,000 to do it at all four corners..... eeeeek. I sure don't have any complaints regarding the brakes, yet. We shall see, once I actually get this thing on the track!

Oh, and I found this, when searching for the Bentley documentary! Ultimate Factories, Lamborghini (Murcielage, SV)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ulti...sv_2045067.htm

I tried watching it, but it was late last night, and I was doing head bobs continually... I'll have to try again today, LOL....

There are "Ultimate Factories" programs for Ferrari, Corvette, MB SLS, Maserati, Camaro (??).... very cool!
      03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha, thanks, Jamie. I look forward to having you stay with us again!!

Believe me - what I do, PALES in comparison to what you're doing up there - I kid you not.

Cheers!!!

Hahaha - I initially thought I wanted carboceramic brakes, too, but then (as with lots of Lamborghini owners, it seems) - they figure steel is the way to go, ESPECIALLY when it comes to tracking the cars. Their rationale is that if you track the cars, you WILL have to replace brakes, and at something like $25,000 to do it at all four corners..... eeeeek. I sure don't have any complaints regarding the brakes, yet. We shall see, once I actually get this thing on the track!

Oh, and I found this, when searching for the Bentley documentary! Ultimate Factories, Lamborghini (Murcielage, SV)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ulti...sv_2045067.htm

I tried watching it, but it was late last night, and I was doing head bobs continually... I'll have to try again today, LOL....

There are "Ultimate Factories" programs for Ferrari, Corvette, MB SLS, Maserati, Camaro (??).... very cool!

Didn't know they made Ultimate Factories on all of those..

Tonight is now booked. Thank you sir
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #40
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Very nice review, and congrats! A few years from now, i hope to be doing the same, but with a Ferrari, ideally the 458 replacement
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #41
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Thanks for the entertaining read, Allan! Hope all's well and warming up in SK!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Very nice review, and congrats! A few years from now, i hope to be doing the same, but with a Ferrari, ideally the 458 replacement
Thank you! Good luck in your quest for the Fcar - I was thisclose to buying an F430 Scuderia, but I'm glad I went the route that I did...
Why the 458 replacement??? The 458 is AMAAAAAAAAZING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Thanks for the entertaining read, Allan! Hope all's well and warming up in SK!
LOL, thanks Will. Hope you are yours are doing great out there! We just had the warmest winter on record, so it's all smiles here! I think we had perhaps, MAYBE seven or eight DAYS of weather below minus 20. Other than that, record temps on maybe four days out of every week! (Screw the guys that own snowmobiles, haha!!!).

Stay well!!!
      03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #43
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Thank you! Good luck in your quest for the Fcar - I was thisclose to buying an F430 Scuderia, but I'm glad I went the route that I did...
Why the 458 replacement??? The 458 is AMAAAAAAAAZING!
I have always fancied V8 Ferraris, but the look of the 458 just doesn't gel with me. It kinda reminds me of a gecko, not the most flattering looking animal around No argument about its capability though. It's not looking good for me, as the newer Ferraris are getting uglier. Look at the California and FF!! I suspect Chris Bangle is secretly behind those atrocities.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #44
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I have always fancied V8 Ferraris, but the look of the 458 just doesn't gel with me. It kinda reminds me of a gecko, not the most flattering looking animal around No argument about its capability though. It's not looking good for me, as the newer Ferraris are getting uglier. Look at the California and FF!! I suspect Chris Bangle is secretly behind those atrocities.

I agree. I'm not convinced by the 458 looks, especially from the rear, and yes, the California and FF are just..... hmmmmmmm........

I think the new F12 berlinetta is OK, but it kinda looks like what I would expect the next iteration of the Toyota Supra to look like. The rear end, looks something resembling a baboon's arse, unfortunately...

Having said that, I would gladly drive one....

(740 horsepower forgives a lot of transgressions, LOL )