BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White M3

Front License Plate Mistake: FOLLOW UP Part II

Okay guys, for those of you who followed what happening from the begining, I finally got an answer from the manager himself.
First I would like to thank all of the people who were on my side on this one, most of the advices helped me a lot to deal with this situation. On the other hand, I don't know what to say about those guys who just kept wasting time about laws and stuff like that..
Anyway, this is what happened..So like I told you guys, the manager called me a week ago to let me know that it was OK for them to order me a new bumper from Germany. Then I dont know if you guys remember but I asked your advices about asking the Euro bumper instead of the US one. I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that there was nothing to loose, so I did it. Surprisingly, the manager was very cool about it; He said that he'll do his best. He didnt say YES yet, because he told me that they had to confirm if the euro one has the same measurments as the US. Does any one know about that???
Peace, Sadd.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

No idea, but if he gets you the Euro bumper that would be very cool of him.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

The measurements are the same. The only difference is the absence of the reflector on the euro model.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
KenH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m3 f25x3 e71x6

"The only difference is the absence of the reflector on the euro model"

So does that mean that it is legal in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

not that you care because you already have a bumper on your car, but supposedly there's a 4-6 week backorder on the euro bumper.

mine is in the shop currently and can't keep in there for that long w/o my insurance co. questioning me or possibly charging me for the rental car fees. ins co's typically don't get you into a rental until the parts are enroute to the body shop if the car is driveable.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
"The only difference is the absence of the reflector on the euro model"

So does that mean that it is legal in the US?
of course not but who cares.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

You will be really lucky if you get the Euro version. So what is going to happen to the other "drilled" bumper?? That could be a good buy on eBay for someone who is using the front plate...
      10-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
They're going to get you a US bumper, install it, and then piss in your trunk.
I like that one, best I have heard for a few days.

If it had of been me I would have gotten a couple thousand dollars of my next BMW. We have only 3 dealers in the greater Brisbane area and I get along really well with closest one some 2 miles away. Picks my car up, gives me loaners, damn if I would like him to piss in my trunk.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
They're going to get you a US bumper, install it, and then piss in your trunk.
, OMG.... this is so funny that I almost pissed my pants!!!!!
      10-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesDKE View Post
of course not but who cares.
There might be some reflecting (removable) stickers out there that you can use when the car is checked...

And get some Fabrise for your trunk...

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Can someone please enlighten me in regards to this thread. Are you allowed in the State that this forum member resides able not to have a front plate fitted?

I ask because he had it sitting on the dash for display. In our State one must have a front plate fitted and if I had my car serviced and the dealer saw the plate there on the dash without a note stuck to the back of it saying do not install he would.

Actually, I don't think the dealer here would let the new car leave the lot without it attached as they issue the plates and registration papers themselves, they have a direct computer link to the Transport Dept, they would probably get fined for breaching the Transport Act.

It's like the dealer washing your car, if you don't won't it done you have to tell them, should have had a sticky note on the back of the plate "do not fit" or not left it on the dash to begin with.

Anyway I would not want my dealer pissing in my trunk.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Can someone please enlighten me in regards to this thread. Are you allowed in the State that this forum member resides able not to have a front plate fitted?

I ask because he had it sitting on the dash for display. In our State one must have a front plate fitted and if I had my car serviced and the dealer saw the plate there on the dash without a note stuck to the back of it saying do not install he would.

Actually, I don't think the dealer here would let the new car leave the lot without it attached as they issue the plates and registration papers themselves, they have a direct computer link to the Transport Dept, they would probably get fined for breaching the Transport Act.

It's like the dealer washing your car, if you don't won't it done you have to tell them, should have had a sticky note on the back of the plate "do not fit" or not left it on the dash to begin with.

Anyway I would not want my dealer pissing in my trunk.
Even though front plates are required by law in many states, that doesn't prevent some people from not mounting them. And I don't see the sense in putting it on the dash either. It's pretty useless because it will never prevent a ticket. In fact, it will only bring attention to your car that the plate is NOT on the bumper.

But new cars leave the lot all the time without front plates because the plates come in the mail about two weeks after the car is sold and registered to its new owner. Many times when you see a car driving without a front plate, it means it's brand new. So having a front plate on the dash tells the police that my car is not new, I should have it mounted on my bumper, but it's not, so feel free to ticket me.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #13
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ok, I get it. The difference here is the dealer carries plates in stock, no waiting.

I also agree with you in regards to having the plate sitting on the dash as not being a good idea.

Well it will be quite funny if he gets a ticket for not having the plate on after he gets his new bumper fitted and is made to fit the plate anyway, now that would be karma. The dealer may not have to p**s in his truck after all.

Appreciate 0